#31 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5378 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:58 AM

The Go-To card does work on Northstar, but I don't think you can load a round trip and have it serve as a day pass like a paper ticket.

The Northstar Go-To fares are paid at Target Field by tapping a machine identified for a specific destination - in our case, Big Lake.  That loads the Big Lake outbound trip on the card.  Since I believe the Northstar Go-To readers are only at Target Field, there is no way to pre-load the Northstar at St Paul or Mall of America.

Coming back, the Go-To card is tapped at Big Lake to load the inbound trip, and that gets you back plus, presumably, free rides on the light rail.  I'm not sure with Go-To whether those free rides are for the rest of the day, or just for 2-1/2 hours.

I got a Go-To card for the convenience and to save a little, but is seems like it's only convenience.

#32 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:50 AM

Bill is correct. The only passes that can be loaded onto a Go-To card is a 7-day pass, a 10-ride pass, and the various 31-day passes. None of these would be useful for our trips, as the 10-ride pass and the 7-day pass only cover up to $2.25 in fare.

Once you "tap" at a light rail or Northstar station, any additional "taps" within 2.5 hours are at no charge, except an upcharge if transferring to Northstar or an express bus, in which case the difference is charged. So, for example, at MOA the tap would take off $1.75 (or $0.75 if using a reduced fare Go-To card,) and then the tap at Target Field would take off the additional $3.50 to make a $5.25 fare (or additional $1.00 to make a $1.75 fare if using a reduced fare Go-To card.) I would expect that if someone were to tap their card more than 2.5 hours after it was tapped in Big Lake for the in-bound trip, a new fare would be charged.

Edited by jebr, 07 July 2015 - 08:55 AM.

#33 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:59 AM

Metro Transit has also released the information for a special event Northstar train for the Kenny Chesney concert at Target Field. It appears that our train will leave Target Field just before that one arrives into Target Field.

#34 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:44 PM

So for someone who is not planning to be in the twin cities anytime soon after the fest, it would appear that the paper ticket is the best option then?

#35 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:14 PM

Correct.

#36 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82820 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

I agree, I think the $10.50 round trip Northstar ticket which is accepted as a Day Pass on light rail would be the most appropriate instrument for us.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#37 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82820 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:00 AM

So Penny whatever you got in writing from your source please print out and bring it, so we have some written proof just in case we might be challenged.   Seems to be that for the same $10.50 if it can be bought at St. Paul Union Depot or closer to the hotel at Central Station, and then if the latter is true it could be used to get the small distance to Union Depot to meet up with the group if not already there.  And it can be retained and used all day until returning to the hotel, which would be disembarking at Central Station (full circle!).

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#38 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

So Penny whatever you got in writing from your source please print out and bring it, so we have some written proof just in case we might be challenged.   Seems to be that for the same $10.50 if it can be bought at St. Paul Union Depot or closer to the hotel at Central Station, and then if the latter is true it could be used to get the small distance to Union Depot to meet up with the group if not already there.  And it can be retained and used all day until returning to the hotel, which would be disembarking at Central Station (full circle!).

I have printed out the text of the question I posted on FaceBook as well as the response from Metro Transit, and will bring it with me.  I will also make a note of the names of the Metro Transit representatives with whom I spoke on the phone.

#39 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5378 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:29 PM

I have printed out the text of the question I posted on FaceBook as well as the response from Metro Transit, and will bring it with me.  I will also make a note of the names of the Metro Transit representatives with whom I spoke on the phone.

I'll be sure to bring that info with me when I try to bail the the group out of jail!   :P

#40 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:23 PM

Can't one just pay ones own bail? ;)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users