KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82607 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:29 AM

Mark,

Don't feel like it's only Seattle.  There's a very eerily similar situation in the "other" Washington as well with a completed streetcar project but no service available to the public.  Tucson and Atlanta recently opened their systems after some delays, so there is a little hope. On the other side of the coin, Kansas City's streetcar has now been delayed into 2016.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#22 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:18 PM

Mark,

Don't feel like it's only Seattle.  There's a very eerily similar situation in the "other" Washington as well with a completed streetcar project but no service available to the public.  Tucson and Atlanta recently opened their systems after some delays, so there is a little hope. On the other side of the coin, Kansas City's streetcar has now been delayed into 2016.

Kevin:  Thanks for making me feel better  :) .  I never had any doubt the project would eventually start up, just the disappointment over delays.  Which brings up the question of why can't  we buy these products (streetcars) made in the USA???  Apparently there is a company close by (suburban Portland) that makes or has made modern streetcars.  Not sure if they are still in business.  But if so, there must be a compelling reason why Seattle Streetcar chose to buy product from halfway around the world, with the inherent possibility of problems therein.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#23 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82607 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:28 PM

For that matter, why when the Willamette Shore Trolley burnt up its only vehicle didn't they buy from said Portland area streetcar maker? Instead they were down for several years and only last year did they resume only they don't serve Portland anymore.  Not sure where they eventually procured another trolley.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#24 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:27 AM

I wandered along 8th Avenue South in the International District to see if I'd be lucky enough to see real life testing.  No, but I did get a shot of this car within the heavily guarded (replete with razor wire, ouch!) car barn across South Dearborn Street.  I don't particularly like the color, but when these puppies finally start street running, I doubt I'll care!  Love the catenary.

Downtown%20March%2019%202015%20016.jpg

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#25 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82607 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:17 AM

Nice photo, and one should not really care about the color anyhow.  One might expect the cars to be carrying advertising to derive more revenue, and when they do, the wrap usually covers the original color anyhow.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#26 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:50 PM

I heard that testing would begin today (Friday).  I headed down early and my timing was good.  Actually the car wasn't being tested at that point--perhaps it was later--but this was rather a photo-op rollout for the mayor, city director of transportation and other dignitaries, who were onboard.  In the first photo the blue car is breaching the confines of the South Charles Street car barn and maintenance yard.  Next, it crosses South Dearborn Street.  It travels a little way north on 8th Avenue South, then stops.  Shortly afterward, it heads south back into the car maintenance yard. 

Streetcar%20and%20Amazon%20March%2027%20Streetcar%20and%20Amazon%20March%2027%20Streetcar%20and%20Amazon%20March%2027%20Streetcar%20and%20Amazon%20March%2027%20

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#27 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82607 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:45 AM

And now that I see more of them, they simply look too bland.  I would expect them to be covered with some sort of advertising really soon, probably before they enter revenue service.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#28 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43535 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:16 AM

And now that I see more of them, they simply look too bland.  I would expect them to be covered with some sort of advertising really soon, probably before they enter revenue service.

It looks like they've painted the "base" coat, but not applied any overcoats or graphics. 

The car needs some "pizaaz!" 

Perhaps they could have a design contest to come up with a bright livery and modern graphics package.  ;)

Ross

#29 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82607 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:48 AM

We're seeing most angles, yet I wonder if the streetcars are carrying the Seattle Streetcar logo anywhere on their outer bodies. They are after all the same division of King County Transit as the South Lake Union line, and those IIRC were quite colorful but all had the logo.

seattle2.jpg

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#30 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

Good point about the logo.  It's been so long since I've even looked, but would be nice to have them branded on all current and future lines' cars.  As to color, look at this entry from The Seattle Transit Blog.  Different shades representing the various neighborhoods through which the line will pass.  Certainly colorful.  I almost hope they are not "defaced" with advertising.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users