• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 howardj

howardj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:08 AM

There isn't much activity here and I'm still not sure that anyone is really interested in the statistics of these annual trips. I'm thinking, as I did last year, that I may not bother doing again. But for now.....

This was our 6th or 7th year taking the auto train. We find that it's the best alternative to driving on I-95 an additional 950 miles. This was a fairly typical trip although our arrival was later than we've come to experience. 

So, we pulled out of the Lorton Station at 3:50 PM and stopped for a brief moment to hook up the car carriers and we were off. Our room attendant on this crew #3 " Joni" was perhaps the best, most efficient attendant we've ever had.  The train was composed of 39 railcars, 18 passenger cars and 21 car carriers. There were a total of 382 passengers, 227 in coach and 155 in sleepers. There were a total of 232 cars of which 29 were designated for priority unloading. 

The meal choices were typical, a short rib dish, a chicken dish, a fish entree and a lasagna. We had the lasagna and it wasn't bad at all. Our table mates had the short ribs and the fish and said both were good as evidenced by them finishing both dishes. This was perhaps the fewest number of sleeper car passengers we've had on a trip and it was noticeable in the crew not being as nervous or harried during the meal service. This was also the first time that we opted for the first service at 5PM. We actually found that this worked out better for us than eating at 7PM as we usually had.

In the morning we were the first to arrive for continental breakfast at 6:05 AM. Not another soul came in until after 6:30 AM which was very unusual and again spoke too the smaller that usual passenger load.

There is now wifi on the auto train. It worked OK. Not perfect but OK. When we went to bed at around 11PM the online info showed that the train would arrive before 8AM. When we got up in the AM it was showing arrival 30 minutes late at 9:30.

We actually arrived in the station at 9:45 AM and we were allowed to de-train at 9:55 AM. We have been taking advantage of the priority unloading option since it was first offered. Ours was the very first car off the train at 10:30 AM. It took some extra time for the car carriers to be moved to the unloading area because there were local trains on the track. 

So, overall another good trip with no issues to complain about.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

HJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:21 AM

Howard,

As always we appreciate reading your reports about Auto Train trips, so please if you wish keep on reporting!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

Likewise. I always enjoy hearing travel experiences.

#4 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:55 PM

Ditto for me.  Thank you for sharing your experience.

#5 RichieC

RichieC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:40 PM

I'm surprised at the lack of activity too.

I'm sorta a hybrid "Snowbird" as I spend 2 weeks per month in Orlando year'round, go back & forth...so am on the AT twice a month! It is so darn convenient (30 minutes from Bethesda), no TSA lines, shuttles, parking, etc. And the best part = take everything that will fit in the car. I tell people - you fly and you'll take what's in your pocket and half of THAT is confiscated! LOL LOL Always fun to meet regular users. Anyone remember the "AT Banana Famine"? LOL The steaks cooked to order? The wine tasting/hors d'oeuvres? Fruit bowls/cookie trays? Real plates and coffee cups? Expecting sporks next month.

When my niece comes along (maybe every other month) we get two adjoining bedrooms so we can slide the wall open and really spread out. Last month (alone) did a little cocktail party with the people next door. GOOD THING as during the nite, the wall SLID OPEN (wasn't locked shut). Since it's a mirror on both sides, we didn't even notice til the morning! LOL Luckily, since I throw cocktail parties with people I meet...we now knew each other and no one freaked out as I quietly slide it back closed. Now I check that wall!

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

Richie, thanks for your report as well.   If you have been travelling Auto Train with regularity (or even just once), I encourage you to report your mileage in the Amtrak mileage thread.   We keep a tally of our member travels, adding up to a cumulative group total at the end of the year. Perhaps the miles you put in could put this year over the top to possibly beat our previous year's totals.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 howardj

howardj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

I want to ask a question for which I'm sure there's no answer.

I do agree with Richie that despite the elimination of so many perks the convenience of there auto train makes it a great option to the other means of travel.

I'm preparing to book next years trip south. As I do each year prior to booking I've been watching the pricing for the southbound trip and I don't understand why it is more than $600 additional than last year for the identical accommodations . 

I understand the bucket system but the bucket should be full right now.

This dramatic increase has me re-thinking taking the train at all.

Any thoughts ?

Howard

#8 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:22 PM

Amtrak revenue management has taken to opening popular trains in higher fare buckets. Then, if sales lag, they move the fare into lower buckets to match demand. The old rule of thumb that the fare always starts low and can only go up is no longer true.

That poses the problem of when to book.  You can book early, pay high price, and hope the fare comes down, or you can wait and watch and hope the fare comes down and then book.  I'm not sure I have a good answer for that one. 

#9 howardj

howardj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

Bill,

Thank you for the information. I need to book after 3AM eastern time this morning ( Wednesday Morning) because my wife favors a particular car number ( because of its historical location) and because we always use priority unloading ( since it was conceived). So I'll pay the higher price and hope that it comes down. I can always cancel the whole thing for the $100 penalty and drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users