#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

Looking forward to another busy year on the rails!   What do we expect to happen in the year 2015?

First let's review what we mentioned in the Memories 2014 thread, things that didn't happen in 2014 that should take place in 2015:

• The nyc7.jpg  subway extension in Manhattan has been postponed many times, and now the latest target date is the 2nd quarter of 2015.
  • Houston's HCMTA was supposed to have its Southeast (Purple) and East End (Green) Lines open by mid 2014, but that has been postponed until April 2015.  And we are not going to get the entire Green Line, only a portion of it up to a controversial bridge that is now finally under construction.
  • Miami Central Station was supposed to have fully opened in 2013, and then 2014, but now the can has been kicked to 2015. When it opens TriRail will be re-extended to the station, and eventually Amtrak will be extended from its long time "Miami" location in Hialeah.
  • In Dallas, DART has been building both an extension of the McKinney Avenue Streetcar (M Line) and a new streetcar to Oak Cliff. Both now have target opening dates in the first quarter of 2015.
  • DC Streetcar also had targets repeatedly postponed, although no definitive dates were ever announced. It is not looking like it will make it in 2014 given the number of days that remain.

Also coming in 2015:

• Seattle's First Hill Streetcar line will join the existing South Lake Union line early in the year.
  • Delmar Loop Trolley is set to go into service sometime in 2015 in the St. Louis area.
  • TriMet plans to open its MAX Orange Line between Portland and Milwaukie on September 12th.
  • New York City Transit  nyca.jpgnycc.jpg  service between Brooklyn and Manhattan will be rerouted for a while on weekends for a while as the Cranberry Street Tunnel is rehabilitated following Superstorm Sandy damage.
  • VRE will extend Fredericksburg Line service to Spotsylvania, estimated for July 2015.
  • Kansas City Streetcar is set to open on its initial downtown segment late in the year.
  • LACMTA Gold Line Foothill Extension to be opened beyond East Pasadena to Azusa.
  • SACRT Blue Line extension to Cosumnes River College to open September 2015.
  • Valley Metro extension through Central Mesa to open sometime in 2015.
  • Toronto's Union-Pearson Express will open June 6, 2015.

Me

I plan on doing what I did the past several years, attaining Amtrak Select Plus status by taking random points earning trips whenever and wherever possible.  The new quest starts in January!  I also intend to do a trip on the NJ TRANSIT Raritan Valley Line, a through trip that doesn't require changing in Newark.

OTOL Fests

OTOL will be visiting the Washington, DC, Northern Virginia, and Baltimore, MD areas as we have our Washington Area RailFest 2015 event in January.   As for the summer, our activities have not yet  been decided but it surely will turn out to  be another memorable time no matter where we end up!

What are your rail plans for the upcoming year?  Please share!

Edited by KevinKorell, 24 April 2015 - 10:00 AM.
Added Valley Metro Mesa extension

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:45 AM

Updated when I realized 2 very important omissions, the LACMTA Gold Line Foothill extension to Azusa and the SACRT Blue Line extension to Cosumnes River College.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:06 PM

Updated again to add the VRE Spotsylvania extension, set to open this coming July.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:36 PM

Well, at least when the Miami Station opens I will drive down to West Palm Beach and take Tri-Rail to go and check it out on a day trip.

I actually would be quite surprised if I make Select for 2016. Only times I will be riding Amtrak are for the various rail fests, and that will be it. I am now in essentially non-Amtrak territory. Closest Amtrak (KIS) is an hour away, twice  day in each direction. Also I will get in some opportunistic points runs when I am up in NJ, which I will be at least 6 times this coming year. Still. It will  be a miracle if I make Select.

#5 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

I plan on visiting family in NJ in June.  Given the unreliability of the eastbound Empire Builder connecting in Chicago, I'll fly eastbound and hope for the best with Amtrak westbound.  I am amassing Guest Rewards points, so I should be able to cover the westbound EB with points.  Guest Rewards is a godsend, given the cost of sleeper accommodations these days.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:17 PM

One thing that won't happen in 2015 is Phase 2 of LACMTA's Expo Line, whose opening date according to their own website has slipped from 2015 to now "early 2016".  As always, believe it when you see it!!

And another thing that should happen in 2015 that was overlooked  and now added, is the Central Mesa extension of Valley Metro's light rail line.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:01 AM

List updated to include now announced June 6, 2015 opening of Toronto's Union Station-Pearson Airport (UP) Express.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users