#72 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82890 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:08 AM

Say, I am surprised that Bill didn't come up with this one. For the purposes of the Amtrak mileage tally, this change is going to be a little costly. CHI-WAS on #50 = 924 CHI-WAS on #30 = 780 So we have lost the difference of 144 miles per participant, and there are 4 of us. So with this fiasco our group lost 576 miles for the year!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#73 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:22 PM

I just got a call from Amtrak. Of course I had visions of freight derailments torpedoing my silver star ride. In reality I was being told that I should not expect to park at the Atlanta train station because there will be construction in the stations parking lot.

#74 MistyOLR

MistyOLR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

Yeah, I got that call too. Good thing we don't have to worry about that, huh? (Though I snickered a bit that long term parking's at the hotel I'm staying at).

Technicalities suck and legal name changes are a mess after it happens.

#75 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

Yeah, I got that call too. Good thing we don't have to worry about that, huh? (Though I snickered a bit that long term parking's at the hotel I'm staying at).

I got the call on my cell phone and I could hear about every other word that Julie spoke, which was not particularly intelligible. So I called back and was first told about this construction at Newark station, and to park at the hotel across from the station. I asked her since when did the Gateway Hilton start providing general parking. She sounded confused and looked things up in greater detail. Then she said, "Oh yeah same train number but different date and it is in Atlanta". Oh well. She also sternly told me to be at the station 90 minutes before departure. I said "Yes Mom!" (of course pronounced sort of like Ma'am) and thanked her for the info. :)

#76 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82890 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:55 PM

90 minutes early would be about 7 AM. With the regular bedlam in the station before and during train time, that 90 minutes could seem like 900 minutes. I don't think we need to check-in or anything, just get ourselves to the train!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#77 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

Same call? I got two calls, one for the arriving train and one for the departing train.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#78 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:04 PM

Same call?

I got two calls, one for the arriving train and one for the departing train.

I did get a second call that I did not follow up on. It is a pain when these calls arrive in the middle of meetings. :(

#79 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82890 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:06 PM

If they had really messed with the Crescent, I would have had to call this the 3-C Fest, of course nothing to do with the now dormant Ohio corridor. Still it was scary getting that call, because I recognized the number from Monday. I did get 2 calls also, the first one during dinner in a restaurant, so I didn't hear anything on the other end, as Julie figured I was responding and got quiet. The second one I was home, but it was a broken up message. Meanwhile, since you've answered the robo-call they figure you got the message. There are times like these where human touch would be a lot better ---- that way they are sure they got through to you and you understand. But I should not say that, because the next step may be outsourcing such messages to a foreign country. :o

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#80 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82890 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:41 AM

Another update to add Bill H on #19 ATL-BHM and differentiate between him and Bill M who will only be on #58.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users