• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

For what it is worth, both yesterday and today, 97 arrived in WPK before 98. :) Maybe it is a pattern, but I would not bet on it continuing every day for the next few months. :lol:

#22 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Penny, do you notice any patterns with weekdays vs. weekends? Sometimes in places there is less freight interference on weekends. Just curious..... in reality we're scheduled for a Monday.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#23 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Penny, do you notice any patterns with weekdays vs. weekends? Sometimes in places there is less freight interference on weekends. Just curious..... in reality we're scheduled for a Monday.

Lately, the Silvers have not been running on weekends. I have not noticed patterns, but, honestly, I have not been looking for any. It seems like the delays have not been so bad recently, but that could change in a heartbeat. I am not confident enough to try a points run from WPK on 97 to ORL and back on 98. However, I am planning a points run next month on 91 from ORL to KIS and back to ORL on 98.

I will do my best (between preparing tax returns) to track 97 and 98 into WPK/ORL, and report back to you and we can see if there are any patterns.

#24 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

They also may not be doing as much SunRail construction, if any, on weekends, unless they are running late and need to push to make a projected opening date.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#25 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

I think the Jacksonville thing would be fun with the group. There is an opportunity to check out some restaurants and shopping too. As far as the long layover in Richmond, I would prefer more train time and less sitting in the station since there is not much near that station.

#26 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

For what it is worth, both yesterday and today, 97 arrived in WPK before 98. :) Maybe it is a pattern, but I would not bet on it continuing every day for the next few months. :lol:

As of today (3/21/13), it has been 4 days in a row that 97 arrived in both WPK and ORL before 98 reached either city. (I am sure if I try a points run from WPK-ORL(97)-WPK(98) , I will be stuck like the last time I tried).

#27 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

I think the Jacksonville thing would be fun with the group. There is an opportunity to check out some restaurants and shopping too.

As far as the long layover in Richmond, I would prefer more train time and less sitting in the station since there is not much near that station.

Changing at Fredericksburg or Quantico can cut down on the long layover time, it's two hours at Fredericksburg and about 75 minutes at Quantico...that is if the 80 isn't delayed in the first place.

#28 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

As of today (3/27/13), every day since March 18th (when I started tracking the trains), train 97 has arrived in both WPK and ORL before 98 arrived in either city (except for Saturday 3/23 and Sunday 3/24 when both trains were canceled south of JAX). In fact, today, train 97 arrived in Orlando ON TIME, which is almost unheard of these days. :) :) :) :)

#29 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

As you can see, Penny is graciously tracking timekeeping of the Silver Meteors (97 and 98) in Florida, mainly because of the possibility of some wanting to turn back at a point south of Jacksonville and then returning to JAX for a shorter layover. If anyone would like to do something similar for the Silver Star (92), Piedmont (75), Carolinian (80), and/or Northeast Regionals 125 and 66, please feel free to do so.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#30 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

OK I've rolled out a few more products for you in the hopes this will help you decide what you want to do.

In the case of Monday in Florida, with a 13-hour stopover in Jacksonville vs. changing from 97 to 92 further south vs. changing from 97 to 98 + 6 hour layover in Jacksonville until 92, I created 3 different itineraries so you can have a clearer picture of your options.

The three itineraries are located here. Option 1 is the plan currently in the main itinerary, which includes the 13-1/2 hour layover in Jacksonville. Option 2 involves remaining on Train 97, then turning back at Deland, Winter Park, or Orlando to Train 98, and then having 6 hours in Jacksonville, before catching Train 92. Option 3 involves remaining on Train 97, then turning back at Winter Park, Orlando, Kissimmee, or Winter Haven to Train 92 and remaining on that train to North Carolina.

Option 2 is the one of most concern and the reason Penny is now monitoring whether connections are being made on a regular basis. Option 3 on the other hand, also involves some rather long layovers of 5 to 7-1/4 hours in Winter Park, Orlando, or Kissimmee, or a much shorter 1-1/3 hour connection in Winter Haven. The latter switch at Winter Haven includes Train 92's longer route via Lakeland and Tampa.

Also, I submit to you the options you have for Wednesday in Virginia, located here. First of all, now off the table is the option to go via Train 95 to Newport News and the Thruway bus from there to Norfolk. We're in agreement to take the newer Train 125 directly to Norfolk. So Option 1 is the aforementioned Trip via Train 80 from Charlotte to Richmond, a 4-1/2 hour layover, then 125 to Norfolk. Option 2 is to remain on Train 80 to Fredericksburg, a 2 hour layover, and then 125 to Norfolk. Option 3 also involves Fredericksburg, but with a shorter dwell there, returning to Richmond on 95 for an extra segment, and then 125 from there to Norfolk. Finally, Option 4 is the furthest north you could safely go, Quantico, where you would switch from Train 80 to 125 with 1 hour 13 minutes dwell if things are on time.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users