CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:33 AM

AC news, 9/30:

Hoboken Crash Reignites Debate Over Positive Train Control

The New Jersey train crash that left one woman dead and 114 others injured has re-ignited a debate over an automatic train-braking system called positive train control.

Positive train control (PTC) deploys automatically when trains run above the speed limit, among other scenarios.

According to New Jersey Transit’s last quarterly filing, dated July 2016, none of the company’s 400+ locomotives were equipped with PTC software, nor was its track. According to that same report, filed with the Federal Railroad Administration, the company had installed some hardware components on eight trains, and scheduled a pilot demonstration for a 6-mile segment of track. NJT does not dispute the report.

Continue here w/video report.

#22 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:19 PM

Reuters, 10/2/16:

Engineer of crashed N.J. train was fully rested; questions remain

The engineer of the New Jersey commuter train that crashed on Thursday told investigators he was fully rested but has no memory of the incident, and a recovered data recorder was not working, a National Transportation Safety Board official said on Sunday.

Update

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#23 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:27 PM

WABC-TV, ABC-7 in New York, NY, 10/2/16:

NTSB: Event recorder on NJ Transit train 'not functioning'

One event recorder recovered so far from the new Jersey Transit commuter train that crashed in Hoboken killing one and injuring more than 100 more was not functioning on the day of the accident, officials said Sunday.

Here is the latest.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#24 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:56 AM

ABC News New York, 10/2:

N.J. Train Crash: One Data Recorder Wasn't Working, Other Remains Inaccessible

One of the data recorders on the New Jersey transit that crashed last week wasn't working, further complicating investigators' struggle to figure out exactly what went wrong, authorities said Sunday.

A woman was killed and more than 100 other people were injured Thursday morning when the NJ Transit train slammed into Hoboken Terminal.

Authorities have said the terminal's signals appeared to be working normally but that the train was traveling far too fast, but Bella Dinh-Zarr, vice chairwoman of the National Transportation Safety Board, said at a news conference Sunday that the engineer has told investigators that he was going only 10 mph.

vid

Continue here w/video reports.

#25 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:59 PM

Bergen Record, Hackensack, NJ, 9/30/16:

Crash was latest failure on NJ Transit’s Pascack Valley Line

The crash of a commuter train that killed one and injured 114 others is the latest, albeit most spectacular, failure on NJ Transit’s Pascack Valley Line, which has experienced an increasing level of mechanical problems since the agency lost millions in state aid for major maintenance projects in August.

That story is here.

Yeah, except that where the crash occurred was in Hoboken Terminal, not isolated to the actual Pascack Valley Line.  It was a common shared track that all Hoboken Division lines use.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#26 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:11 AM

MSN, 10/5/16:

Investigators access data recorders in N.J. train crash

The National Transportation Safety Board's probe into the NJ Transit crash entered its most intensive phase Tuesday after investigators finally entered the train's lead car and retrieved data recorders they hope will explain the accident's cause.

Here is the latest.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#27 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:07 PM

<p>Laquan Hudson</p>

HOBOKEN, N.J. — Five days after an NJ TRANSIT train crashed into the Hoboken terminal, killing a woman and injuring more than 100 people, National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigators were finally able to access the control car and retrieve data and video recorders from the lead car, CBS New York reports.

During a press briefing, NTSB officials said they expect the recorders will be able to provide investigators with “speed information, throttle positions, braking system information and about 100 other parameters.”

As previously reported, another recorder was previously recovered from the rear car, but it was not working on the day of the crash.

<p>Chris O'Neil</p>

The NTSB also retrieved a backpack belonging to the train’s engineer and found his cellphone inside, which will also be searched to see if it contains any information pertaining to the time period during the accident. For the full story, click here.

Keywords

cellphone   crash investigation   data recorders   NJ Transit   NTSB   

Follow @lctmag on Twitter

View the full article

#28 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:52 PM

UPDATE: NJ TRANSIT Service Plan for Thursday Commute - Thursday, October 6, 2016

UPDATE IN RED BELOW

Main/Bergen County/Pascack Valley/Port Jervis Lines Remain on Weekend Schedule

NJ TRANSIT is continuing the existing alternate service plan for tomorrow, Thursday October 6th with rail service into and out of Hoboken Terminal remaining suspended. 

NJ TRANSIT continues to monitor ridership volumes on the Main/Bergen, Pascack Valley and Port Jervis Lines and has been deploying additional capacity, when available, in selected areas to help alleviate overcrowding.

Cross honoring with PATH, ferries, NJ TRANSIT bus, private carriers and light rail will continue until further notice.

IMPORTANT NOTES: 

• Customers who normally travel to Hoboken should still purchase tickets and passes to Hoboken, so that they may be cross honored by rail into New York Penn Station or by shuttle bus from Secaucus to Liberty State Park.

• Customers for trains normally bound for Hoboken are advised NOT to use Trip Planner on njtransit.com or on the mobile app.  Please use the latest customer notice by clicking on the “Critical Service Advisory” located on njtransit.com. 

Rail

View printable schedules HERE.

• Main, Bergen, Pascack Valley and Port Jervis lines will continue to operate on a weekend schedule originating/terminating in Secaucus, with stops at Teterboro and Woodcliff Lake stations (weekdays only).

