3 replies to this topic

#1 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 10 July 2004 - 03:09 PM

I have come up with a small fest, hoping to get as much riding into the allotted time as possible. Thanks to the MTA's ability to change things in an instant I had to change several routes and add some new trackage to my trip. Included was a ride on a truncated L train, an impromptu ride on the M shuttle, and a late night super express run on the 4. While things can change again, the routes shown are pretty much the final list of routes. Any changes made will be made on the fly as they come up in the intermediate time.

I start out at Penn Station, meeting up with Jack Suslak for a quick exchange of good lucks and updates on each's trip on Amtrak and the subways.

Now for the rail part of the mini-jaunt: start out on the F, taking it from 34th Street to Coney Island

Then walk downstairs and transfer to the Q, taking it to Canal Street

Walk a short distance and transfer to the L, taking it it's temporary terminal at Myrtle Ave.

Then transfer to the M shuttle, taking it to Metropolitan Ave and then to Myrtle Ave(J/M/Z Station)

Transfer to the J then take it to Chambers Street

Transfer to the 4 and take it it's next stop at Grand Central

Transfer to the S and take it to Times Square

Finally transfer to the A and take it to 34th Street

For the shortened wait on Monday(due to the inevitable 2 hour+ delay on the Maple Leaf :blink: ) I'm playing it safe:

Take the 2 uptown one stop to Times Square

Transfer to the 7 and take it to Queesnborough Plaza

Transfer to the N and take it to Ditmars Bvd.

Take the next N to Times Square, transfer to the E

Take the E south to Chambers Street then take the next E back, exitting at 34th Street/Penn Station

Edited by EdFindlay, 10 July 2004 - 03:27 PM.

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82539 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 10 July 2004 - 05:42 PM

My comments:

Now for the rail part of the mini-jaunt: start out on the F, taking it from 34th Street to Coney Island.

That's 34th Street & 6th Avenue, as in one block east of Penn Station.

Then walk downstairs and transfer to the Q, taking it to Canal Street.

The tracks for each line are on the same level at Coney Island/Stillwell Avenue, with connections either over or under each set of tracks.

Walk a short distance and transfer to the L, taking it it's temporary terminal at Myrtle Ave.

Shame it's not going further, like the outside portion at Broadway Junction and beyond. But this line has had a lot of weekend closures as they get it ready for the robot trains.

Then transfer to the M shuttle, taking it to Metropolitan Ave and then to Myrtle Ave(J/M/Z Station)

Transfer to the J then take it to Chambers Street.

OK this works, however your waits for each train late at night can be expected to be long.

Transfer to the 4 and take it it's next stop at Grand Central.

Beware that late at night, the 4 runs local, in lieu of 6 service which remains in the Bronx and Harlem.

Transfer to the S and take it to Times Square.

I think it may be running late nights, but if it isn't, you can take the parallel 7 train.

Finally transfer to the A and take it to 34th Street.

Late at night the A is probably running on the local track along with the E. There is no C train and no express service during those hours.

Take the 2 uptown one stop to Times Square.

The 1 or 3 work too since it's just one stop. Best bet is to stand on the island platform at 34th/Penn Station between the two express tracks so you have a choice between the 2 and 3.

Transfer to the 7 and take it to Queensborough Plaza.

Transfer to the N and take it to Ditmars Blvd.

Depending how close you are to the morning rush, there may also be W service running along with the N. At Dittmars Blvd., look up at the Hell Gate bridge used by Amtrak.

Take the next N to Times Square, transfer to the E.

Take the E south to Chambers Street then take the next E back, exitting at 34th Street/Penn Station.

Again you could get a W inbound. At Times Square, it is a long full-block walk (though still a free transfer within the paid area) from 7th Avenue to 8th Avenue through a tunnel under 41st Street to get to the Eighth Avenue subway line.

On 8th Avenue you have the choice of A or E trains, and probably the C will be running by then as well. But only the E goes into the World Trade Center station at Chambers Street, the other two stop a couple of blocks north but the stations are connected.

Edited by KevinKorell, 10 July 2004 - 06:10 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the advice Kevin. I know it's a decent walk between Penn Station and Herald Square, thankfully I have made it twice before: once by accident, the other with the group at the conclusion of Applefest 2003 so I know what to look for along the way. I could use the walk anyhow ;). The transfer from the Q to the F was chosen so that I can exit from the line at West 8th Street in case I am running a little late. The L short turn at least gives me a chance to ride the complete M(only part not ridden will be the short distance from Broad Street to the Montague Street tunnel). The J/M transfer is pretty close, only about 5-10 minutes in both directions. I think the NYCTA knows alot of people are transfering to the J so the transfer is worked into the schedule B) Due to a tweek by the NYCTA that week the 4 is running express between Brooklyn Bridge and Grand Central making no stops between the two. The 6 must be taking up the slack then. Should be a great trip, I have yet to experience any expresses(the W, the 1, and the 6 were the only trains ridden and all were locals when I was down there last) The W isn't running at the time I'll be on the Astoria Line, so the N is the only option on that portion of the trip. I chose the E since it terminates in Manhatten at the Chambers Street terminal, so it's just a short wait to go north again and it puts me under Penn Station at the right time with the option to scrap the run south of 34th Street if I am delayed.

#4 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:06 AM

I got back home an hour ago and have finally gotten to my notes so here is the listing of what I did on my little jaunt through the NYCTA: On Thursday July 15th I rode the N from 34th Street/Herald Square to 14th Street Transfered to the L then rode it to 8th Ave. then out to Myrtle/Wyckoff Ave. Transfered to the M then rode it it's full length to Metropolitan Ave. then down to Myrtle Ave/Broadway. Transfered to the J then rode it to Broad Street and double backed to Fulton Street. Transfered to the 4 and rode it local to 42nd Street/Grand Central Terminal. Transfered tothe 7 then rode it out to Queensborough Plaza. Transfered to the N then rode it out to Ditmars Bvd and back to Queensborough Plaza. Transfered to the 7 and rode it to the end of the line at Time Square. Transfered to the A then rode it one stop to 34th Street/Penn Station. On July 20th I rode the E downtown to World Trade Center station on the express track, thanks to an E that went out of service at 34th Street/Penn Station just as I got to the local platform. Returned on the next E train uptown via the local track, but thanks to a broken end door on the car I was in (the car with the conductor)I got a little glimpse into the cars of the past and their sounds as we sped through the subway at maximum allowable speed(or so it seemed). Also of note were two pieces of work equiptment I saw: a diesel locomotive that was in one of the L stations(didn't see the name mosaic) and the infamous garbage train.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users