• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

New video and slide shows from SeaTrans. Starting to take shape. Looks very nice.
"Big Green Chauvanist"

#12 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

More photos, new videos and slideshows here.
"Big Green Chauvanist"

#13 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

Recent updates.
"Big Green Chauvanist"

#14 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

The time draws nigh. Grand re-opening set for April 24!
From SDOT.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#15 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

Well, I finally found myself in one of the pictures, though in the shadows. No matter, it was a great event, and, as you can see, the station looks fantastic, light years away from the sham it had become when "modernized" to look more like a bus station, fifty years ago. Now it's 1906 all over again (though the rest rooms are the latest). The original ticket office was on the side of--but within--the main waiting room; it has been pushed off to the interior leaving the waiting room all the more spacious.

From SeaTrans.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#16 Sloan

Sloan

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 12851 posts
  • Interests:Light Rail & Commuter Rail<br>Passenger Rail Stations

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

The $55-million King Street Station project in Seattle, Wash., which received $32.9 million from the U.S. Department of Transportation, has opened.

http://www.rtands.co...tml?channel=286

#17 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82567 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

Here comes the dedication ceremony, which is something different than whatever took place in April.....

The formal celebration to Seattle's King Street Station restored waiting room

King St. Station and Platforms
Saturday, July 27th 10am-5pm

Brief Event Overview:

Amtrak is celebrating the return to the restored space in King Street Station, the Amtrak Exhibit train, the region's advancements in rail transportation with our partners, City of Seattle, WSDOT, ODOT, Sound Transit, BNSF, and Talgo. Additionally we want to showcase our transportation partners Operation Lifesaver, Trails and Rails/National Parks, All Aboard Washington, AORTA, and Transportation Choices.

Amtrak will have the Amtrak Exhibit Train at King Street station for self guided tours of the train, and working with ODOT, we hope to have one of the new Amtrak Cascades Series 8 trains manufactured by Talgo.

More details will be forthcoming in future newsletters. Just save the date!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#18 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Large file, but an interesting before-after set of great pictures. From SeaTrans.
"Big Green Chauvanist"

#19 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:09 AM

When in KSS today, I noticed a digital screen on a stand--not attached to the wall, but against a pillar.  It was not yet connected to any displays.  I asked in the ticket office if this was the long-awaited arrivals/departures board.  KSS is the only large station I know of without such an obvious and frankly necessary amenity.  The city of Seattle, which bought the station from BNSF for all of $10.00 (was supposed to be $1.00 but that amount was rejected by the computer as too small a figure) supposedly does not want any signs, displays, or anything else attached to the walls.  The person I spoke to in the office didn't seem to know for sure, but I'm hoping it is.  If so, will photograph for future posting.  BTW, as magnificent as the restored station is, the acoustics are horrendous.  I, for one, can't understand what is being broadcast for the life of me  :angry: .

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#20 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82567 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:24 AM

Thanks Mark for the update.  I agree that announcements are useless if nobody can understand them.  In a cavernous space there probably isn't a decent solution to that problem.  In a place like Philadelphia's 30th Street Station, the ushers are experienced at making the announcements and pausing where necessary to avoid feedback and the reverberations of their words confusing passengers.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users