• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:35 PM

In the case of Eastern Washington, I have suggested in the past that the purchase of the Palouse River and Coulee City RR should have included funding to increase train speeds to 79MPH between Spokane and Pullman, so passenger service could be brought back. I never expected a couple university students to do such a study. In the current state, this train may not happen anytime soon.

SeattlePi.com

The two schools in question, Washington State University in Pullman, and Eastern Washington University in Cheney, are rivals. 10 years ago, enrollment at EWU, which used to be only for teachers, had fallen so much, that Olympia considered merging the schools. It never happened, and now they are collaborating on a study. Oh, well. (I am an EWU Grad, by the way)

WSU landscape architecture students are conducting public surveys while EWU students are preparing a market analysis. WSU Associate Professor Bob Scarfo says the information will be presented to people with an interest in train service.

Whitman County Commissioner Greg Partch told the Moscow-Pullman Daily News the rail service would be beneficial but the county probably would not be able to provide any financial assistance.

Edited by EvergreenRailfan, 13 May 2009 - 06:36 PM.

#2 JayPea

JayPea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

Hey, I'm an EWU grad, too! I vaguely remember the Spokane-Lewiston run the Northern Pacific did with Budd Rail Diesel Cars. I'd love to see a return to passenger service, too, though a lot has to happen first before it becomes reality. But at least the possibility is on the table.

#3 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:34 PM

Hey, I'm an EWU grad, too! I vaguely remember the Spokane-Lewiston run the Northern Pacific did with Budd Rail Diesel Cars. I'd love to see a return to passenger service, too, though a lot has to happen first before it becomes reality. But at least the possibility is on the table.

Having the state own the right of way now will help. Although the purchase was for freight reasons. Lose the railroad, see more trucks on the highways. I know the CW Branch, from reading the Trains Magazine article on the Eastern Washington Gateway RR, and the press releases about the state pulling and then re-negotiating the operator's lease, that parts of the track don't even meet FRA Class I standards(means less than 10MPH), and the rails are 100 years old. WSDOT's issue was the operator was not holding up to an improvement schedule they agreed to. It's resolved for now.

#4 JayPea

JayPea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

Having the state own the right of way now will help. Although the purchase was for freight reasons. Lose the railroad, see more trucks on the highways. I know the CW Branch, from reading the Trains Magazine article on the Eastern Washington Gateway RR, and the press releases about the state pulling and then re-negotiating the operator's lease, that parts of the track don't even meet FRA Class I standards(means less than 10MPH), and the rails are 100 years old. WSDOT's issue was the operator was not holding up to an improvement schedule they agreed to. It's resolved for now.

I can well imagine the folks who got the ball rolling to construct the Geiger Spur, in the West Plains area west of Spokane, are happy to see the lease issue on the CW branch resolved, too. Slightly off topic, I'd like to see, if at all possible financially, a solution to the problem of the trestle that was burned in August of 2006 on the P&CC's line between Colfax and Moscow. I live in Colfax, literally just a few feet from the railroad, right on Main Street, and work the graveyard shift at my job. I'd love to once again get blasted out of a sound sleep by locomotives blowing their horns at all the nearby crossings!!! :lol: :P

On the Spokane-Pullman line I know the state is committed to keeping the rails intact. That line gets quite a bit of freight traffic, and in fact recently ugraded grain loading facilities in the town of Oakesdale to accomodate 105-car grain trains. That shows me they have a big stake in keeping at least that line going well.

#5 ICGsteve

ICGsteve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

My daughter goes to WSU, I would love to see rail service, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that this is "pie in the sky" stuff:

Currently, one train makes a round trip from Colfax through Pullman to Moscow each Tuesday and Thursday. Occasionally, there is a Saturday run as well. At a maximum, there are six train trips through Pullman each week

http://www.pullman-w...aspx?PageID=243

#6 ICGsteve

ICGsteve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:57 PM

a fun fact: In 2002 Patrick Leahy thought that Amtrak trains went to Pullman. Amtrak does have a bus, which so far as I know is actually a code share with a regularly scheduled bus service.

But will towns like Pullman, Washington, or Anniston, Alabama, or Montpelier, Vermont, still be served by passenger rail if Amtrak is broken up and left to the states to fund? I am not so sure.

http://leahy.senate....06/062002b.html

#7 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:55 PM

a fun fact: In 2002 Patrick Leahy thought that Amtrak trains went to Pullman. Amtrak does have a bus, which so far as I know is actually a code share with a regularly scheduled bus service.

I know the company, I think. Northwestern Trailways, which operates also as Northwestern Stage Lines and Boise-Winnemucca Stages. They also have a regularly scheduled run from Spokane that stops at Ephreta, Wenatchee and Leavenworth(stops the Empire Builder makes, or will make). This same company also made an infamous wrong turn in Seattle last year during the snowstorm.

#8 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:57 AM

. I'd love to once again get blasted out of a sound sleep by locomotives blowing their horns at all the nearby crossings!!! :lol: :P

On the Spokane-Pullman line I know the state is committed to keeping the rails intact. That line gets quite a bit of freight traffic, and in fact recently ugraded grain loading facilities in the town of Oakesdale to accomodate 105-car grain trains. That shows me they have a big stake in keeping at least that line going well.

If it were the conditions that allow the TALGO trains to go as fast as they do over here, it will be a sight. An example. Friday, I was testing out my ORCA Card(the King County METRO, Everett Transit, Pierce Transit, Community Transit, Kitsap Transit, Sound Transit and Washington State Ferries joint ticketing/pass system, will replace 300 seperate fare media) on SOUNDER, and was taking the last of the two reverse-commuter SOUNDERS back to Seattle at KENT STation, and Amtrak 516 was ahead of it, and it just raced down the right of way(Amtrak does not stop at KENT Station).

#9 JayPea

JayPea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

My daughter goes to WSU, I would love to see rail service, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that this is "pie in the sky" stuff:

Currently, one train makes a round trip from Colfax through Pullman to Moscow each Tuesday and Thursday. Occasionally, there is a Saturday run as well. At a maximum, there are six train trips through Pullman each week

http://www.pullman-w...aspx?PageID=243

They don't make the Colfax-Pullman-Moscow run any more, as a trestle east of Colfax burned down in August 2006. There is currently a debate as to whether that trestle will ever be rebuilt. Pullman needs to update their site!

I'd love to see rail service too, but think it's just a pipe dream. Would be nice to see, though.

Edited by JayPea, 19 May 2009 - 05:04 PM.

#10 JayPea

JayPea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:07 PM

I know the company, I think. Northwestern Trailways, which operates also as Northwestern Stage Lines and Boise-Winnemucca Stages. They also have a regularly scheduled run from Spokane that stops at Ephreta, Wenatchee and Leavenworth(stops the Empire Builder makes, or will make). This same company also made an infamous wrong turn in Seattle last year during the snowstorm.

Northwest Trailways has two northbound and two southbound buses daily through Pullman. They also have a stop at the Ace Hardware, directly across the street from me, in Colfax. I've never used the bus, which shows I wouldn't walk across the street to ride a bus!!! :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users