#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:48 PM

And another summer Rail Fest goes down in the history books. Small as it was compared to others past and future, I think everyone did have a wonderful time. We took a round trip on Amtrak between various Northeast points and Florida, rode one Silver Service train within Florida, and did the entire TECO Line streetcar system in Tampa, as well as MetroRail, MetroMover and TriRail in Southern Florida. My defining moment was probably pulling off at almost the last minute the wonderful TECO tour we received Monday morning. We had 14 people involved, although never that many at one time. We had 12 on Sunday for the unguided full TECO ride and dinner at Spaghetti Warehouse. Also we had 12 on our only full day in the Miami area as well, including our lunch at Steak & Ale. At this time we still have people on trains on their way back to New England or Chicago, but everyone else should by now be home. Thanks to everyone for coming out and enjoying the travels and of course our talk about trains!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

Using the rule of 3 the fest finally completed around 2:30pm when the Boston group boarded their train from NYP leaving Steve at NYP awaiting his train to Chicago. I left those 3 at the NYP Club Acela around 1:45pm when I headed out to catch my 2:07 NJT to Trenton for a short trip to Metropark and my car. Before that the four of us had lunch together just outside Penn Station. Thanks to Kevin for organizing this fest. We all had a great time!

#3 Jack615

Jack615

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

I am also now home from the trip. Surprisingly my train got into Boston 20 minutes late with some signal issues and being stuck behind commuter rail trains in the Boston area. But I had a blast on the fest with you all, it is so cool to travel together on amtrak in a group like that and with most of us in sleepers too, cant wait til next time to do this with you all again. Also want to thank Kevin for everything and helping to organize the fest and making things run so smooth.

Jack Suslak

Bluffton SC

Boston Celtics
NBA Champs 2008

Boston Bruins 

NHL Champs 2011

Boston Red Sox
World Series Champs 2004, 2007, 2013, 2018

New England Patriots

Super Bowl Champs 2002, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:44 PM

I am also now home from the trip. Surprisingly my train got into Boston 20 minutes late with some signal issues and being stuck behind commuter rail trains in the Boston area. But I had a blast on the fest with you all, it is so cool to travel together on amtrak in a group like that and with most of us in sleepers too, cant wait til next time to do this with you all again. Also want to thank Kevin for everything and helping to organize the fest and making things run so smooth.

Jack experienced his first long distance Amtrak trip in coach class, and then on the way back he took his first long distance Amtrak trip in First Class (sleeper). Jack loved it so much that just like the rest of the group he's looking ahead to next summer already and trying to figure out the best way he can join us for at least part of the trip.

I can't say it enough.... If you've ever read the trip reports and regretted not coming with us, please do consider attending another of our rail fests. You're bound to have a wonderful time!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:01 PM

Aloha "ya_all" Cant say how much fun this trip has been, as I am not home, Still in east with Sister, Cousin next, followed By Daughter/Granddaughter. Want to specially extend Aloha to the those I met for the first time on this Fest and looking forward to the next time we meet again, Aloha Oe 9I wont sing cause, I cant carry a tune, even with a bucket. LOL

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:24 PM

At this time we still have people on trains on their way back to New England or Chicago, but everyone else should by now be home.

Yup, 'cept Eric, who will eventually make his way some 6,000 miles across an entire continent and over the Pacific Ocean back to Hawaii. Our people going back to Massachusetts and Chicago have now completed their trips.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:41 AM

Yup, 'cept Eric, who will eventually make his way some 6,000 miles across an entire continent and over the Pacific Ocean back to Hawaii. Our people going back to Massachusetts and Chicago have now completed their trips.

I had the pleasure of hosting Eric, along with his sister and brother-in-law (Bonnie and Wayne) at the Northern Virginia Model Railroaders during our monthly operating session. The club is located in the 150 year old Washington and Old Dominion train station in Vienna, VA.

They arrived at 7:30, just as the session was beginning. After a brief introduction, Eric and family were given free reign to move around the railroad and train station while I went about operating my train. Eric was shooting both still and video images as we operated our Western North Carolina Railroad. About an hour later, during our "break for beans," we enjoyed a very pleasant visit. Eric and family departed just before 9 pm as they are visiting relatives in Philadelphia today.

A special "hats-off" to Bonnie for chauffeuring Eric around the National Capital Region, especially making the trip from Bowie, MD to Vienna during the evening rush hour. Fortunately, our summer Friday rush hours tend to start early, thus traffic was relatively light during their trip. Bonnie has also taken Eric to visit the Prince William Model Railroad Club located in the Quantico, VA train station (which is owned by VRE).

Ross

Northern Virginia Model Railroaders
Prince William Model Railroad Club
W & OD Railroad History
MapQuest - Bowie to Vienna

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:52 AM

Eric and his cameras are really making the rounds!!! :D

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:15 PM

For the benefit of those who could not join us, the following pages related to this Fest have been updated:

Our Fest Scorecard has been updated to show that the OTOL group has ridden TECO Line Streetcar, TriRail, MetroRail, and MetroMover.

http://pages.prodigy...n/scorecard.htm
http://pages.prodigy...tin/invteco.htm
http://pages.prodigy.../invtrirail.htm
http://pages.prodigy...itin/invmdt.htm

The Fest History page has been updated to reflect the Florida Fest as well:
http://pages.prodigy...ell/history.htm

Our participant list has been updated to reflect reality as well.
http://pages.prodigy...fest/guests.htm

The actual times we got to various timepoints in the itinerary are shown on the main itinerary page, next to the planned times for comparison. The eventual Fest report will explain why we might have been later than intended at certain points.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:20 PM

Finally, we can really close the books on FRF 2008 travels, as Eric has finally found his way home to Hawaii. After he got off the Silver Meteor in Washington, his travels took him to Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and California, before he finally located his island out in the Pacific Ocean. :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users