• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#11 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:57 PM

Yes Bill, we'll most likely post quarterly reports. However do to the formatting issues here on the BB, those reports will most likely appear on the main OTOL site.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#12 Amfleet

Amfleet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:55 AM

Question: I seem to remember on the old Prodigy site that you also kept track of members Amtrak Guest Reward points along with mileage. Is that correct and if it is would it be continued again with the new site?

#13 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:40 AM

Answer:

Yes, we did keep a tally of Guest Rewards points for about a year or so. However we decided not to keep this going for a few reasons:
  • Guest Rewards points are cumulative, meaning that each person's total is carried into the following year, unlike our mileage tally which was just for a particular calendar year.
  • In addition, should somebody redeem some or all of their reward points, their total would go down, not up. That wasn't fair to them, since they had to have earned a lot of points in order to be able to redeem them for rewards.
  • Finally, there were too many ways to earn points. Besides the purchase of Amtrak tickets, one could also earn GR points by having the Amtrak Guest Rewards Master Card, by staying in member hotels, or by transferring points from other programs such as airlines. In short, one could earn points by never setting foot on a train.
So we canned the GR tally and decided to focus solely on the mileage once our tally came back from its one-year hiatus.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#14 AmtrakFan

AmtrakFan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Baseball(Cubs and Red Sox), Football(Lions),Photograhy, Computers,Travel, Coins and Bickcycling.

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:40 PM

Question can you coun't your miles if you were detorued for example if I was on 7 from Chicago to Seattle and I was detorued on Chicago-Minneapolis can I could that? I am using this as an example.
John Poshepny

#15 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:18 PM

John, Sorry I didn't get to this answer sooner. After conferring with other Admins including the current and former mileage tally keepers, we agreed that only the mileage point to point will be credited to you. It would be too tedious for us to figure out what route a detoured train took, and then what the mileages were on the one or more freight railroads that hosted the train. So you will just get regular mileage as if the detour did not occur. We will amend the rules before 2006 to include this situation. Thanks for pointing it out to us! :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#16 benltrain

benltrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:24, Photography

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:19 AM

Since I am a new member, can I add miles from the past from the trips I have record of?
The Scheduled... 6:10... R5... Express to... Bryn Mawr... local to... Thorndale... Is now arriving on track... 4

#17 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:29 AM

Since I am a new member, can I add miles from the past from the trips I have record of?

Benltrain,

First of all welcome to OTOL! :) As a new member from the Philly area you're in good company around here.

We have held this mileage tally dating back probably to the mid-1990's, when our group was part of Prodigy. The tally has existed every year except for 2003, when we were in a state of transition as this board was founded in the middle of that year. We have had many "mileage keepers" take charge of the task, some of whom are still members (and administrators) and some who don't post regularly or at all anymore. The totals for our previous years have already been finalized and posted by the various people, so it would be difficult to go back and add to those totals.

Bill Magee is the current keeper of the Amtrak mileage. He has already posted results for 2006, his first year in doing the tally. I think with us already being 25% of the way through 2007, it's too late to add to 2006 or any previous years totals. I am sure Bill will concur with that. However, I believe that you should be able to post any mileage that you may have ridden from New Years Day 2007 to date.

Edited by KevinKorell, 29 March 2007 - 06:48 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#18 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:47 PM

Let me second Kevin's welcome to OTOL! The books for 2006 have indeed closed, but 2007 is open for business. Please post any miles you have ridden this year, even those from before you joined OTOL. We look forward to your postings both here and on our discussion boards. Bill

#19 Railette

Railette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:46 AM

Hi Alan, What is the mileage tally for Cleveland to Chicago? Railette in training (obviously) LOL

#20 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:07 AM

Hi Alan,

What is the mileage tally for Cleveland to Chicago?

Railette in training (obviously) LOL

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure either. But no worries, Bill can and will calculate the mileage for you when he updates the stats. :)
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users