• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

Since more and more of us are traveling these days with smart phones and/or laptops, this opens up new possibilities for keeping information at our fingertips. I started last year creating PDF's of important things, like radio frequencies and such, and putting them on my Iphone instead of carrying around a ton of paper like I used to. In this topic over the next 2 weeks or so I'll gradually add various PDF's of maps, frequencies, Amtrak schedules, and eventually the final expected itinerary. Not that I'm wishing any last minute changes on Kevin, but as many of the regular attendees know, it's not at all uncommon for transit agencies to throw a last minute curve ball at Kevin forcing him to scramble to deal with it. So I'll wait until just a few days before, probably around the 14th or 15th to create a PDF of the itinerary. In the meantime, every couple of days I'll add some new PDF's to this topic for those who are interested to download them and store them on their smart phones and/or laptops. I'll start with the Amtrak Frequencies for the major routes that people will be covering. If anyone doesn't see a train that they need, just let me know and I'll create that file and upload it here for you.

Attached Files

Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#2 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

And here consolidated into one place are the various Amtrak timetables for the various routes that people attending will be riding. Each person can simply pick the ones that they'll need depending on which trains they're riding

Attached Files

Alan,

#3 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:11 AM

Thanks. Reading this from tallin!!

#4 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

Here are some system maps for the various transit systems. For New Orleans the RTASystemMap includes not only the streetcars, but also all bus routes. The MATASystemMap also include streetcars & buses for Memphis. Finally, for Atlanta we have MARTA-Railmap which is just the subway/heavy rail system. There is a second map that includes all buses too however that is a is very large file. If any one wants it please let me know and I'll get it to you.

Attached Files

Alan,

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:26 AM

Alan, this .pdf is much better for Memphis (unless anyone plans to use the buses) since it features the 3 trolley routes.

For New Orleans, the second page of the schedule folder has a much clearer map that features the streetcar routes.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:35 AM

For those who didn't already grab them, here are the two maps noted by Kevin. Additionally I'm adding one more map that should not only be of interest for this particular fest, but useful for and fest and/or Amtrak trip. That is a map showing the various crew change points for Amtrak's LD trains.

Attached Files

Alan,

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

.html format of the METRA UP-West Line: http://metrarail.com...edule.full.html

.png METRA system map from Wikipedia site, in an easy to read schematic form (it's better than the one on METRA's site which is superimposed on a national roadmap): http://upload.wikime...etra-System.png

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

When I use an Amtrak long distance train, I make my own version of the schedule. It is customized for the direction of travel, and shows all scheduled arrival and departure times, plus has the miles and elapsed times from the origin station and to the destination station. For SERF, I have done that for the City of New Orleans. For #58 an advantage is that the schedule does not have to be "read up" for the northbound trip. A copy is attached if anyone is interested.

Attached Files

#9 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:06 PM

And finally, with hopefully no last minute changes, the tentative guest list and the itinerary's. I will do the contact list, once Kevin is comfortable that he's made all the final changes that he can make, but that will be sent by email to protect the list.

Attached Files

Alan,

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

By early tomorrow afternoon, once I've enjoyed my last day of sleeping late for a while, I'll e-mail the final version of the contact list (there were a couple of changes). The Amtrak train charts, as indicated in the SERF Amtrak trains thread, were uploaded once more around midnight (half hour before this posting). A 2-hour router outage prevented me from doing this sooner.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users