• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 Gswager

Gswager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

There are several restaurants in downtown (west of ABQ station). Most of them are within walking distance. However, I don't know what time it'll be closed. There are several bars nearby so it'll be busy during weekends, esp. with university students. There's a cinema across the street from the station. Downtown ABQ are transforming into an active one. I'm hoping that I'll be hanging out with you guys in ABQ. It's a shame that I'll be driving instead of taking Amtrak, unless I'll take Las Vegas (NM) station.

#12 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:33 AM

There are several bars nearby so it'll be busy during weekends, esp. with university students.

Not a worry, since we are there Tuesday afternoon through Thursday midday. And it's summer, off season for most students.

And yes the concern can be that when the city takes its sidewalks in, restaurants might close well before one would expect to be able to get dinner. What's the point, I ask? We'll verify by phone before venturing into that part of the city that preferred places will be available.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#13 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

The Hyatt restaurant is called Forque. I believe one needs to exercise caution in pronouncing this -- it's akin to the eating utensil.

The dinner menu: http://www.hyatt.com...Dinner_Menu.pdf

That looks pretty good. But expensive. Ill eat the pretzel sticks. LOL

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:03 AM

Well remember, I know the excuse is that we're on vacation, but it does not necessarily mean we have to splurge every night. If we haven't yet eaten at Subway during our respective trips, and don't plan to anywhere else, then it becomes a good idea. Looking at the hotel restaurant prices, I crave a five dollar footlong sub.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

Another idea: located about 1/2 mile from the Doubletree / Hyatt:

Slate Street Cafe

#16 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:20 AM

If you haven't found a place in Kenosha there is a Wendy's about three and a half blocks from the station on Sherriden Road...

#17 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

I found the Marina Gardens Restaurant 0.4 from the METRA station according to google maps. Open 24 hours. Kinda like a upscale dennys

http://www.marinagardens.net/

The menu is hard to read though you need to view it at about 400-600% zoom.

#18 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

I found the Marina Gardens Restaurant 0.4 from the METRA station according to google maps. Open 24 hours. Kinda like a upscale dennys

http://www.marinagardens.net/

The menu is hard to read though you need to view it at about 400-600% zoom.

This is a good find, very diverse menu with reasonable prices and open 24/7. But are they up to the challenge of getting this group in and out with enough time to catch the 6:49 PM train to Chicago? Very simply put, if anyone misses that train, it's an 11-hour overnight wait (a lot longer than the Haverhill incident of 2002). The next one is Monday morning at 5:51 AM and the only hotel within walking distance is a Best Western (which looks like $99 for the night of 7/22 if booked at the last minute).

Of course there is no requirement that everyone in the group eat together. If some prefer Wendy's, or pizza, or the above diner-type place, it might do us better in the long run if smaller numbers of people descend on each place.

Edited by KevinKorell, 10 June 2012 - 10:24 AM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users