• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

For a personal point of view, I went by Hunterspoint today just to have a look around at things. I can report that the Line 1 tunnel (normal Amtrak outbound), Line 3 tunnel (normal LIRR outbound), and the Line 4 tunnel (normal LIRR inbound) were all in operation. I could see no signs of work in the Line 2 tunnel (normal Amtrak inbound) but there were also no trains entering said tunnel, even though the rails were polished.

I surmise that the Line 2 tunnel is still out from the fact that in addition to watching an LIRR train enter the Line 4 tunnel, I watched a hippo pull a NYP bound Regional from Boston into the Line 4 tunnel, and waiting on a rarely used yard track that leads to Line 4 was another Amtrak train. The normally full, at 3:30 PM on a weekday, yard leads to the Line 2 tunnel were empty of trains.

And finally, in my travels I encountered something that one rarely sees; a nearly empty Sunnyside yard and not a single NJT train in sight. Normally at 3:30 PM on a weekday, every track would be filled with a train or two even. And even on weekends, the yard is generally never this empty.

Posted Image
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#22 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:04 AM

Progressive Railroading, 11/8/12:

Amtrak to reopen three storm-damaged tunnels by late Friday

Amtrak plans to reopen by late Friday three tunnels that provide access to and from Penn Station New York (PSNY) that were significantly flooded and damaged by Hurricane Sandy.

Here's more.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#23 Sloan

Sloan

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 12851 posts
  • Interests:Light Rail & Commuter Rail<br>Passenger Rail Stations

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

Sorry, folks, Empire Service doesn't use Acela equipment despite what the photo indicates. :P

Sloan

http://hudsonvalley....e-this-morning/

#24 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Posted 11/8/12 and effective 11/9/12:

AMTRAK EMPIRE SERVICE RESTORED BETWEEN NEW YORK CITY AND ALBANY- RENSSELAER

November 8, 2012
6:30 p.m. ET

Amtrak has restored Empire Service between New York City and Albany-Rensselaer beginning on Friday, November 9, with the exceptions of trains 238 and 235. Service was temporarily disrupted due to damage from Hurricane Sandy. Necessary repairs have now been completed along the route between New York and Albany-Rensselaer.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some reservations booked online can be modified or canceled on http://Amtrak.com/ or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the http://Amtrak.com/ home page.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#25 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Progressive Railroading, 11/15/12:

Amtrak, NJ Transit to complete electrical substation repairs on Friday

Amtrak and New Jersey Transit are scheduled to complete repairs tomorrow to a key Amtrak-owned electrical substation in Kearny, N.J., which will provide power needed to allow for further expansion of service lost during Hurricane Sandy.

This story is here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#26 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

Bloomberg Business Week, 11/15/12:

Amtrak Back to Full Service for Thanksgiving, CEO Says

Amtrak will be ready to handle the surge of passengers expected during the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday after completing repairs on equipment damaged by last month’s superstorm, the passenger rail system’s chief said.

Here's the item.

Quotes of note:

...the railroad is borrowing equipment from Canada so it will have enough cars for holiday travelers, Joseph Boardman, Amtrak’s chief executive officer, said today in an interview.

The railroad also is obtaining extra equipment from Via Rail Canada Inc., which will be used on the line from Albany, New York, to Montreal, he said.

Well they aren't going to get any spare equipment from NJ TRANSIT this year, not with 1/4 of its fleet doing the backstroke in Kearny & Hoboken.

But now the second quote above says that VIA Rail's equipment will be put into service between Albany and Montreal. That means only the northern part of the Adirondack route. I hardly believe that the equipment used by one train is adequate enough to make a difference along the Northeast Corridor.

Amtrak will then be able to redeploy its own equipment to New Jersey to supplement that state’s rail system, which was damaged in the storm, he said.

Now that's a switch. Amtrak loaning its equipment to NJ TRANSIT? I think what they meant to say was that Amtrak can use its own equipment for the holiday extras, which will only pass through New Jersey on their way between New York City and Washington. Yet the timetables already include service on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend that have no amenities so they are presumably commuter cars.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#27 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

Amtrak will then be able to redeploy its own equipment to New Jersey to supplement that state’s rail system, which was damaged in the storm, he said.

Now that's a switch. Amtrak loaning its equipment to NJ TRANSIT? I think what they meant to say was that Amtrak can use its own equipment for the holiday extras, which will only pass through New Jersey on their way between New York City and Washington. Yet the timetables already include service on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend that have no amenities so they are presumably commuter cars.

Kevin,

Actually I've seen mention in a few other stories of the possibility that Amtrak would indeed load cars to NJT to help deal with their equipment shortage. I guess sort of an idea of resurrecting the Clockers, although whether they'd actually carry people form Philly or run empty to Trenton I have no idea.

I suppose that if they only loan cars, that they could also end up anyplace within NJT territory. But I would think that if Amtrak is loaning NJT any power, that would confine it's operation to the NEC.
Alan,

#28 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Kevin,

Actually I've seen mention in a few other stories of the possibility that Amtrak would indeed load cars to NJT to help deal with their equipment shortage. I guess sort of an idea of resurrecting the Clockers, although whether they'd actually carry people form Philly or run empty to Trenton I have no idea.

I suppose that if they only loan cars, that they could also end up anyplace within NJT territory. But I would think that if Amtrak is loaning NJT any power, that would confine it's operation to the NEC.

Dave Clinton (a friend from my years living near Boston) posted this elsewhere:

Due to equipment damage to NJ Transit equipment by Hurricane Sandy; many cars and locomotives were damaged, Amtrak is giving 4 trainsets to NJ Transit to fill their
void. Two of the “Adirondack” trainsets are going and 2 of the NYC/Toronto “Maple Leaf” sets are going. To replace them, Amtrak is leasing about 20 cars from VIA
Rail which will be delivered to the CP/D&H sometime today. They are going to run power up on Friday to bring the equipment to Rensselaer. So “The Adirondack” may have VIA Rail Canada equipment
starting next week, eh?

O-Canada !.....eh?

Dave

#29 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hmm does this mean that for a while NJT passengers will get a taste of Wifi while they are riding Amfleet I equipment? :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#30 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Only if Amtrak is loaning NJT cafe cars too, and I think that rather unlikely. While the AMF I cars are wired to carry the WiFi signals, the base equipment that makes the cellular data connection to support the signals in the coaches is located in the cafe cars. No cafe; no internet.
Alan,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users