• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

It works for me. Thx. After about 15 fests with several pages and links per page, this is the first time a page didn't work. Shoot, even micheal Jordan misses once and a while. Keep up the good work.

#22 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

It works for me. Thx. After about 15 fests with several pages and links per page, this is the first time a page didn't work. Shoot, even micheal Jordan misses once and a while. Keep up the good work.

This is the 37th Fest for which web pages were created (AppleFest 2001 and a few mini-Fests without web pages probably bring the overall Fest total over 40), for the record, so you're only off by 22. And the page does work and did since it was created; my point was that I can't take the time to cater to several new technologies. I'm sure most of you orginally viewed your first Fest stuff from a desktop or laptop with either Internet Explorer or Netscape (the latter, like Michael Jordan above, since retired).

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#23 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

This is the 37th Fest for which web pages were created (AppleFest 2001 and a few mini-Fests without web pages probably bring the overall Fest total over 40), for the record, so you're only off by 22. And the page does work and did since it was created; my point was that I can't take the time to cater to several new technologies. I'm sure most of you orginally viewed your first Fest stuff from a desktop or laptop with either Internet Explorer or Netscape (the latter, like Michael Jordan above, since retired).

I don't think the problem is "third-world browsers" (ie: anything other than Internet Explorer). The problem is that modern graphics and display systems on both computers and other devices render color much more precisely than graphics systems did ten years ago. I looked back at the older Fest sites using both Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 10, and Mac OS X and Firefox (third world computer and browser!). The results were exactly the same. Some of the older pages were nearly unreadable due to the lack of contrast between the text and background colors. This is not a criticism of the Fest pages at all. It is simply a fact that web page designers cope with daily. Contrast matters.

#24 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

A few very minor itinerary changes were made today as fine-tuning continues based on everyone's individual plans coming into focus.

One applies to Norfolk. An added departure point from Newtown Road was added to accommodate those including myself staying overnight in that area, so we know which trip to board to meet the others. Those staying downtown still would board at MacArthur Square. We can confirm via text message that we are indeed on the intended trip.

I think my choice of these particular trips on TIDE are good as the plan puts us at the lunch location right around 12 Noon. However, when we leave the air conditioned comfort of the mall could vary. Some may wish to return to hotels to retrieve luggage if they are not carrying it along. Others might opt to do it later and meet us at the Amtrak station in advance of the Thruway bus boarding. The TIDE light rail runs on 15-minute headways during the midday hours, so we could leave later than shown in the itinerary and still have ample time to get to Harbor Park (Amtrak station).

Keep in mind the Thruway bus LEAVES at 3 PM, but it may get there and proceed with the boarding as soon as it arrives from its other stop at Virginia Beach.

Moving to North Carolina, I removed a Raleigh boarding location from our schedule for Train #75, since all 10 of us headed for Charlotte are now boarding in Cary.

In Charlotte, I think the approximately 5 PM start time allows us enough time for the shuttle from Amtrak and perhaps a little time to freshen up in our hotel rooms before setting out on our official ride of LYNX light rail. The entire route end to end runs from 7th Street Uptown southward to I-485/South Blvd. Since 8 of the 10 people are staying at the HGI/Hampton Inn complex, we will board at 3rd Street and ride north to 7th Street and then begin the southward journey. It is up to the other 2 people to meet us where it is most convenient for them. Please contact someone else in the group at that time to confirm we are on target with the itinerary.

For the trip back from I-485 to Uptown, we will be in smaller groups. Some have opted to eat at Golden Corral near the southernmost end of the line, while others will travel back immediately and then dine when they get back to the Uptown area. With the group fragmented, so the itinerary had to be as well. Therefore, I split Tuesday's itinerary in two parts, one for the pre-Charlotte Amtrak riding, and the other for within Charlotte. The latter now includes both scenarios, with Group 1 eating at Golden Corral and returning north on LYNX later, and Group 2 returning north first and then having dinner. A destination point of CTC/Arena Station was added, as it is more than likely closer to where most of the Uptown restaurants are located. Group 2 may opt to take one more trip on LYNX or walk back to their hotels.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#25 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

Ok. Understand the Norfolk stuff. Since I'm at the cy I join at MacArthur square at 10:40 am.

#26 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

In the past couple of days, we both lost one person and gained another. So the participant list total remains at 11.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#27 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Aloha Looking at the List I sure wish I was joining all of you. But please share my Aloha with Mike Hammond. It has been a real long time since we talked. Mahalo Eric

#28 MistyOLR

MistyOLR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

And now that I've looked at the list, I see I probably won't have any passing encounters in Kirkwood for awhile. Y'all are lucky I've found a few local railfans to greet 314 with :P Wish I could come along, but I'm looking forward to the pictures since I can't :) ... And while they may take forever to get around to posting on the internet, I promise pictures of my next journey to Atlanta "in exchange" :P

Technicalities suck and legal name changes are a mess after it happens.

#29 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

Participant list now up to 12.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#30 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Still 12, but yet another change was made today 7/13/13 as one person's plans changed.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users