NJT news release:
AMTRAK TRACK WORK AT PSNY TO IMPACT NJ TRANSIT IN 2018
Two A.M. Peak and Three P.M. Peak Trains To Be Affected On NEC and NJCL Beginning January 8
November 14, 2017
NEWARK, NJ — Upcoming Amtrak track work at Penn Station New York (PSNY) will impact select NJ TRANSIT peak period train service along the Northeast Corridor (NEC) and North Jersey Coast Line (NJCL) with scheduled service adjustments to begin on January 8, 2018 through May 28, 2018.
The work will mainly affect a total of five trains per day which includes two in the a.m. peak and three in the p.m. peak periods. Of these five trains, one NJCL train in both the a.m. and p.m. will be diverted to Hoboken; one NEC train in both the a.m. and p.m. will terminate/originate at Newark Penn Station and another NJCL train in the p.m. will be cancelled. Other trains may have adjustments made to the timetable or station stops, and customers are advised to check the service timetables carefully.
“While this impact is far less than what we experienced this past summer, we encourage our Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line customers to do their homework and adjust their commuting plans if needed,” said Executive Director Steven H. Santoro. “I want to thank our customers in advance as we continue to support Amtrak’s efforts to renew critical infrastructure at Penn Station New York and avoid a repeat of the derailments we saw this past spring.”
The affected trains are as follows:
- NJCL train 3216, the 6:11 a.m. eastbound Long Branch departure, will now depart at 6:23 a.m. and will be diverted to Hoboken renumbered as 2604
- NEC train 3122, the 7:06 a.m. eastbound departure from New Brunswick will terminate at Newark Penn Station renumbered as 5822.
- NJCL train 3267, the 5:25 p.m. departure from PSNY, will originate from Hoboken at 5:22 p.m. renumbered as 2609
- NEC train 3171, the 5:43 p.m. departure from PSNY, will originate at Newark Penn Station at 6:03 p.m. renumbered as 5869
- NJCL train 3441, the 6:51 p.m. departure from PSNY, will be cancelled
Customers are advised that trains prior to or following the affected trains may experience crowded conditions.
Alternate travel options
Customers with flexibility in their travel may consider the following alternate options:
- NJCL customers may consider utilizing private bus carriers such as Academy Bus from locations including the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel. Visit www.academybus.com for complete details.
- NJCL customers may also consider ferry service from Monmouth County including NY Waterway’s ferry from Belford www.nywaterway.com or Seastreak ferry from Highlands or Atlantic Highlands www.seastreak.com.
- NEC customers may consider private bus carriers including Suburban Transit/Coach USA bus from points in Mercer and Middlesex Counties www.coachusa.com.
- Customers may also utilize NJ TRANSIT bus service on the Route 9 corridor.
- New York bound customers who choose to continue taking a train which now terminates at Newark Penn Station should purchase their tickets/passes to Newark Penn Station and then purchase tickets/passes for PATH.
- New York bound customers who choose to continue taking a train which now terminates/originates at Hoboken Terminal should purchase their tickets/passes to Hoboken and then purchase tickets/passes for PATH or NY Waterway ferry.
- Check njtransit.com or news media before starting your trip for service advisories or alerts that may affect your trip.
- Stay connected during your commute through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. Search for rail, bus or light rail-specific Twitter accounts for the best information. While we make every effort to respond to comments posted on our social media channels, we recommend that you contact our Customer Service team directly with critical or time-sensitive issues.
- Twitter: @NJTRANSIT
- Facebook: facebook.com/NJTRANSIT
- YouTube Channel: TheNewJerseyTransit
- If you will be altering your travel pattern during this time, you may want to update your travel alert preferences in your My Transit account. If you do not have a My Transit account, sign up to receive alerts at njtransit.com/mytransit.