#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

Today's progress towards the ACRF was creation of the expected fare pages for Jacksonville, Charlotte, and Norfolk. In all cases it's based on our planned Fest activities, but you may need to ride more to get to and/or from your hotels.

Regarding Jacksonville, the Skyway is free. But we need to ride buses between Amtrak and downtown.

In Charlotte and Norfolk, we will qualify for each city's day pass instruments during the official Fest rides, and you may also need to ride these lines to get to or from your hotels.

Still working on the Washington, DC area. Metro will be a general guide, since we don't have any plans to ride officially this time around. (We will do it 6 months later in the winter of 2014.). But there will be an informational page for VRE, which we are doing this time around. I'll let you know when that one is up.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

Page now up for Washington, DC area, including VRE, MARC, and Metro, even though we are not officially doing two of the three on this Fest.

Those who don't regularly travel in Washington, DC will need some sort of a guide to Metro when you travel to & from your hotel. It is important to note that the old paper farecard we have been used to using since Metro opened now charges $1 surcharge for any one way trip. They are trying to steer everyone to the SmarTrip® card, which costs a one-time fee of $5. Probably worthwhile to get it if you plan to attend the Fest next January as well.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

My SmarTrip® card arrived today. Got the minimum $10 card ($5 for the card and $5 fare loaded), and I can always add to it if needed once in Washington. It's not a bad idea, because those $1 surcharges on paper farecard trips will after 5 occasions exceed the $5 for the card. And some of us will be in Washington on Fests at least twice in the next 9 months. We still have over 2 months before the July Fest, so there's time to receive it by mail. Mine took roughly a week to arrive.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

My SmarTrip® card arrived today. Got the minimum $10 card ($5 for the card and $5 fare loaded), and I can always add to it if needed once in Washington. It's not a bad idea, because those $1 surcharges on paper farecard trips will after 5 occasions exceed the $5 for the card. And some of us will be in Washington on Fests at least twice in the next 9 months. We still have over 2 months before the July Fest, so there's time to receive it by mail. Mine took roughly a week to arrive.

Thanks Kevin for the information. I just ordered one. My sister lives in Maryland and I take the Metro occasionally when I visit her.

#5 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Penny, you could have purchased one while in DC this weekend. :o Too late now. As for me, I just added money via the online system to my card in preparation for NTD.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:33 AM

Penny, you could have purchased one while in DC this weekend. :o Too late now.

As for me, I just added money via the online system to my card in preparation for NTD.

Duh!!! Yes, I sure could of done that. What was I thinking? :o I likely will not be riding the Metro on Saturday, so I guess it is not a major mistake.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

Regarding CATS in Charlotte, the online pass order process requires a minimum of $12. So if you really wish to order the $6 day pass by mail, two people will need to team up. I updated the Charlotte fare page accordingly.

You can, of course, get the pass from a machine at any station before you board the first LYNX vehicle.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

Regarding the day pass for Norfolk- is it a timed pass as in "good for 24 hours from the time of issuance" or is it a standard all day only on that specific day pass?

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

Regarding the day pass for Norfolk- is it a timed pass as in "good for 24 hours from the time of issuance" or is it a standard all day only on that specific day pass?

Ed, the research I did when I created the page indicated that HRT's day pass expires at the end of the service day. So you would need a single fare for Wednesday night, and then a day pass for the multiple rides taken on Thursday whether as part of the Fest or not.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Kevin, I ordered mine on 5/9/13 and it arrived today 5/13/13. Very quick turnaround.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users