Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:02 PM

WPVI-TV, 6-ABC in Philadelphia, PA, 5/12/15:

Rescue crews responding to Amtrak train derailment in Frankford

Rescue crews have been called to an Amtrak train derailment in the Frankford section of Philadelphia.

More

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:07 PM

NBC Philadelphia, 5/12/15:

50 Hurt After Amtrak Train Derails in Philly

At least 50 people were hurt after an Amtrak train derailed in Philadelphia Tuesday night, according to officials.

Story

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:18 PM

SEPTA website:

Regional Rail:

Chestnut Hill West, Trenton: Service is suspended until further notice due to police activity.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:20 PM

NJ TRANSIT website:

Travel Alerts
 May 12, 2015 09:57:11 PM
ACRL service is suspended between Philadelphia, 30th Street and Pennsauken due to an Amtrak train derailment. Buses have been ordered for psgr travel but not confirmed. An update will follow.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

WJLA-TV, ABC-7 in Washington, DC, 5/12/15:

Amtrak train crashes in Philadelphia, wreckage 'pretty bad'

An Amtrak train headed to New York City crashed and derailed in Philadelphia on Tuesday night, and several people appeared to be injured.

Train 188, a Northeast Regional, had left Washington, D.C., earlier Tuesday. The front of the train was going into a turn when it shook.

This story

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:37 PM

According to TV news reports on 11 pm news, Amtrak is suspended between New York and Philly. NJ TRANSIT is cross-honoring Amtrak tickets to NJ stations as far as Trenton.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:51 PM

I'm listening to a live interview with Philadelphia Mayor and emergency management officials.

Fire Dept is on scene command

Preliminary information:

Reporting 5 deceased

238 passengers; 5 crew (subj to update)

Philadephia Fire Dept responded as a 4-alarm - level 3 mass casualty incident (approx 120 firefighters; 18 medic units)

Philadelphia Police Department recalled off duty officers to maintain police coverage due large response to scene

NTSB is launching a team

Ross

#8 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:54 PM

Amtrak has no choice but to suspend service, as there are no tracks remaining intact all 4 appear to be gone and at least 1 entire cat pole is down and pierced the roof of an Amfleet car so there is no power either. They say it was the cafe car, but I couldn't tell from the view. I can also tell that it was one of the new electric engines that derailed, couldn't make out what number.

With the NTSB coming to investigate things, I don't see any service for tomorrow either. It will take a while before the NTSB releases the scene, and then at least a day just to restore service to 1 or 2 tracks. I would guess that it will be at least Thursday before any service is restored and possible Friday to Saturday before full service can be restored.

Mayor Nutter confirms Ross' report of 5 dead.

I'm actually in Allentown tonight so I'm watching Philly news reports in my hotel room; and that includes live footage from helicopters.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#9 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:25 PM

After comparing what I'm seeing on the TV with a bird's eye view of the area from Bing Maps, it would appear that the train went off the tracks as it was going around the big curve at Shore Interlocking. That might well mean that NJT service could run to AC tomorrow. But I don't see NEC service or SEPTA Trenton service running tomorrow. And of course that brings in the possible speculation of, "did the engineer go around that curve too fast?"

And it looks like the cat pole that I'm seeing impaled in an AMF I might well be on the freight line that joins the NEC right as you complete the curve while running north/eastbound. So that might make recovery a bit easier for Amtrak. It also appears that in the latest shots, that perhaps the two south/westbound tracks may still be intact. The two north/eastbound tracks are certainly fouled and most likely damaged. And it would appear that all but 1 of the freight tracks are out. One is quite clearly ripped up by the Amtrak engine.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:22 AM

Mayor Nutter  speaking again around 1:15 AM, nothing much new other than the above.  He said that all tracks are "wiped out" and he doesn't foresee anything running through Philadelphia for the rest of the week.   He will not update the press anymore until 11 AM Wednesday morning.  He did not rule out that there may still be people trapped in the wreckage.  He said that most people on the train were from out of town, from the Washington or New York areas, and as such he has reached out to Mayors Bowser of Washington and DeBlasio of New York.  At this time, 5 fatalities, 49 hospitalized (6 critical).

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users