• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#21 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 03:11 PM

I missed this topic until now, so I'm late to the party.

I MAY be starting a new job in January, so I may not even be able to go, but assuming I can go, here's my thoughts. If it were Boston, I like the idea of taking 448 to SPG on Sunday to meet the commuter line to New Haven and beyond. If we're talking about going 3 days, is it possible to do the Brunswick turn on Monday or Friday? But I see from reading that we've probably moved south. I'm willing to wait until 2020 for Boston.

I don't see much appeal to the Roanoke turn as a group. Just seems boring and the fact it would be dark for the ride down. When I'm with the group I really enjoy doing multiple rail rides and checking out different types of transit.

I definitely like the Florida idea. I'd probably just fly down there and skip the long distance rides, but I've been wanting to ride Brightline and some of the other rail options that Miami has to offer. It's been years since I've been.

As for NC, that'd be my second choice. RGH is a nice station and worth checking out. I drove by it a few weeks ago and stopped but I didn't get to the board the train as they don't let you on the platform unless you have a ticket. I'd probably ride the Crescent up or down too from NOL. 

So my choices in order are:

#1: Florida

#2: North Carolina

#3 Roanoke

#22 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 28 October 2018 - 05:28 PM

I sent out an e-mail which the above responders also received, in order to get feedback from people who don't visit this board as often. If you already responded, you need not do so again.

So far it does appear that Roanoke is the least favorite of the three, so unless things change we're down to deciding between the other two.

I hope to use next weekend (11/3, 11/4) to put together an official announcement so that people can start making travel plans.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#23 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:00 PM

I put information in a couple of different posts so I am going to repost everything here to make Tallying easier.

First choice is Charlotte departing New York area on Saturday Morning.  I could fly to NYC area Friday night and join the group for the ride to Charlotte.   If the group left Friday, I would just fly to Charlotte and join for Saturday activities.  

Second choice is Florida.  I would probably meet the group in Florida.  I am very interested in Bright-line.  

#24 shanghai

shanghai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:01 PM

My choice would be Miami.  I would be happy with Charlotte, but prefer Miami.

There is Brightline and Tri-Rail and local Miami routes.

Dick.

We need to decide soon as it may be difficult to get seats in January.

#25 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:24 PM

This may be irrelevant.... but it appears that train 98 is "sold out" on 1/10/19 and 1/17/19 and train 97 is "sold out" on 1/13/19 and 1/20/19.  My guess is the Safety Patrol Train is the reason, but I am not sure.  

#26 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:39 PM

Although I prefer North Carolina, I likely would go to Miami even though I just did the trip last weekend.  Because the Amtrak trip is so short for me, I would consider going north and come back south on 97.  However due to sold out trains, I may not be able to accomplish that.

Winter is peak season in Miami and hotel prices are a bit more than they are in the northeast, but not outrageous.  I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Miami last weekend and the rates there were a bit less than most of the Miami airport hotels MLK weekend.

#27 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:08 PM

This may be irrelevant.... but it appears that train 98 is "sold out" on 1/10/19 and 1/17/19 and train 97 is "sold out" on 1/13/19 and 1/20/19.  My guess is the Safety Patrol Train is the reason, but I am not sure.

Unavailability of the Silver Meteor is very relevant, for a couple of reasons.  If we choose Florida, it would cause issues for everyone getting to & from Miami, especially considering the lack of dining service on the Silver Star.  If we chose elsewhere, those who live in Florida would be affected in going north and coming home south.

Although I prefer North Carolina, I likely would go to Miami even though I just did the trip last weekend. Because the Amtrak trip is so short for me, I would consider going north and come back south on 97. However due to sold out trains, I may not be able to accomplish that.

Winter is peak season in Miami and hotel prices are a bit more than they are in the northeast, but not outrageous. I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Miami last weekend and the rates there were a bit less than most of the Miami airport hotels MLK weekend.

Hotels and it being a busy time of year are important considerations.  I'll check hotel rates in both considered locations.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#28 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:31 PM

After more discussion about this on our Sunday evening Chat session, the picture has become even more cloudy.  Hotels in southern Florida on a winter holiday weekend are at a premium.  And with some trips blocked out as Penny mentioned, fares on the still-available dates are in high buckets.  

As for Charlotte, there is also a hotel issue.  Looking at the several Hilton family properties, most are either sold out on Friday & Saturday evenings of that weekend, or in the case of the Hilton, a room is still available for the high $500's for one night (the same room on Sunday night is a little more than $100). So something is going on in that city over that weekend.

Roanoke isn't appealing to many of us for various good reasons.

I suggested maybe a trip on the Empire Corridor (maybe to Rochester and/or Schenectady to check out the new stations).   I also received a suggestion that we look again at the Hartford Line. Although it would be difficult to schedule a trip in either direction on the commuter trains, there are more Amtrak trips than there used to be. Perhaps it could be worked into a circle trip involving the Lake Shore Limited in Springfield. In the spirit of checking out new stations, although I've seen it already, Springfield is worth a visit!!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#29 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:01 AM

One other thought is to move to the prior weekend, Jan 12 & 13.  Charlotte rooms are more reasonable that weekend with rates at the full-service downtown Marriott at $153 vs $290 for Saturday of the holiday weekend. Hilton Charlotte is $157, HGI is $126.  The trade off is the loss of the holiday.

The Charlotte event is a cheerleading competition - the 2019 Spirit of Hope National Championship at the Charlotte Convention Center.  Sometimes an outsider can piggyback onto event hotel rates, but this one requires registration for the event.  Bummer.

#30 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:18 AM

Yet another thought is to flip the North Carolina itinerary and go to Raleigh first, stay Saturday night there, then out to Charlotte for Sunday night and back on Monday.  The cheerleaders are done Sunday and uptown hotel rates are more reasonable Sunday night (1/20).  $184 at the Marriott.  $129 at the HGI flexible.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users