#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:01 PM

On Thursday, August 19th, I will be going up to Boston and returning the same day. The trip is intended to bolster my Guest Rewards mileage for the year in order to reach that ever-important goal of 5000 rail points for the calendar year so I can enjoy Select status once more.

I plan to take the overnight Regional train (#66), which should get into Boston about 8:15 AM.

While in town, I'll have time to of course ride the Green Line into the new North Station superstation, and take in two commuter rail lines. I've done 'em all of course, but which ones we hit as a group depends on the concensus of those involved as well as time contraints. I need to catch the 4:15 PM Acela Express to get home at a reasonable time since I have an appointment near home on Friday morning.

Unless anyone has a better plan, I've devised an itinerary that involves the Fitchburg Line followed by the Lowell Line, both of which leave from North Station. If #66 is a little late into Boston, we can substitute a ride on the Worcester Line out to Worcester and back, since the latter leaves from South Station rather than North Station.

As always, anyone is welcome to join us. Please let me know if you're coming. You can e-mail me this information along with your cell phone number so we can coordinate meeting in the area in the event plans have to be changed at the last minute, as happened for the last Boston Mini-Fest this past November.

Click here for the tentative itinerary.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:28 AM

As much as it pains me, the Orange Line might be the best option for you to get to North Staton if you are running 15 minutes late or less. It gives you the best amount of padding to get to North Station without having to head through the maze of passengers and temperary walls at South station nor the constant Government Center trains at Park Street. Any later than 15 minutes might be pushing it, possibly forcing the $1 or $2 service charge for paying onboard the train. If you do not make the 8:55 train there is a train at 9:45 heading out to Fitchburg, but it might mean that you will have to cut out the trip to Lowell or eating an early brunch at North or South Station. If you do take the Worcester train, to kill time before the train departs at noon might I suggest a trip out to Wonderland on the Blue Line for a chance for you to see the newest MBTA station (Airport Station) and a last chane to ride on the Blue Line cars, which are going to be retired in less than a year(barring any delays in testing in the winter and spring).

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:22 PM

Any later than 15 minutes might be pushing it, possibly forcing the $1 or $2 service charge for paying onboard the train.

That is, unless somebody pre-purchases the ticket for me... :)

If you do take the Worcester train, to kill time before the train departs at noon

I was actually thinking the 9 AM departure from South Station. Assuming #66 is less than 40 minutes late, we would be able to make this 9 AM South Station departure while it would be too late to catch an 8:55 departure from North Station.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 Jack615

Jack615

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:11 PM

I am in for this one Kevin, and yeah I would agree with Ed, you should check out the new Airport station it is really nice. Seems like to be safe I should meet you guys at South Station that way we can go from there and decide from there, but if you guys bail out at Back Bay i guess then meet you guys at North Station. Maybe Kevin you can call me at like 6am to see if that train is on time then I'll know where to go. But no matter if its Lowell,Fitchburg or Worcester I cant wait to meet up with you guys. Let me know what you think Jack

Jack Suslak

Bluffton SC

Boston Celtics
NBA Champs 2008

Boston Bruins 

NHL Champs 2011

Boston Red Sox
World Series Champs 2004, 2007, 2013, 2018

New England Patriots

Super Bowl Champs 2002, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:41 PM

If I recall correctly Jack and Ed, one or both of you has never been out to Lowell or Worcester. I know Ed went to Lowell because we met him in that city about a year ago. It's where my avatar photo on your left was shot on the yellow trolley. Incidentally, I won't have Michael with me on this trip as he'll be elsewhere in the country travelling with his grandparents. I don't know whether it can be done given the limited time constraints, but perhaps we can work out a way to head out the Blue Line to the Airport and back. I do have to get to South Station by 3:15 (one hour before departure) so that I can upgrade my ticket from Business Class to First Class. Finally, I believe that Alan will already be in town, as he would come up the evening before and be sleeping in a hotel while I am tossing and turning aboard Amtrak #66.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 Jack615

Jack615

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:38 AM

Well I have been to Lowell just not by train, I have gone as far as Wilmington on that line on the Downeaster, also havent ridden the trolleys in Lowell though i doubt we will have time for those this time. I have been to Worcester before by train but that was Amtrak to Hartford, so it would be cool to do that by commuter rail. So basically either option is fine for me. Jack

Jack Suslak

Bluffton SC

Boston Celtics
NBA Champs 2008

Boston Bruins 

NHL Champs 2011

Boston Red Sox

New England Patriots

#7 Jack615

Jack615

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:01 PM

Well we had a good time on our mini fest today. We all got to ride some stuff that we havent ridden before, Ed and I rode new CR segments and Kevin and Alan got to ride the green line to the new North Station and see the new Airport station on the Blue Line. Ed and I got to South Station first and soon later Kevin and Alan came. We waited at South Station for the 9am trip to Worcester it was a nice ride, and soon we got to Worcester then we got right back onto the inbound train (same equipment both ways). We wanted to see the new Airport station on the Blue Line so we got off at Back Bay then transfered over to the Orange Line then got onto the Blue Line at State to go to the new station. We got off and we got to look at the newest station in the system and our visitors to the south liked it. We didnt spend much time there because we had a 110 train to Lowell and had to get lunch and tickets. So we got on the Green Line at Government Ctr and after waiting a few minutes a North Station car came and we rode to the new superstation which Alan and Kevin saw for the first time on a Green Line car. Ed left for points unknown, leaving us 3 that had half hour for lunch and getting the lowell tickets. The mission was successful and all 3 of us made the train. I enjoyed this one because the stretch north of Wilmington was new for me. We soon later got to Lowell and briefly detrained to soon later reboard to go back to Boston. We got back to North Station about 2:50 and Kevin and Alan left for the subway to get to South for their later Acelas home. I meanwhile waited at North Station and took the 315 train to swampscott and went home. I had a good time today, and thanks to Kevin,Alan,and Ed for joining me. Jack

Jack Suslak

Bluffton SC

Boston Celtics
NBA Champs 2008

Boston Bruins 

NHL Champs 2011

Boston Red Sox

New England Patriots

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:29 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself! :D

My "firsts" today were:
  • Coming into Boston South Station on Train #66 on Track Thirteen, which is over next to the city's main Post Office and a hike from South Station itself.
  • Green Line into North Station Superstation and Blue Line's new Airport station as mentioned above.
  • Riding Acela Express in First Class at dinnertime. Enjoyed that a lot!! The beef tenderloin was delicious. :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 Amfleet

Amfleet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 11:47 AM

I apologize for not making the mini-fest, but work obligations kept me from leaving the Cape. I did however, enjoy my time spent the day before riding the Acela Express round trip between BOS and NYP. I met Alan at Penn Staion and we took a short trip on the NYC subway to South Ferry from 34th Street/Penn Station. Alan and I then rode up to BOS on Acela Express #2168 in First Class, which was a reall fun expereince for me. Interestingly enough, #2168 also arrived on one of the higher level tracks at South Station, track #11 to be exact, which was a first for me too.

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 04:21 PM

Interestingly enough, #2168 also arrived on one of the higher level tracks at South Station, track #11 to be exact, which was a first for me too.

Acela Express and the Regionals usually use Tracks 8-9-10 at South Station. My Regional #66 was one exception (Track 13, usually for MBTA Old Colony and Dorchester Branch trains), but then during the heart of the morning rush hour, and being some 10-15 minutes late, all bets are off.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users