• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:58 AM

Brooklyn bridge Marriott is ideally situated. From two nearby subway stations you can access several lines such as 2,3,4,5 as well as A,C,F, and N among others. Thus nyp, grand,central, and Herald Square are 1 seat rides. This morning we rode a 4 to gct. I successfully deciphered the service notes and determined that we would run lOcal to 14th street and the express to gct. Fun!

#12 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

Njt ran late this morning so I missed the ride to danbury but now with the group sitting in new canaan on our layover and last offical ride of the fest

#13 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

A group of us are now on amtrak 163 heading to points in NY/NJ/PA

Edited by Long Train Runnin', 16 January 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

I'm home after a successful Day 2. Our trips to Danbury and New Canaan went well, and on time. It was cold, but we have endured a lot worse in the past. Everyone there today knows I was going crazy trying to figure out who was coming and going at various times. Some of the people involved today (and yesterday too) never saw one another because they participated at different times. We began with half a dozen people who started on Metro North from Grand Central Terminal. One more joined us at Harlem-125th Street, and two more who had come from New Jersey on Regional 150 joined us in Stamford. We went as far as South Norwalk, where we had to change trains. In South Norwalk a tenth person joined the group, having come in from New Haven. Our train on the Danbury Branch left about 5 minutes late, but got into Danbury only about a minute down. In Danbury a few ventured from the station to get coffee, but most of us remained near the small but closed station building. The trip back from Danbury to South Norwalk was perfectly on schedule. However, the New Haven mainline train we took from there to Stamford was about 5 minutes late. Once we got to Stamford, things got interesting. One person left us to go south on Regional #161. But he was replaced by another person who had missed our original train from GCT. So we still had ten people. Of the ten, two remained at the Stamford station to eat at the new Subway restaurant, and the other eight ventured over to the Stamford Town Center for lunch. Reunited at the station after lunch, we gained an 11th person who came up on Regional 164. It was there 11 who made the quick round trip to New Canaan and back, on time in both directions. When we got back to Stamford once more, we split for the day. One person took Metro North back to New Haven where he started from, three went across the platform to take the Metro North express to Grand Central, two waited and took the MN local to GCT in order to ensure they got seats, and the other 5 went on Amtrak Regional 163 to points in New Jersey and Philadelphia. The group on 163 endured another Amtrak delay, as the train was 26 minutes late. At least it was running! :) So it was a quite interesting weekend. It was the first in memory where we had such a snow covered ground, but it was not the coldest time we've had. Everyone had a good time, which is all that matters. And Amtrak as you can see had plenty of activity with our participants taking not only the official Fest trains but many others as they travelled to and from the Fest to meet or leave us. Everyone seems to be looking forward to our July trip to the Southeast; in our obligatory discussions about the next Fest we found that many have already booked all or part of their travel and hotels! BTW whichever one of you ordered the Amfleet II equipment for me on #159 tonight, thank you, it was a nice gesture. I had a footrest, legroom and curtains for my 15 minute trip! Thanks to everybody who came out and endured the weather and delays, especially to those who travelled longer distances to be there.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

Entire itinerary, including Sunday, is now updated with the real times we arrived and departed. Unlike Saturday, there were no unexpected trains ridden like the Vermonter!

Entire homepage now in past tense.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#16 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

Well I'm back in Detroit ready for work tomorrow! I had a good time with the group. I found a great deal right in Midtown on a hotel, more like a European efficiency or hostel almost. I recommend it, if you're on a budget. I flew to Boston from Detroit on Friday morning. I wanted to use the last of my upgrade coupons on the Acela, so I did just that and arrived into NYP about 4 PM. I caught a movie in Time Square and then ended up at Penn Station again where I randomly ran into AlanB! I was going to use an unused LIRR ticket to Kew Gardens to get a pizza, while he boarded the same train to Woodside. We didn't realize we were going to board the same train until after I had arrived in Kew Gardens. I had my Dani's Pizza, which sits right on top of the Kew Gardens station. Then I walked back to the Union Turnpike Subway station and boarded an E train back to my hotel. I joined the rest of the group in Penn Station the next day and did all the rides except for the last turn from Stamford to New Canaan. I found a good fare for #161 to Newark Airport as I wanted to make sure I got a flight out. My first plan was to take a CO flight to Chicago, but I was surprised when I got to Terminal C, the TSA had closed down the checkpoints due to a security breach. After standing in line for about 30 minutes, I decided I would just take a Delta flight directly back to Detroit. Terminal B didn't have the security problem, so I got right on through and boarded the plane pretty much right when I got to the gate. All in all, a great fest! Can't wait until the Southeast Fest!

#17 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

My first plan was to take a CO flight to Chicago, but I was surprised when I got to Terminal C, the TSA had closed down the checkpoints due to a security breach.

Did someone again walk in through an exit passageway while the three TSA agents posted there were busy picking their noses again? Seems to happen in EWR every so often.

#18 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:43 PM

NYAARRF 2011 is now forever a part of our decade-old history. Hard to believe we've been doing this on a regular schedule for ten years now!

No changes required to the Scorecard pages since the commuter rail rides were repeats.

I believe that wraps up the post-Fest online housekeeping chores. :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#19 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

My first plan was to take a CO flight to Chicago, but I was surprised when I got to Terminal C, the TSA had closed down the checkpoints due to a security breach.

Did someone again walk in through an exit passageway while the three TSA agents posted there were busy picking their noses again? Seems to happen in EWR every so often.

I never stayed to get the whole story, but I think that was what the rumor was. I never got to see the President's Club. :( However there is a PC in Terminal A. :)

#20 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:14 AM

We were joined in New Haven by a tenth person. But our on-time performance was anything but a "10". Shuttle Train #460, which originates there, was very late getting out of the yard. When it arrived it looked like they had just dug it out of a snowdrift. Only one door worked, aside from the door of the cab control area. We left NHV about a half hour late.

The delay in the yard apparently was in refueling the engine. Not sure just what went wrong or why it took so long, unless of course maybe the equipment was late getting into NHV.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users