#11 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82806 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 10 February 2023 - 02:00 AM

March is out, as I have conflicts at work.   Ditto for very early April, and then we get into Easter week with the higher volume of travel.   That brings us to the week of April 21-22-23 at the earliest.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#12 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 02:00 PM

I could fly out Friday night and fly back Sunday.  I might miss part of Sunday, but at least I get the ride to Portland.  And get to hang out with you guys.  

#13 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82806 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 06:49 PM

Are we all in agreement as per what was said above, to go up to Maine on Saturday and return on Sunday?  (While the upside is getting out of Boston and away from the super high hotel rates for 1 night, the downside is that while doing the Boston activities such as the Green Line, we will be hauling our luggage.)  If Saturday night in Maine are we OK with Freeport option with the HGI nearby?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#14 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:50 AM

A quick look at Boston hotel rates and the rate at Freeport HGI reveals that it is 100 dollars cheaper to do the Freeport option.  The HGI at Portland airport is 149 versus 179 at Freeport.   The 20 dollar uber ride in Portland would negate any savings.  The early morning departure makes it impossible to enjoy the HGI pancakes, which is one of my favorite breakfast items.  

#15 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 12:09 PM

Spending the night in Freeport seems like it would be interesting for sure. I would be in. 

Edited by Long Train Runnin', 16 February 2023 - 12:10 PM.

#16 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82806 posts

Posted 05 March 2023 - 02:47 AM

A quick look at Boston hotel rates and the rate at Freeport HGI reveals that it is 100 dollars cheaper to do the Freeport option.  The HGI at Portland airport is 149 versus 179 at Freeport.   The 20 dollar uber ride in Portland would negate any savings.  The early morning departure makes it impossible to enjoy the HGI pancakes, which is one of my favorite breakfast items.  

Freeport will just require a short walk behind the outlet mall along the tracks and across one street to get to the HGI hotel.   One other downside of this version would be waiting in Brunswick between arrival of 693 and departure of same equipment as 698.  The layover is  3:10 PM until 5:45 PM, or just over 2-1/2 hours (whereas the layover between 691 and 696 is just 45 minutes). Surely those who want to can walk around.  There is a Byrne's Irish Pub adjacent to the Brunswick station, but other restaurants don't look like much -- and many are deli types that don't stay open in the afternoon on Saturday.   The aforementioned Byrnes has something called Blarney Dogs and other menu items for take-out.   If you'd rather, once we get to Freeport following the 13 minute trip from Brunswick, you could probably eat at restaurants in the nearby outlet mall, or order in your room from a delivery service.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#17 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 10:24 AM

I looked at Byrnes on yelp. I would probably eat there before heading back to Boston. I have two nights at the Hyatt regency by the airport. Sunday I can eat breakfast and meet the group at north station.

#18 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 12:43 PM

I looked at Byrnes on yelp. I would probably eat there before heading back to Boston.

Me too, except that I will be heading to FRE on the same train. Very nice menu.

BTW, my preference for doing Foxboro is on Monday morning. My flight back to Florida via EWR is at 3:20pm.

Edited by jis, 19 March 2023 - 10:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users