NickG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5396 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:37 PM

From the MTA's website:

December 21, 2005

Dear Fellow NYC Transit Employees,

Our subway trains and buses have been standing idle since early Tuesday morning when the leadership of TWU Local 100 called an illegal strike. This action has left seven million NYC Transit customers without their normal means of transportation to work, to school — to all the destinations they normally travel to without a second thought.

This unprovoked work stoppage is crippling our city and bringing unnecessary financial hardship to both businesses and individuals. It is vital to note that the strike, which is illegal under the New York State Taylor Law, has neither the backing of the riders who depend on the service we provide each day, the TWU International or the ATU International.

On its website (http://www.twu.org) TWU International President Michael T. O'Brien has urged members of TWU Local 100 to return to work, adding: "As has been reported in several media outlets, I personally spoke before the Local 100 Executive Board when it met on the morning of December 20, and told them that I would not approve this strike. I told them that the only road to contract victory for the membership was not by strike but continued negotiation."

Similarly, on its website (http://www.atu.org/) ATU International President Warren S. George has stated that the International has not sanctioned the illegal work stoppage.

Through the media and in court, the leadership of TWU Local 100 has consistently alleged that the MTA provoked this illegal action by proposing to make changes in the pension benefits of future workers through the bargaining process. Let me assure you that this is not a provocation, but a longstanding part of the collective bargaining process. In fact, a ruling by the Public Employment Relations Board issued yesterday in response to a complaint filed by TWU Local 100 on this very point reinforces this position.

Quoting the PERB ruling: "The TWU has failed to establish the required showing. A strike by the bargaining union members that the TWU represents is neither a consequence of the MTA's bargaining demand regarding a new pension plan, nor within the control of the MTA. Any number of procedures available to the parties to assist in resolving their bargaining dispute remain unexhausted. Injury that unit members may sustain as a result of a strike would be self-inflicted. This is not a logical basis on which to grant an application for injunction relief and despite the implication from the TWU, cannot be deemed to be employer provocation for a strike."

It is with all of this in mind that I ask you personally to join your fellow workers who have already done so and report to work so that we can begin the job again of moving New York City. Whether you are a Bus Operator, Subway Conductor, Station Agent — no matter what your job title is, your presence on the job can make a difference as we go about the business of healing New York City. Department of Bus employees should report to their assigned work location, but in the event you cannot, you may report to any Bus Depot. Department of Subway employees are urged to report to their assigned work location, but in the event you cannot, you can report to the 207th Street Maintenance Facility (RTO employees should report to the Master Tower) the Coney Island Maintenance Facility (RTO employees should report to Tower B ), Tiffany Shop, Linden Shop or Quay Street.

Sincerely,

Lawrence G. Reuter

Nick Gibbon

New York, NY/Philadelphia, PA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users