#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Use this thread to post reports on your travels to your starting point of the Fest, whether you are meeting the group in Albuquerque or Chicago. This includes the various westbound trips from the East Coast.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:53 AM

Even though I live in Chicago the fest starts today. Up early to go to the original pancake house in Lincoln park. After that, I pack. Put new batteries in the scanner, etc. Then I start tracking trains on status maps to see when the guys get to Chicago.

#3 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

Just finished my pancakes. Perused the spreadsheets for room assignments. My plan is to meet all of you at cus. I'll be tracking 29 and 49.

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

Scanner-Check Ipod and bose headphones-check camera-check umbrella-check 4 pair underwear-check-no gnarly stuff from room 14 in the 330 car going nor from room 11 in the 431 car on the return. 4 pairs of pants-check 4 pairs of shirts-check charger for Iphone-check Kindle-check Tickets will be printed at the station today or tomorrow depending on my plans today. All aboard!! Highball Chicago Amtrak 3

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

My first phases are done, driving to Cherry Hill and the NJT ride into Philly. After the worst chicken teriyaki I've ever had (thanks All American Buffet), I'm now in the PHL Club Acela ready to use the first of 10 Amtrak tickets in my bag.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 NJCoastExp

NJCoastExp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

Sitting in Club Acela in Washington DC after slightly late trip (15 min max) with a self-upgrade to leather BC seat on 141. ;) . Went to grab late breakfast in a cafe just after TRE and after 4 car walk (i was 3 rows back from end of the train) I walked into BC/cafe combo. Waited, eating the burger at the table until PHL and grabbed vacated window seat. Few minutes later I was asked by conductor to move to aisle seat in row behind. I agreed since that move allowed a parent with 2 kids to sit in the same row. My seatmate left at BAL so I moved over to her seat and relaxed more until arrival in DC.

This is train 3267, 5:43 Long Branch express with connection to Bay Head. South Amboy is next. First and last cars are Quiet Cars. All tickets please.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Now at Club Acela, with Jishnu, Alan, & Grace. My trip on #174 was on time but crowded, even in my coveted Quiet Car. Club Acela didn't send me down until most seats were already taken, so I had to do aisle seat & no electric outlet for 91 miles. :(

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

4 of us now aboard #49 in NYP. Last you'll hear from me on the board until CHI since I'm bumming Wifi off an adjacent Regional consist. We have the 8400 prototype Viewliner diner on this train. All is good so far. Heard from Rick, who is aboard #449; he'll join us in Albany. And Piotr should be boarding #29 about now in Washington.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

I went to be about 10. Woke up at 1:45 am. Forget sleep. Read and checked train status and officially got up at 5 am. Plan is to pick up Roz and eat breakfast at the drake, our favorite breakfast restaurant. Then return the car to my house and take the el to Quincy/wells. From there Roz goes to class. I go to union station to meet the guys. If all goes well ill be arriving about the time 29 pulls in.

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

4 boarded the Lake Shore in New York, and one joined us in Albany from the Boston section. We took delays particularly at Schenectady, but also long dwells at other stations. Ultimately we arrived Chicago exactly one hour late.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users