24 replies to this topic

#11 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:56 AM

I am available the 7-9 and 14-16.

The week of 23-27 I have commitment in Reston VA at a Standards meeting. That knocks out 21-23 for me,

3/28-4/1 is RPA (NARP) Spring Meeting in Alexandria VA, so the 28-31 is out for me too

Edited by jis, 14 January 2020 - 07:02 AM.

#12 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:23 AM

3/28-4/1 is RPA (NARP) Spring Meeting in Alexandria VA, so the 28-31 is out for me too

I did not realize the RPA meeting was that weekend.  I am not sure If I will attend, but I was considering it.  

Edit - it may work out that I could do both (part of fest and stop by the RPA meeting on my way home)

Edited by pennyk, 14 January 2020 - 08:42 AM.

#13 shanghai

shanghai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:58 PM

Kevin,

I have a board meeting in Dallas March 24 -26, then I'm going on to California

to spend a few days with my daughter and grandchildren.  I'll catch up with

the group on the next fest.

Regards,

Dick.

#14 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:03 PM

Any weekend is good for me. I was planning a for fun trip to NYC for the first weekend (7-9). So if the fest is that weekend, it'll give me an excuse to take Acela up or back so it'll be easy for me. Anything else should workout too. Since I missed the last couple, I'm looking forward to doing Boston again.

#15 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:09 PM

I did a rough compilation of the dates people said they were available. Maybe this will help.

Jishnu available 3/7-3/9 and 3/14-3/16
Saxman available any weekend but prefers 3/7-3/9.

Bill Magee any weekend but 3/13-3/15.

Bratkinson any weekend but 3/7-3/9
Penny-plenty if helpful information but no weekend selected.
Steve Weagant. Any weekend but 3/21-3/23.

#16 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:26 PM

I think I could be available any weekend.  The Silvers have the best fares the second and third weekends.  The last weekend may have the "warmest" weather (and the highest NYC hotel rates), but may allow me to stop by the RPA conference in Alexandria, VA on the way home for one day of the conference.  I am in communication with RPA now to see if they will offer me a reduced registration fee for one day attendance.

Also, the last weekend will have more daylight than the first weekend.  DST starts 3/8.

Bottom line, unless something unexpected comes up or the Silvers sell out, I think I can attend (for at least one day) any weekend.  

#17 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82820 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:38 AM

In analyzing the results of what weekends work best for those who have responded (thanks to Steve for putting it together), 3 of the 4 weekends end up being tied, with the third one having one less person.  Eliminating that one, as well as the second weekend which we want to avoid on account of St. Patrick's Day events, leaves the first and the last weekend.  Now between those two, and looking at the whole reason I am here at home writing about this right now (as opposed to being on a January Fest) is because we are concerned about the weather. The first weekend falls during what is still winter while the last one is after the first day of spring. That is not to say that bad weather can't happen anytime, but odds would favor the last weekend of the month being warmer and less subject to snow than the first one.  Throw in the fact that Daylight Savings Time would be in effect, and the thought that we are going as far north as Maine, the extra hour of daylight would be welcome on the Downeaster coming back from there.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#18 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:58 PM

In analyzing the results of what weekends work best for those who have responded (thanks to Steve for putting it together), 3 of the 4 weekends end up being tied, with the third one having one less person.  Eliminating that one, as well as the second weekend which we want to avoid on account of St. Patrick's Day events, leaves the first and the last weekend.  Now between those two, and looking at the whole reason I am here at home writing about this right now (as opposed to being on a January Fest) is because we are concerned about the weather. The first weekend falls during what is still winter while the last one is after the first day of spring. That is not to say that bad weather can't happen anytime, but odds would favor the last weekend of the month being warmer and less subject to snow than the first one.  Throw in the fact that Daylight Savings Time would be in effect, and the thought that we are going as far north as Maine, the extra hour of daylight would be welcome on the Downeaster coming back from there.

Is this an "announcement" that the fest will be held March 28-30 or are you looking for more input?

#19 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:38 AM

The 28th to 30th or the 7th to 9th would work for me. 

Haven't been all the way to Brunswick so really looking forward to getting in that mileage. 

#20 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5378 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:17 AM

The weekend of 3/6-8 is now out for me. Montana trip to visit our daughter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users