#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

I have had a few inquiries about the January trip. As of now, it's still tentative and it's penciled in for the MLK weekend. Once I've ensured that the weekend is open for me, it can be officially announced. The goal for this is within the next month, hopefully by early November. At that time I'll create a new subforum for that event. The working name is New England RailFest, or acronym NERF, since it will be not only Boston but Rhode Island and Maine (also passing through New Hampshire).

As discussed in other threads as well as Sunday chat, a round trip over the entire new segment of the Downeaster is not practical for a group event due to its limited initial schedule. We will try to do it at a later date once more trips are operating. For now, the only possible Boston-Brunswick round trip includes a 5-1/2 hour layover, which is too long especially if it's cold, windy, or snowy.... all definite possibilities in the state of Maine in the winter. The other trains that serve Brunswick with much shorter layovers would involve staying over in Portland either the night before or after visiting Brunswick.

The latest itinerary I've worked out would involve a short turn on the Downeaster over the previously travelled portion, turning at Wells. This turn is about 40 minutes and I'm assuming that being an intermodal transportation center, that it will be open and provide shelter from the elements.

Also, doing Lowell and the Downeaster turn would not be possible if we went all the way back to North Station, but the transfer between them can be done at Anderson Station in Woburn. In the risk of sounding like I'm repeating myself, this turn is about 40 minutes and I'm assuming that being an intermodal transportation center, that it will be open and provide shelter from the elements. Gotta love copy/paste.

I had an idea for Friday in order to garner another 100 cheap AGR points. Rather than taking the T commuter train all the way from Boston to Wickford Junction, we could do an Amtrak Regional to Providence which leaves South Station 5 minutes sooner. We would then have to wait in the Providence station for the same T train to get there. For now, the Regional in coach class is $11, or $9.90 AAA rate. Coming back from Wickford Junction to Boston, there is no Regional in a convenient timeslot, so we would just remain on the T train to Boston.

The TENTATIVE itinerary now shows both Friday options, either a full Boston-Wickford Junction round trip, or the second option shaded in yellow which substitutes Amtrak in the BOS-PVD segment.

The past couple of winter Fests we've done "Request Fests" whereby we get some ideas of what people want to do -- perhaps personal segments they have not yet achieved. With the faces changing in our group, perhaps you wish to ride a particular line not currently on the itinerary that we've already covered on previous visits. I've left Sunday unplanned for now, as it may be a departure day for some who need to begin travelling home. If you want to ride any transit or commuter lines in the area AND plan to attend (AND they still run on weekends), let me know and perhaps we can coordinate that into a Sunday program.

But you've got to communicate. No discussion means no interest. If you want these Fests to continue, you need to participate in the planning so we can try to accommodate your wishes.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 nashscan

nashscan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, Scanning, Amateur Radio, and more.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:21 AM

FWIW, I have no requests as to which lines I ride, because I am a New England virgin. I trust those more familiar with the region to make those decisions. I do plan on reserving an Amtrak roomette from Birmingham, AL to NY Penn on the Crescent, transferring to a regional train to Boston. I understand the penalty for cancelling is 10% of the fare, which is reasonable. It all depends on my ability to get time off from work. We are allowed to ask off work exactly three months ahead of the days we want. I'll have the mouse button ready to click at exatly 23:59 hours on Oct 15.
Preston from Nashville

Nashville needs Amtrak!

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

OK but everyone should realize that there are financial risks if you make non-cancellable reservations for travel or hotels, and things don't turn out as planned. Hate to see anyone lose money and not get what they paid for!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

I'm not a New England (or Rhode Island) virgin! :lol: The thought of the cheap 100 AGR points is good, the MBTA rate between PVD and Wickford Junction is I hear not that cheap. I have not taken that segment yet (even though I live only 18 miles from Wickford Junction), but personally I would not recommend the Amtrak->MBTA option. I'd vote for the straight MBTA option - which is less anyway. BTW: Although I have only seen the Wickford Junction station from the outside (from both trackside and roadside), it looks nice! And right next to the station is a Staples (in case you need any supplies). In the same shopping center (but a much longer walk) is a Wal-Mart. Count me in for the NERF! (My first OTOL fest!)

Edited by the_traveler, 17 October 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#5 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

Kevin, I'd vote for the alternative itinerary and the extra AGR points. Yes, it means hanging around the station a bit in PVD, but I think it worth that hassle. As for requests, I done everything up there. However I notice that you've not gotten an overwhelming response to your query, so I'll throw out the following with the caveat that requests for those who've not done all the routes should be honored first. First, the Mattapan Trolley is always neat to ride again, and who knows how many more years they'll keep it going, or be able to keep it going. It's also been many years since the group rode that, and they've changed the loop at Ashmont. So doing that again should be considered. And then I'd say that we should consider the Franklin Line, since it's been a dozen years or so since we did that as a group. This assumes that layover times aren't terrible as we don't want to freeze out there if the weather is dicey.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

Franklin Line, to be exact we did it 10-1/2 years ago January 2013. The Boston "T" Party 2002 itinerary (also remembered as the Ice Cream in Haverhill Fest) looked so simple back then!

But agreed I'm looking to appease those who haven't yet done some of the lines with us. The only definites so far are Wickford Junction (which is new) and Lowell (which we didn't yet do officially).

Mattapan is a good idea too... of course with it comes the "A" branch of the Red Line to access it. We did it on an impromptu basis killing time before dinner at our Boston "T" Party 2008 event, which took place in November of that year. Therefore it would be 4 years 2 months between then and January 2013. IIRC at that time they were wrapping up construction of the new loop in Ashmont; the new alignment was already in place but the station was still under heavy construction. So seeing it completed would be a novelty too.

I see above that we have one vote on each side for Amtrak vs. MBTA between South Station and Providence. There is nothing wrong with the group splitting into portions and doing what each person sees fit. I realize Amtrak may not be in everyone's budget as the cheaper alternative exists. We've had "simul-Fests" before; my only inner crisis is that I can't split in two and be at both. :) Imagine two of me...

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

I am considering attending the NERF. I have only been to Boston twice by train, so I am somewhat of a Boston virgin. A few dollars difference in fares will not bother me, however, since I am a Floridian, standing out on a platform for a long period of time in a blizzard might bother me. :lol: I have a question as to the dates that are being considered. My calendar indicates that MLK day in 2013 is January 21st. I just received a text from a friend who thinks it is the prior weekend. (I have a reputation for making wrong turns, I would hate to get the reputation for showing up on the wrong weekend :lol: )

#8 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

I have a question as to the dates that are being considered. My calendar indicates that MLK day in 2013 is January 21st. I just received a text from a friend who thinks it is the prior weekend.

Your calendar is correct. MLK day in 2013 is January 21 (the third Monday).

#9 MistyOLR

MistyOLR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

I'm up for just about anything, considering my prior coverage is limited to the subway... current coverage there is Blue, Orange, Red (minus the Mattapan Trolley) and, to my recollection, Lechmere to Heath on that "mess" :P

Technicalities suck and legal name changes are a mess after it happens.

#10 the_traveler

the_traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

Kevin - The $11 fare for BOS-PVD on Friday is "E" bucket and is lower than the AAA rate! The AAA rate would be $13.xx!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users