#41 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82818 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:28 PM

One more thought: New York to Rochester (281) on Saturday. Rochester to Springfield (448) on Sunday, Springfield back to New York on Monday. Just spitballing.

Funny that's exactly one thought I had in my mind.... and you know what happens when I have these thoughts -- they turn into itineraries.   That allows people to see the new stations in Rochester and Springfield.

And also on a smaller scale, but with a bit more off-train dwell time, here is a Rochester and Schenectady trip.... which would also focus on two new stations but only in New York State and not Massachusetts.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#42 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:27 PM

One more thought: New York to Rochester (281) on Saturday. Rochester to Springfield (448) on Sunday, Springfield back to New York on Monday. Just spitballing.

Funny that's exactly one thought I had in my mind.... and you know what happens when I have these thoughts -- they turn into itineraries.   That allows people to see the new stations in Rochester and Springfield.

And also on a smaller scale, but with a bit more off-train dwell time, here is a Rochester and Schenectady trip.... which would also focus on two new stations but only in New York State and not Massachusetts.

looks interesting to me.  Because of the "sold out" Silver Meteor due to probably Safety Patrol train, I could either get to NYC a day earlier or take the Silver Star, and spend the night in NYC on Monday night.

#43 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82818 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:16 PM

Somebody of course should check hotels in both places. For those loyal to Hilton family hotels, in Rochester there is an HGI walking distance (about 2 blocks) from the ROC Amtrak station.  There is also a Strathallan Doubletree about 1 mile east (shuttle or Uber needed).    In Springfield, there are either Hampton Inn or HGI downtown, but not walkable from SPG station.  Taxi or Uber needed. I've stayed before at the HGI, which is on the grounds of the Basketball Hall of Fame, and has an Uno Chicago Grill next door.   Schenectady has a Hampton Inn and Doubletree, both a moderate walk (several blocks or can get taxi/Uber) from SDY station.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#44 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:31 PM

Somebody of course should check hotels in both places. For those loyal to Hilton family hotels, in Rochester there is an HGI walking distance (about 2 blocks) from the ROC Amtrak station.  There is also a Strathallan Doubletree about 1 mile east (shuttle or Uber needed).    In Springfield, there are either Hampton Inn or HGI downtown, but not walkable from SPG station.  Taxi or Uber needed. I've stayed before at the HGI, which is on the grounds of the Basketball Hall of Fame, and has an Uno Chicago Grill next door.   Schenectady has a Hampton Inn and Doubletree, both a moderate walk (several blocks or can get taxi/Uber) from SDY station.

I checked Hilton Hotels close to NYP for day before and day after.  Reasonable rates.

#45 traintraker

traintraker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:RailFest day trip passenger train and trolley travel to various destinations in the Pennsylvania, New York and<br />Washington DC areas.<br />Visits to train and trolley museums and all model train <br />and trolley railroading exhibits and hobbies.<br />Interested in all forms of rapid transit..., bullet trains, jet<br />aircraft, superpower boats, space shuttle..., etc.<br />astronomy, tennis, bicycling, jogging, hiking, sci-fi,<br />music, movies, video games.

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:30 AM

Hi Kevin, for the January 2019 RailFest, I like the North Carolina Option. (Friday only) Maurice Carson.

#46 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82818 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:09 PM

One other thought is to move to the prior weekend, Jan 12 & 13.  Charlotte rooms are more reasonable that weekend with rates at the full-service downtown Marriott at $153 vs $290 for Saturday of the holiday weekend. Hilton Charlotte is $157, HGI is $126.  The trade off is the loss of the holiday.

The Charlotte event is a cheerleading competition - the 2019 Spirit of Hope National Championship at the Charlotte Convention Center.  Sometimes an outsider can piggyback onto event hotel rates, but this one requires registration for the event.  Bummer.

Having it on the holiday weekend has worked well for us most years prior, as it allowed for a free travel day home, which is important to those of us who have work to get back to or would need to take extra day(s) off.

Regardless of what the particular event is in town, having crowds of convention attendees tends to lead to difficulty in finding available and affordable places to eat, and could also crowd the transit lines we came to ride.  So on that note, even if we did the option to use the MLK weekend but go to hotels further out of town, we still would need to be amongst the conventioneers while Uptown to ride the Blue and Gold Lines.

That said, we discussed going somewhere in New York State, like Rochester and/or Schenectady, and maybe to Springfield, MA as well.  It was brought up on our most recent Sunday chat, and Bill mentioned the option here on Saturday morning, after which I posted 2 possible new itineraries.  Should we focus on this now?  Do any of our regulars who expect to participate this January NOT wish to do this?   Upstate NY does have a greater possibility of snow, especially the lake effect type.   We are coming up on 2 months before the event, so decisions should be made soon.

I looked at hotels in Rochester, and while they are a little on the pricey side, they are available and a lot less cost than Charlotte would have been. That HGI that is within a couple blocks of the Amtrak station is the best deal for those loyal to the Hilton brands.  The Doubletree Strathallan is much higher.

Much better news for Sunday night, whether we choose the Schenectady or Springfield options.   Schenectady both the Hampton Inn and Doubletree are very reasonable rates.  In Springfield, the HGI is well priced, and Hampton Inn is doable as well. 

If we do agree on either of the NY State options, those not living near New York City likely would need to stay there on the preceding Friday night, 1/18/19.  So far, good hotel rates can be had for that evening.

In short, it may be worth our while to go where the people aren't. We still can have a very enjoyable journey on Amtrak trains covering a few cities in 3 days.... Plus we could get to see new stations and also maybe see the Hartford Line in daylight albeit passing through on an Amtrak train.   My personal choice among these, for getting more travel in for the three days would be to go via Springfield, which would be on Trains 281, 448, 461, and 161.... although there are earlier trains back to New York City & points south if connections need to be made.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#47 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:31 PM

Being from Florida, the weather may be an issue for me, but I own a coat and boots. 

I like Kevin's choice of going via Springfield.

I would like for a decision to be made as soon as possible for several reasons: buckets on Silvers are high, and will get higher and possibly sell out because of the Meteor Safety Patrol train; I will be out of town the first part of December and would like to make reservations before I leave town.

Thanks.

#48 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82818 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:42 PM

One issue with reservations is that once more, Amtrak hasn't loaded the holiday schedule diversions yet for 2019.  So they are still showing a Sunday schedule for Sunday 1/20/19 and a weekday schedule for Monday 1/21/19.  It should be a Saturday schedule for Sunday 1/20/19 and a Sunday schedule for Monday 1/21/19.  This affects Monday travel, either an Empire Service trip from Schenectady or the Shuttle + Northeast Regional from Springfield.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#49 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:31 PM

My choice is Springfield. I could take 48 to Rochester and meet the group on Saturday. Monday I could fly home from Newark.

#50 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:21 AM

I may have jumped the gun a bit (because fares appear to be going up and there is limited availability due to Safety Patrol train), but I have made reservations arriving in NYP on 1/18, traveling on 448 between ROC and SPG on 1/20, and home from NYP on 1/22.  I figure I can fill in the rest later.

If dates or locations change, I will change my reservation and may suffer a penalty (or not) for doing so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users