Twin Cities transit and expected costs

40 replies to this topic

#21 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:23 PM

Maybe some verification needs to be done via e-mail rather than phone, so that in case of confrontation we have written proof that an agent of the company said that using a round trip Northstar fare as a day pass on light rail is permissable.

I just tried to find a way to email Metro Transit, but could not find any link for transit information.  I did find the follwing from their contact us page:

Note: Metro Transit does not provide trip planning assistance by e-mail. For route and schedule information, use the online Trip Planner or call a transit information expert at 612-373-3333.

#22 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:37 PM

I can verify these things from personal experience (or from what's written on the paper ticket.)

• Northstar one-way and round-trip tickets can be used as valid fare on light rail and buses for their validity period.
  • Northstar tickets can be purchased at all light rail stations (I've had Metro Transit tell me they can't, but it's an option at light rail stations and I've purchased it.)
  • The TVM states that a Northstar round trip ticket is valid for 24 hours from purchase.
  • When I've purchased a round-trip Northstar ticket, it was valid until midnight on the date of purchase.
  • When I've purchased a day pass, it is valid for a full 24-hour period.
  • When using a Go-To Card transferring from light rail or bus to Northstar, the Go-To card only charges the additional Northstar fare (weekdays $3.75 to Big Lake, weekends $3.50 to Big Lake, assuming normal fare.)
  • When transferring from Northstar to Northstar with a Go-To card, a new full fare is charged, but the 2.5 hour timer restarts.

I also have my two tickets from a couple weeks ago when having to buy a paper ticket (as I forgot my Go-To card.) I saw the Northstar option, and was hopeful to use it the next day from Fridley (purchased it in the evening, but it was the same price as the day pass) when the TVM said it was valid for 24 hours, but it expired at midnight instead. The day pass lasted for 24 hours.

If people wish to try the Northstar round-trip at Union Depot, the worst that would happen is that the validity period would be shorter than expected (so I would recommend that one person try this first before everyone does it if people wish to try this route.) But that would be printed on the ticket. The ticket explicitly states that it is valid for METRO and bus service for 2.5 hours unless noted otherwise on the ticket, and valid for Northstar when printed as such on the ticket. 

I would be extremely surprised if a round-trip ticket purchased at MOA would not cover the rest of the evening. (Honestly, I'd be surprised if a round-trip ticket purchased at Union Depot wouldn't work the full day.)

aiNESRql.jpgxJiMGMwl.jpg

EDIT: The "Surcharges may apply" is for the times when people may buy a METRO ticket and then transfer to an express bus...in those cases (except for day passes and possibly Northstar tickets...I know day passes cover up to a $3 fare, no idea on Northstar tickets) one would have to pay the step-up fare from a local to an express bus.

Edited by jebr, 23 June 2015 - 07:44 PM.

#23 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:01 PM

I just got off the phone with another representative, Joy, who off the top of her head stated that the RT Northstar ticket is an "elite ticket" that acts as a day pass until midnight on all vehicles.  I mentioned the concern about the website being inconsistent.  She said she would double check with her supervisor.

After putting me on hold for a short period of time, she returned to confirm that her supervisor agreed.  I asked for the supervisor's name...... just in case we are challenged.  The supervisor's name is Julie.

#24 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for the "on the ground" experience and the extra phone call.   The next question I have for Jeb is, were you in fact challenged on the light rail to show such fare? It's one thing to be told it's valid, but if a fare inspector is not encountered, the point is moot.    As we found last year, in Salt Lake City we encountered zero fare inspectors anywhere on the light rail and commuter rail lines, while in Denver, there was at least one fare inspection on every trip.  We of course want to do what is legally right, not to try to outsmart fare inspectors or hope we won't see any.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#25 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:38 PM

The only time I remember seeing a fare inspector is when I've had my Go-To card (always validated.) I've seen them on maybe 5% of my trips...it's very rare to see them. My significant other takes Northstar and light rail somewhat regularly, and has only had a fare inspector once on light rail, and never on Northstar.

In my experience seeing them look at other tickets (on the light rail) the fare inspectors will only care that your fare is valid. As long as the expiration time is later than the time they see on the ticket, they're not going to care about anything else, because nothing else matters other than that on the light rail. On the Northstar (if they actually check the fare, which I've only seen once) they'll check to make sure you've bought for the right station.

#26 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:22 PM

I have added a column to the fare chart showing the possibility of a Northstar round trip ticket being valid all day as fare on the light rail so we can see what that option looks like.  Trip times also updated to be in tandem with the changes made on the main itinerary.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#27 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:01 AM

Because of the inconsistency between the website and the humans to which I spoke on the phone (and since there was no email address on the website), it was suggested that I contact Metro Transit by posting on their FaceBook page.  I did so yesterday and received a response this morning.

For those of you on FaceBook, you can read the response there.  However, I will quote the short response below.

Metro Transit Sorry for the confusion. A round trip Northstar ticket is good for unlimited light rail and bus rides for the day it was purchased. Have fun!

#28 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5370 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:52 PM

My "Go-To" card arrived in the mail yesterday. Now, I can go to MSP!

#29 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:57 AM

With verification of the Northstar round trip ticket serving as universal Day Pass, I removed the asterisk and footnote from the recently added column.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#30 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:18 AM

Does the Go-To Card work on the Northstar and can you install an RT trip on it and use it as a day pass after that?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users