• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

The collapse of Colorado Railcar did not spoil AKRR getting the DMU for the Chugach Whistle Stop service, to be called the Chugach Explorer. I have been following this for the past few months since CRC ended operations. The car in the past week made it's journey from Colorado to Alaska, latest I heard is that it is in the Stacy Street Yards(as evidenced in this flickr photo on the Seattle Transit Blog) here in Seattle, being readied for it's journey to Alaska.

On AlaskaRails.org there has been photo coverage of a rare event on the AKRR recently that you can probably only see in Alaska(within the USA that is, I know of VIA 290/291), a mixed train. The FRA granted the Alaska Railroad a waiver to operate such services, which also include hauling diesel fuel cars. The train passenger counts were pretty impressive, 250 in one direction, 160 in the other. This most likely from the description of when it ran, was probably the Aurora combined with a Freight Train. This is one of the first times in 30 years they exercised the waiver.

Alaska Rails.org news item, March 25th

It is true, they hauled 17 freight cars on the passenger train last Saturday. They had 13 passenger coaches, 7 flat cars with containers and 10 loads of diesel pulled by 3 locomotives. I was told the railroad had a waiver from the FRA to do so but had not exercised the waiver since the 1970's. Before the run on Saturday, almost everyone from the railroad was present. I hope someone sent you photos. I'd like to see this. I guess it will continue to happen until the tourist season begins. The passenger load was 160 up and 250 back.

#2 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

The Alaska Railroad is stepping up with passenger shuttle from Anchorage(Ship Creek Depot, I believe) to Whittier with stops in Portage and Girdwood after a Rockslide closes the highway to Whittier. Good call.

Anchorage Daily News

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82931 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:59 PM

Aren't they still dealing with volcanic ash up there too?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:16 AM

Aren't they still dealing with volcanic ash up there too?

Looks like it has simmered down, plus that only effects Ted Stevens-Anchorage International Airport. The Alaska Marine Highway System is the other lifeline to the outside(passenger transport wise). Although with Redoubt, it's not like Mt. St. Helens, Redoubt has a habit of doing several eruptions over a few months, and then go dormant. Now if only the financial and technological hurdles can be overcome to close that 800 mile gap between the ARR and CNR.

It's good that they have extra coaches on hand to press into action, but I am sure with the Summer Ramp up next month, they were probably working on bringing them to service. When the Chugach Explorer arrives, and if these conditions persist, perhaps put it into service right away.

#5 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:01 AM

The latest update on the schedule for the emergency passenger trains to Whittier.

ALaska Railroad Press Release

Here is a photo of the Auto Operation on the Whittier Shuttle, not exactly the Auto Train, but it got the job done prior to the modification of the tunnel for car and train use. An interesting reason why that part of the operation is not being resumed right now. The waiver that allowed this particular operation was revoked when the highway project was completed.

#6 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:15 AM

Looking at some of the comments in the ADN on this, I liked the person who saw a good silver(or should I say, with Alaska being a state where there was a Gold Rush, Golden) Lining in this. Whittier, although temporarily, got commuter rail before Anchorage! Whittier is the town where most of the population lives in the same building(it's a big one). Now on local talk radio once, somebody suggested putting the capitol in the other, abandoned tower in town, after the routine move the State Capitol to the Railbelt bill was filed.

#7 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

The DMU for the CHucagh Explorer has arrived in Whittier. Wonder how much testing they have to do in Alaska before they can put it into service. Might be worth putting it into service ASAP if the Seward Highway situation continues. They hope to have the highway clear by the end of the week.

#8 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:36 PM

The latest ADN Info on the slide that is blocking the Seward Highway. The free train will continue until Tuesday. An interesting piece I saw on the Anchorage Daily News site, was the slideshow about the train itself.

Anchorage Daily News, April 18th 2009

#9 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

Latest developments on the rockslide seem to be keeping the Free Train running a little longer. Apparently there is an unstable slab on the hill in the slide area, making it too dangerous to clear right now. If this keeps up, might still be running when the seasonal shuttles start up.

Also, according to the Alaska Rilroad(PDF Press Release), it gets worse, their is an avalanche danger on the portion of the route between Girdwood and Portage, so passengers are being bussed from Anchorage to Portage.

Edited by EvergreenRailfan, 22 April 2009 - 05:48 PM.

#10 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:56 PM

Having the limited Anchorage-Fairbanks service 8 months out of the year seems to have some advantages. The ARR mainline is washed out near Talkeetna, as it is now ice break-up season. The Tenana Ice Classic has a winner.

Fairbanks News-Miner

The ARR bused the passengers on the Aurora to their destination. More bad news, yet another imminent eruption of Mount Redoubt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users