#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:06 AM

Unless I think of anything else, this will be the final update before we convene in the New York City area. By the time the sun rises on Friday morning, a few participants will already be on their respective trains headed towards the east coast. We're on the eve of our annual winter gathering to ride trains. The weather will be warm on Saturday, possibly hitting the 50's. However, rain is predicted for part of the day. On Sunday, it gets a lot colder, with a high of 37. There is a possibility of snow showers, but if that happens it will not accumulate. The rain should not bother us, except maybe at Coney Island. We only have to go across the street there to Nathan's. Our transfer in the Oceanville-Brownsville section of Brooklyn will be underneath an elevated subway, so we would not get too wet there. A few of us may get together on Friday night, going into Greenwich Village to get some Famous Ray's Pizza. This is all dependent on who can get to the area before dinnertime. Late arrivals will make it difficult for those people to join us. If you wish to join us, my cell phone number was sent in e-mail to all participants currently on the list. The participant list is always subject to change. We have had one late scratch from the list, and there are a few people who have not contacted me in a while. Our list right now shows 21 people, but there may be more who show up. Twenty of them will be there for the subway rides on Saturday. We expect 16 people for the LIRR excursion to Greenport on Sunday; only one will have not been with us on Saturday. On Friday, I will call Nathan's Famous in Coney Island just to make sure they will be open and ready to serve 20 hungry railfans in roughly a 45-minute period. If for some reason they are not, the area around the subway station in Coney Island is a business district so there are plenty of other places to eat. Also on Friday, around midday the MTA puts out its next weekly schedule of service disruptions. Hopefully we have seen the last of them. I should be home until about 2:30 PM on Friday, at which time Michael and I will make our way to Metropark. After a quick trip from Metropark to Newark, and checking into the Hilton Gateway, we will be free for dinner. For those who may want to update me on their progress or have any questions about anything related to the fest, my cell phone should be on from 2:30 onward. I will also have it on all day Saturday and Sunday, but keep in mind that the underground subway stations (as well as on the trains themselves) most likely will not have reception. It promises to be a fun-filled weekend on the rails! See you in New York! :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users