Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82892 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 12 March 2022 - 01:03 AM

Biz Times, Milwaukee, WI, 3/11/22:

Amtrak to add second trip between Milwaukee and Twin Cities by 2024    

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation and the Minnesota Department of Transportation announced this week that $31.8 million in federal funding has been approved to add a second daily Amtrak round-trip train service between Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul, Minnesota.

This story is here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#52 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82892 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 12:35 AM

Wisc News,   4/6/22:

Wisconsin Dells, Portage officials don't expect station improvements needed for extra Amtrak trip  

Wisconsin Dells and Portage don’t expect improvements will be necessary at either city’s train station as part of a large rail improvement project between Chicago and the Twin Cities that will add another daily round-trip.

Article

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#53 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 09:33 AM

This would open up availability on the Empire Builder to a degree.  My personal choice would be a roomette with dinner or breakfast and lunch in the diner depending on the direction of travel.  

#54 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82892 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 11:19 AM

Steve, in Post #47 above, unless things have changed since last summer, it appears that the new frequency would essentially be an extension of 333 beyond Milwaukee to St. Paul, and the Chicago-bound trip would originate in St. Paul and be in the slot of 340 south of Milwaukee.   This means that going towards Minnesota, having lunch around Milwaukee and maybe dinner before arrival.   Going towards Chicago, definitely lunch out of St. Paul, and dinner again around Milwaukee.   The question is what type meals they would offer.  Just a cafe car, or a dining situation with Flexible meals, or full meals?  The latter two seem doubtful given the short nature of the trip and that I believe there won't be any sleepers on this train.  I would therefore expect Am-Burgers and whatever else one gets from a cafe car (although cafe service is not currently offered on Hiawatha Service trains).

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#55 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 10:38 AM

Steve, in Post #47 above, unless things have changed since last summer, it appears that the new frequency would essentially be an extension of 333 beyond Milwaukee to St. Paul, and the Chicago-bound trip would originate in St. Paul and be in the slot of 340 south of Milwaukee.   This means that going towards Minnesota, having lunch around Milwaukee and maybe dinner before arrival.   Going towards Chicago, definitely lunch out of St. Paul, and dinner again around Milwaukee.   The question is what type meals they would offer.  Just a cafe car, or a dining situation with Flexible meals, or full meals?  The latter two seem doubtful given the short nature of the trip and that I believe there won't be any sleepers on this train.  I would therefore expect Am-Burgers and whatever else one gets from a cafe car (although cafe service is not currently offered on Hiawatha Service trains).

I wasn't clear in my post.  My fault.  I meant that I would still probably take the Empire Builder because of the better meal service.  

#56 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82892 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:12 AM

Republican-Eagle, Cannon Falls, MN,  8/4/22:

More Amtrak passenger trips coming to Red Wing    

The trains passing through Red Wing are an integral part of the way the city operates. Businesses, residents and visitors all utilize the railway, and the expansion of trips through Red Wing might boost the local economy. 

Article

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#57 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82892 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 03:56 PM

Winona, MN Post, 11/9/22:

Second Amtrak train chugs ahead  

The planned second Amtrak train service took another step forward this past Wednesday, as spokespersons for the project talked with Winonans about what’s coming next and how soon a second daily passenger train could be running.

Update

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#58 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82892 posts

Posted 24 February 2023 - 11:45 PM

Wisconsin Public Radio,  2/24/23:

All aboard: New service line between Milwaukee, St. Paul, Chicago could be available as soon as late 2023    

Some Wisconsinites could soon have a more convenient commute between Milwaukee, St. Paul and Chicago. 

new Amtrak service, tentatively called the "Great River" route, could become available to passengers as early as late 2023.

Story

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#59 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82892 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 07:44 PM

WXOW-TV, Channel 19 in La Crosse, WI, 3/6/23:

Second Amtrak train to come through La Crosse  

Plans to bring a second Amtrak train through the Coulee Region every day is nearing completion.

The $53 million project is estimated to double the 124,000 passengers riding the Twin Cities-Milwaukee-Chicago route annually. The new locomotive would arrive around four hours after the current one.

Just a locomotive?   I thought they were getting a whole train.   Story here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#60 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82892 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 09:46 AM

Spectrum News 1, 6/6/23:

As Amtrak service expands, small communities hope to reap benefits

At the Amtrak station in Portage, about 35 miles north of Madison, the Empire Builder rolls through town twice a day.

Story

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users