• Two additional peak-period trains will operate from Port Jervis in each direction:
    • In the morning, two trains will depart Port Jervis at 5:33 a.m. and 6:33 a.m. These trains will make all stops to Suffern, then stop only at Route 17, Ridgewood, Glen Rock-Boro Hall, and Radburn before operating express to Secaucus.Connecting trains depart Secaucus at 7:48 a.m. and 8:46 a.m. and arrive in New York at 8:03 a.m. and 9:01 a.m.
    • In the afternoon/evening, two trains will depart Secaucus at 5:19 p.m. and 7:27 p.m. (connections from New York at 5:03 p.m. and 7:08 p.m.). These trains will operate express to Radburn, then stop at Glen Rock-Boro Hall, Route 17 and Suffern. After Suffern, these trains will make all stops to Port Jervis, arriving there at 7:29 p.m. and 9:22 p.m., respectively.

• All rail service to and from New YorkPenn Station will operate on a normal weekday schedule.  This includes Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line and MidTOWN DIRECT trains.

• Raritan Valley and Atlantic City Rail Lines will operate on normal weekday schedules.

• Customers in New York City who need to access Secaucus areurged to take trains from New York Penn Station or use the Port Authority Bus Terminal for NJ TRANSIT and private carrier busing alternatives.

• Customers in Hoboken and Jersey City who need to access Secaucus are urged to use Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to Liberty State Park, where shuttle buses will take them to Secaucus.

• Morris & Essex Line, Gladstone Branch and Montclair-Boonton Line will have limited service running every two hours for points west of Montclair State University and west of Dover, in addition to regular MidTOWN DIRECT service.

• Please note: MidTOWN DIRECT service will makeadditional stops east of Summit.

• Additional Note:  All Raritan Valley and North Jersey Coast Line trains scheduled to terminate in Hoboken will terminate at Newark Penn Station

Customers may experience overcrowding and possible delays caused by congestion. 

• NJ TRANSIT urges customers to check njtransit.com for service updates and sign up for MyTransit alerts, which provide service updates via text or email.

• The Ticket Vending Machines (TVMs) located near the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail station at Hoboken now sell bus tickets and passes.

Metro North Service for Pascack Valley Line and Port Jervis Customers

• Two additional peak-period trains will operate between Port Jervis and Hoboken in each direction:

• In the morning, two trains will depart Port Jervis at 5:33 a.m. and 6:33 a.m. These trains will make all stops to Suffern, then stop only at Route 17, Ridgewood, Glen Rock-Boro Hall, and Radburn before operating express to Secaucus. Connecting trains depart Secaucus at 7:48a.m. and 8:46 a.m. and arrive in New York at 8:03 a.m. and 9:01 a.m.

• In the afternoon/evening, two trains will depart Secaucus at 5:19 p.m. and 7:27 p.m. (connections from New York at 5:03 p.m. and 7:08 p.m.). These trains willoperate express to Radburn, then stop at Glen Rock-Boro Hall, Route 17 and Suffern. After Suffern, these trains will make all stops to Port Jervis, arriving there at 7:29 p.m. and 9:22 p.m., respectively.

• For additional information, click HERE.

Bus

• Extra service on select bus routes which run parallel to Main/Bergen and Pascack Valley rail lines. 

• Shuttle buses will operate between Liberty State Park light rail station in Jersey City and Secaucus Junction.

Light Rail

• All Hudson-Bergen Light Rail service is operating on a normal weekday schedule.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#29 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:03 AM

New York, NY Post, 10/4/16:

Hoboken train was reportedly going three times the speed limit when it crashed

Federal investigators estimate that the crowded commuter train that slammed into the Hoboken Terminal was traveling two to three times the 10 mph speed limit at the time of the deadly crash, according to a report.

Go here for more.

Well to be honest, isn't the speed limit when one gets to the bumping post zero?? Three times zero is still zero.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#30 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:05 AM

The WashingtonPost  "Post Everything," 10/5:

Opinion

I survived the Hoboken train wreck. It scares me to think it could happen again.

Time for politicians to make safety a priority.

By Karl Ward

I was in the lead car of the New Jersey Transit train that crashed Thursday in Hoboken, N.J., sitting about eight rows from the front, on the left side, and as we entered the station the lights went out, I felt the car leave the rails and my first thought was: This is a train crash — duck and cover.

Thankfully, most of us survived. But I’m devastated for the family of the one woman who died, and I think about those hurt more seriously than me. And now that a few days have passed, another thought comes to mind. The whole thing should — and could — have been prevented.

The crash itself was chaos: Unlike the cliche, at no point did I feel like my life flashed before my eyes, but right before impact, I tucked my head down against the seat in front of me, put my hands over my head, closed my eyes and thought: This is not something you get away from

SNIP 

As far as I’m concerned, New Jersey’s government officials failed me and everyone else on that train by caring more about politics than safety.

The crash was terrifying. It’s terrifying to think we could have another one because our representatives won’t do their jobs.

Karl Ward is a site reliability engineer. He lives in Hillsdale, New Jersey.

Continue here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users