#51 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82961 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

It is capable of running trains at 205 mph. Arrival times are consistently hit with precision in Japan, and there has never been a fatality.

I feel a bit skeptical that the same can be achieved here in the USA, much less Texas. Look how many train vs vehicle incidents took place in Houston, one of the endpoint cities of this high speed rail line, before and in the early days of their light rail line.

I wish it does not come true, but I boldly predict not only will there be late trains, and accidents involving fatalities, but also that the first such incident will involve an SUV.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#52 lunarwhite

lunarwhite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:15 PM

I feel a bit skeptical that the same can be achieved here in the USA, much less Texas. Look how many train vs vehicle incidents took place in Houston, one of the endpoint cities of this high speed rail line, before and in the early days of their light rail line.I wish it does not come true, but I boldly predict not only will there be late trains, and accidents involving fatalities, but also that the first such incident will involve an SUV.

The HSR will be fully grade separated, but as the recent prison bus accident proved we Texans can still find a way to hit a train.

#53 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82961 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:50 AM

Column in Dallas, TX Observer, 2/10/15:

Bullet Train Station Sites Are a Bullet in the Head for South Dallas

So sad. Pathetic. Last Friday the bullet train people announced their two preferred sites for a station in Dallas, and none of the elected southern Dallas leadership seems even to have noticed that they just got screwed.

Column

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#54 lunarwhite

lunarwhite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

Texas Central Railway decides to concentrate on the utility route between Dallas and Houston instead of the BNSF route.

http://transportatio...ton-route.html/

#55 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82961 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:53 AM

Houston, TX Chronicle, 2/17/15:

High speed rail firm examining I-10 route

Options are narrowing for how a proposed high-speed rail link between Dallas and Houston will snake through urban parts of Harris County, with backers of the project stressing they are trying to avoid developed neighborhoods after neighbors voiced opposition to some parts of the line.

Texas Central High-Speed Railway on Tuesday announced its intent to build the line in a utility corridor previously identified as one of two possible routes last year when federal officials held public meetings along the route.

Go

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#56 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43875 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:49 PM

Forbes Magazine, 2/27:

Whoa Momma! Did You See That Railroad Train Blow By?

Faster than a speeding bullet America’s love affair with the train may be on the verge of a revival. Should you have any doubt how deep that love once ran, drop by this Wikipedia page and scroll through the hundreds and hundreds of songs about trains.

The rebirth of the train is being lead by the Texas Central High Speed Railway working in partnership with The Central Japan Railway Company, the folks who run the Shinkansen.. a/k/a: The Bullet Train in Japan. The Japanese have more than 50 years of experience in running and maintaining high-speed rail which they bring to the Texas project. It remains to be seen if they will be a long-term partner in the deal but for now they are active engineering partners.

TCR has the ambitious aim of creating high-speed rail service between Houston & Dallas Texas by 2021. When TCR says high speed it ain’t kiddin’. A trip between the two cities would take about 90 minutes. 90 minutes, just about what my commute from my home out in New Jersey to Manhattan takes me… on a good day. Yes, that alone makes me excited about this project.

Continue here.

#57 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82961 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

Progressive Railroading, 4/6/15:

Texas firm slates public meetings to discuss proposed high-speed rail plan

Texas Central Partners, the company that wants to build a bullet-train service between Dallas and Houston, will host 12 information sessions about the proposed project this month in several Texas cities.

The meetings are designed for the public to learn more about the project, as well as to ask project-related questions or express concerns to the company's management.

Full story

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#58 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43875 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:41 PM

Corsicana (TX) Daily Sun, 4/12:

Bullet-train backers meet resistance in rural Texas

LANCASTER – The people behind a proposed high-speed train are promising to whisk passengers between Dallas and Houston in 90 minutes. They say they'll cut highway congestion, create jobs and grow the state's economy by $120 million a year.

Commissioners in nine counties along the route, who've recently passed resolutions against the plan, fear being railroaded into a project that will wreck land values, ruin the deer hunting and leave taxpayers holding the bag.

“There is not one privately funded, constructed and operated high-speed rail in the world,” said Ben Leman, the county judge in Grimes County, northwest of Houston.

“The concern is obviously taxpayer subsidy," Leman said. "It’s just a black hole. Look at Amtrak.”

Continue here.

#59 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82961 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:24 AM

KBTX-TV, Channel 3 in Bryan/College Station, TX, 4/13/15:

State Lawmakers Ask Texans in Congress to Stop High Speed Rail

State lawmakers from the Brazos Valley are among the legislators who have asked the Texas delegation in Washington D.C. to fight to stop the proposed high speed rail from Houston to Dallas in its tracks.

This one

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#60 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82961 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:56 AM

Citylab, 4/15/15:

Meet the Opposition to Texas High-Speed Rail

Turns out you don't need to rely on public money to be hated as a U.S. high-speed rail project. That much is becoming clear from the battering being given to a big Texas bullet train plan that's privately funded.

More here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users