Amtrak to San Diego

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 Bill

Bill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:I like trains,don't care about hp, axles,length,consist or tonnage I just like trains since I have been about 10 years old. I enjoy taking pictures of trains plus riding Amtrak. Camp a lot next to a NS mainline in Blanchet KY.<br />

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:48 PM

Bill -- I suggest you sit on whichever side the sun is mostly not on. Given the times you mentioned, that means taking the NON-ocean side southbound, and the ocean side northbound.  You'll see all the scenery that way and not be bother by the sun which can be a big bother on this roughly northwest to southeast route.

Actually if you can get a seat near the middle of a car (at least not right at the end) you'll have pretty good views from both sides, except perhaps for beach views when the train is running on the cliff above the beach (a portion of San Clemente and about a 2 miles south of Solana Beach).

The route gets right along the beaches about 3-4 miles south of San Juan Capistrano station for several miles, then periodically after Oceanside southbound.

There is interesting scenery along the entire route for rail fans.  After crossing the L.A. river (concrete channel) south bound watch especially for railyards on the left for the next 10 miles or so.  The first big one is BNSF's major intermodal yard on the west coast -- you'll be on their main line tracks until just after Fullerton station.

Another sight of interest in the L.A. area is the Anaheim Angels stadium (I refuse to use the "official" name) which I always joke about -- the largest railroad station in the world, with 45,000 seats in the alternate waiting room.

South of Santa Ana watch for World War II blimp hangers on the right -- recently a Marine Corps helicopter base, but now I'm sure what is there now.

Interstate 5 (San Diego to the Canadian Border) parallels much of the "Surfliner" route -- check congestion as you go.

Mission San Juan Capistrano is not visible from the train -- the large church is relatively new.  But the station is worthy of note -- much of it is old railcars.

After leaving the beach along San Clemente you'll pass on your right the "Dolly Parton Memorial Nuclear Power Station" -- you'll see why we call it that.  Officially it's name is San Onofre.  From there to Oceanside you are mostly on the huge Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base, hence the lack of development.

A few miles south of Solana Beach you will leave the ocean behind and climb up Miramar Hill with many twists and turns going up -- this 2.2% grade is the steepest on the route.  From the top it is only a few minutes into downtown San Diego.  Watch for Mission Bay Park on the right -- first body of water you'll see -- and then San Diego's very-much-downtown airport.

Thank you very much for the info,I will print this page out,wish now that I had more time to spend in San Diego. It seems like a really nice place to visit but stay off the freeways and use public transport. The trolleys look like a great way to get around and see the local attractions. One thing I think we want to see is the San Diego seals tour plus wanting to see the whales migrate their way back to Alaska. The Old Town San Diego Historic Park and the aircraft carrier museum would be on mylist of things to see if we had more time but we want to see the more natural things this go around.Gotta admit the Model RR Museum will be on my next trip. Ferry Landing Marketplace looks like a nice place to be, sit back and watch the ships go by, too much too see not enough time.
Many thanks for your info Harry,

Bill

#12 Bill

Bill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:I like trains,don't care about hp, axles,length,consist or tonnage I just like trains since I have been about 10 years old. I enjoy taking pictures of trains plus riding Amtrak. Camp a lot next to a NS mainline in Blanchet KY.<br />

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:17 PM

Well I just got back at 6:15 this morning on the Cardinal from Chicago to Cincinnati. I am not going to do a trip report here since this is the wrong forum but I will say that every Amtrak employee I came in contact with was the best.....never had a better experience with Amtrak before,mmmmmmmmm Gunn......... Thanks for advice on my trip, it worked its way in to it here and there:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users