• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:35 PM

I'll be ready to go. I never thought I'd be clamoring for a fest this much. I'll be fully vaccinated by April 30 or so.

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 10:31 PM

A weekend trip to somewhere in July is possible for me.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82697 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 13 May 2021 - 11:38 PM

So as of May 13th it was announced that mask requirements were lifted at the federal level, assuming one is vaccinated.  But there still exists an order to wear them aboard transportation such as Amtrak until September.    A July trip would therefore still require masking, at least aboard Amtrak.  

Still looking closely at a 2- day (1 overnight) Roanoke excursion to get us started again in travel together, the scheduled time between Washington, DC and Roanoke is about 5 hours each way.  I could live with that.   Of course if coming from somewhere north of Washington it would be longer, although I would likely break up the trip to give myself literally a "breather".

There are 5 Saturdays in July.   The first one (7/3) is a holiday weekend so I'd avoid it.   The last one (7/31) is harder for me being the end of the month (and our return trip on Sunday would be August 1st) but I can still consider it if my travels are solely Saturday and Sunday.    I'm concentrating therefore on the middle 3 Saturdays, 7/10, 7/17, or 7/24.

Perhaps if we do something again in September, it can be maskless aboard Amtrak.    We also still need to see the level of restoration of transit lines and Amtrak frequencies before settling on a destination and/or definite date.  I'll be watching how things develop over the summer.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:30 AM

As it stands now, any of the 3 middle July weekends work for me.  I am OK wearing a mask for 5 hours (removing it briefly for food or beverage).

#5 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:22 AM

I have the same availability as Penny.  

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:20 PM

For grins, I checked the rates at the Curio hotel in Roanoke for the 3 Saturdays considered.  Paying with cash, the first of the 3 Saturdays is the most expensive.  When paying with points, the 3rd of the 3 Saturdays is slightly less.  

I do not have a preference (and I am retired so I do not have to ask for any time off).  However, like most of you, I want to travel asap.  

Thanks Kevin for planning this fest (which I am hoping will be fairly small).  It will be soooo good to see those who I have not seen in a very long time.

#7 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:22 AM

Im looking forward to it too!

#8 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:55 PM

All work for me. I gotta ask for days off by June 15.

#9 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5375 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:01 AM

Any of the three middle weekends work for me.

#10 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5375 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 22 May 2021 - 03:58 PM

I put together a timetable for Regionals 147 and 156 for 7/10 and 7/11 (should be the same for the other weekends).  Times are from Amtrak.com.

Attached File  BRRX 00.pdf   550.7KB   17 downloads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users