#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:29 PM

In discussion at last night's chat session it was pointed out that people are making their reservations, and don't know which class to reserve on the Pennsylvanian.  So far a number of us will be in Business Class, whether paying outright for it or reserving Coach Class and then relying on an upgrade coupon.  Given other costs over the week, it would not be surprising if some do eventually opt for Coach since it's a day trip. But if you can afford that splurge (or have an upgrade to use), you know where this stands.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:21 PM

Business class is amfleet I on this train. Coaches are amfleet I with bigger windows.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:06 AM

Business class is amfleet I on this train. Coaches are amfleet I with bigger windows.

I believe they use Amfleet II equipment  on this train. Bill reminded us on the most recent Sunday chat that the Pennsylvanian shares equipment with the Palmetto.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:06 AM

From another site, here is the standard consist of the Pennsylvanian:

42/43
Pennsylvanian
4 sets with 89/90
HIA/NEC pool

4233|4333 —— Amfleet II Coach
4232|4332 —— Amfleet II Coach
4231|4331 —— Amfleet II Coach
4230|4330 —— Amfleet I Coach (WiFi)
----|---- —— Amfleet I Dinette
 (WiFi)
4201|4301 —— Amfleet I Business (WiFi) <== Low density, former Metroliner coach

#5 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:44 AM

It might be useful to get a consensus on whether to use the Portland or Seattle sections of the Empire Builder.  Since the sleepers of the two sections are far distant from each other, keeping the group together and in touch would be easier if we were all in one section.

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:05 AM

My reservations are in the Seattle sections of the Empire Builder (731 and 831 roomettes).  I  sprung for BC on the Pennsylvanian.

Edited by pennyk, 24 February 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

It might be useful to get a consensus on whether to use the Portland or Seattle sections of the Empire Builder.  Since the sleepers of the two sections are far distant from each other, keeping the group together and in touch would be easier if we were all in one section.

True, and I agree and usually do strive to keep everyone together. However on the other side of the coin, overall costs on this trip will be a factor to many as well.  The buckets on each section tend not to be in synch, although sometimes they are.  So on a given day someone might find the Seattle section cheaper than the Portland section, and vice versa. And even if booking a points redemption one is subject to what rooms are available at the time they call.   Should we still end up separated, we should have free run of the train to take walks and make visits so nobody feels isolated.

The way I see it we only have dinner on the westbound trip to worry about, and as long as the eastbound is on time, perhaps a late breakfast but definitely lunch.

So far I have the 830 car in the Seattle section eastbound, and I still have yet to make that call regarding the westbound trip.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:53 PM

My reservations are in the Seattle sections of the Empire Builder (731 and 831 roomettes).  I  sprung for BC on the Pennsylvanian.

Likewise, I am in Roomette in 0731 and 0831. I am also in Roomette in 2901, and BC on 43.

I (or the AGR agent actually) had to do a bit of arm wrestling to get upstairs rooms both on 7 and 29.

Edited by jis, 25 February 2015 - 05:54 PM.

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:42 PM

I (or the AGR agent actually) had to do a bit of arm wrestling to get upstairs rooms both on 7 and 29.

Not than downstairs is a problem either; it's ok to be downstairs too and inevitably someone from our group ususally gets rooms 11, 12, 13, or 14.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:29 PM

Likewise, I am in Roomette in 0731 and 0831. I am also in Roomette in 2901, and BC on 43.

I am upstairs in 731, 831, 2901 and 3000. 

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users