A mobile application to make monitoring AAR radio frequencies simpler

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 harpojaeger

harpojaeger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Ham radio, cross-country train travel, software engineering.

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:43 PM

Hi all,

Long time reader/user of the site, first time forum participant. I take a radio (I'm a ham radio operator too) with me almost every time I travel on Amtrak, and I like to monitor the dispatch frequency as I go. I've found the Amtrak frequencies section of this site to be really useful.

Recently, I was talking with another railfan friend, and we discussed the idea of building a mobile app (for iPhone/Android) that tells a rider which frequency to tune to based on their location along the route. This would take a lot of the guesswork out of monitoring on the train– one wouldn't have to watch for mile markers or check the map on their phone to figure out where they were (especially helpful for newer riders who may not be highly familiar with the route they're on).

I have two questions: one for general users and one for admins. For users: would you use this app if we made it? What features would make it useful to you? For admins: can we use the On Track On Line frequency listings in our app? As far as I know, they're the most up-to-date listings anywhere on the web.

Thanks all!

-Harpo

#2 TheOldMan

TheOldMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Nevada Northern RR

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

I would be interested in such an APP. So for me and I would think a number of other please go for it.  What would be really cool if you had a version that ran on lab top and frequency could be transferred to scanners programing software.   The Old Man  TOM in shortened form

#3 harpojaeger

harpojaeger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Ham radio, cross-country train travel, software engineering.

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:42 AM

a version that ran on lab top and frequency could be transferred to scanners programing software

Good idea! That'd be a bit further down the road, but certainly feasible. Anyone else have feedback or ideas?

I neglected to mention up front that this is all going to be open-source, so the app would of course be free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users