Photo

Starting & ending points, where to sit, etc.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

Traditionally our Fests have a pre-arranged meeting place each day where we stand and wait as people get there, and then we walk together to the first train of the day. On Saturday, that may not be the case, although those originating in New York can still do so. Usually when taking Amtrak or NJT out of New York Penn Station, the group meets somewhere under the electronic destination board. (With LIRR or subways, it's by the LIRR waiting room but that doesn't apply this time around.) The Saturday trip will be aboard Amtrak #160, which several people including myself will board in New Jersey or Philadelphia. So we will already be aboard when the train pulls into New York Penn Station. It would probably be easiest if all agree to sit in the front-most open coach class car. Through the magic of text messaging we can convey this to people up the line from where we each board. I don't know if anyone is going in Business Class, but obviously meeting and riding together won't work if you've already reserved in BC. There is a quick turnaround at Springfield on Saturday -- 35 minutes assuming we arrive on time on #460. Hopefully we remain close to schedule. However if we are in danger of being very late, say more than 20-25 minutes, I think the smart thing to do given the cold weather would be to bail at Hartford and catch #463 there. Windsor Locks just doesn't sound as appealing given its spartan facilities (I think just a bus stop shelter if that). It is important to me that we not leave people behind. It has happened before, but it's something we don't want to repeat. I beg you to please stick together (in relatively close seats) aboard the trains. That way, should we decide to bail earilier, everyone knows. If somebody is sitting in another car, or elsewhere in the same car but not paying attention, you could be separated from the group. Aisle seats work just as well as window seats, and nobody has ever reported being bitten by another Fest participant! :) Lunch will be late, following our arrival on #463 back in New Haven Union Station. Then 2 hours later we return to New York on #135. I doubt we will all be able to sit in the same general area given it may be packed with people already on from other New England points east of New Haven. Dinner for Saturday is still being discussed. Given logistical and financial considerations, it appears most likely we will end up eating at one of the diners within walking distance from Penn Station. I don't expect everyone to want to have dinner, as some have earlier trains to catch home. From there, the day is over and we return either home or to hotels. Sunday is a different scenario. As we usually do at Grand Central, we will meet there in the vicinity of the center information booth in the main hall. We will stand near it, but far enough away for the information booth to continue doing its function. Plan on getting to GCT early enough to purchase tickets, if you have not already done so. Some won't be there at GCT to start the trip, but they will join us on board in Stamford having arrived there on an earlier Amtrak train from points west or south. We will try to sit towards the front of the Metro North train, so that those boarding later can find us. Lunch break of a little more than 2 hours in Stamford (between the Danbury and New Canaan runs) will be at the Stamford Town Center, which is approximately a 4 block walk from the station. It's also a 4 block walk back. Since we were there last in 2003, the mall has much better access from the street than it used to, as one department store was demolished to make way for a bunch of more upscale restaurants and a new entry way to the mall itself. The food court on the upper floor was completely rebuilt as well. When we come back to Stamford after the New Canaan trip, our objectives for the day will have been accomplished. Some will take the next Metro North train back to Grand Central, while others (myself included) will wait just a few more minutes and board Amtrak #163 to points in New Jersey or Philadelphia. Those going to GCT will presumably split up once they arrive, and those taking Amtrak will detrain at their respective destinations. And that wraps up plans for Saturday and Sunday. Steve W. has posted in another thread about some train riding taking place on Friday. I don't know if anyone was planning anything for the Monday holiday as happened last year.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

On Monday mike and I are tentatively planning to ride lirr from Atlanta flatbush station to far rockaway. We would then walk over to catch the A which we would ride to the end of the line in Harlem. At that point we would make lunch plans and then mike would go to ewr. My flight leaves 2 hours later from lga.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

On Monday mike and I are tentatively planning to ride lirr from Atlanta flatbush station to far rockaway.

Didn't know Atlanta had a flatbush station, or that the LIRR went there, but glad you were able to get tickets on short notice! :D

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

On Monday mike and I are tentatively planning to ride lirr from Atlanta flatbush station to far rockaway.

Didn't know Atlanta had a flatbush station, or that the LIRR went there, but glad you were able to get tickets on short notice! :D

I meant atlantic. Lol. But since. You are so funny you can go jump in the Atlanta ocean. Lol.

You will have fun finding that one on the map

#5 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:11 AM

On Monday mike and I are tentatively planning to ride lirr from Atlanta flatbush station to far rockaway. We would then walk over to catch the A which we would ride to the end of the line in Harlem. At that point we would make lunch plans and then mike would go to ewr. My flight leaves 2 hours later from lga.

I would be interesting in joining you guys on that run if you decide upon it.

#6 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:34 AM

Great. Will talk. Where are u coming from?

#7 NJCoastExp

NJCoastExp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:12 AM

Traditionally our Fests have a pre-arranged meeting place each day where we stand and wait as people get there, and then we walk together to the first train of the day.

The Saturday trip will be aboard Amtrak #160, which several people including myself will board in New Jersey or Philadelphia. So we will already be aboard when the train pulls into New York Penn Station. It would probably be easiest if all agree to sit in the front-most open coach class car.

Actually to accomodate most efficient (SEATS TOGETHER on the Shuttle) you should be in the first coach behind cafe.

Lunch will be late, following our arrival on #463 back in New Haven Union Station. Then 2 hours later we return to New York on #135. I doubt we will all be able to sit in the same general area given it may be packed with people already on from other New England points east of New Haven.

Try to board in the back of the train by positioning yourself about 1 car length east of station staircase. That will almost guarantee open seats in NHV.

This is train 3267, 5:43 Long Branch express with connection to Bay Head. South Amboy is next. First and last cars are Quiet Cars. All tickets please.

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

OK Piotr, you're the most familiar with trips between NJ and NHV, so please lead the way. You presumably will be among the first to board #160 in NJ. Those coming from Philly should hook up with you once you board at MET, and then you can let me know where to stand in NWK... Then we'll do the same for NYP people. Likewise for the returning trip from NHV. Since we will be coming off our lunch layover we have plenty of time to correctly position ourselves (or even wait down in the tunnel if it's too cold). And there is no connecting Shuttle train for #135, so we don't have that to contend with.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

There is a quick turnaround at Springfield on Saturday -- 35 minutes assuming we arrive on time on #460. Hopefully we remain close to schedule. However if we are in danger of being very late, say more than 20-25 minutes, I think the smart thing to do given the cold weather would be to bail at Hartford and catch #463 there. Windsor Locks just doesn't sound as appealing given its spartan facilities (I think just a bus stop shelter if that).

I just realized I have my own pictures to show that Windsor Locks is indeed a bus stop shelter (as of about four years ago).

http://www.flickr.co...57625693087873/

#10 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

So on Saturday on 160 it is first coach behind cafe then. Piotr we will meet up at MET. As it turns out on 135 I am in the first car, so I will meet up with you all at NYP after the trip. On Sunday on 150 I will probably try to get on in the last car, just to get access to the railfan window.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users