27 replies to this topic

#11 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

we could do a FULL run on the downeaster though whats to do during the 5+ hour layover.

Edited by amtrakwolverine, 01 December 2012 - 12:17 AM.

#12 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82604 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

we could do a FULL run on the downeaster though whats to do during the 5+ hour layover.

Freeze.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#13 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

Freeze.

:rolleyes:

how about take NE regional 99 to new haven ride Conn dot commuter or metro north and then take 194 or 132 back.

Edited by amtrakwolverine, 01 December 2012 - 01:47 AM.

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82604 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

how about take NE regional 99 to new haven ride Conn dot commuter or metro north and then take 194 or 132 back.

We did Shore Line East a few years ago, and have done the MNRR New Haven Line & its branches over the years as well. That is not to say we can't return, but I'd rather ride those as part of a New York based Fest than coming down from Boston to do it.

Also, there are a few good reasons to stay off the NEC on a Sunday. It's peak fares and peak travel, which puts empty seats (read near windows and electrical outlets) at a premium.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Red Line should be OK, they should be finished for this year's cycle of work next weekend. Unless there is an unforseen problem the northern section should be open all weekend that weekend. There isn't any other work planned so far, all normal repair/replacement projects are all but shut down for the wintoer. Only the renovations/TOD construction projects are going on still.

#16 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82604 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

OK thanks, Ed. So I'll try to see if it is possible to do the entire Blue and Orange Lines, both branches of the Red Line including the Mattapan trolley, and all 4 branches of the Green Line including Lechmere and the stubby little remainder of the E route -- all in the time frame of shorter daylight. The only connections to exploit outside of the city center would be between the two Red Line branches at JFK/U-Mass, and the Green Line at Kenmore and Copley, and at the Reservoir & Cleveland Circle stations which are steps away from one another.

Not to say this is the final choice, but it does allow some to get the transit route coverage they so desire, the Brigham Circle issue notwithstanding. If we were to do the previously suggested Fitchburg commuter line, there's also the transfer at Porter Square between it and the Red Line.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#17 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

You all are making me want to come back Monday.

#18 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82604 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

Here's the deal with the MBTA. I tried working out an intinerary this evening for the transit-only idea. Time simply doesn't allow for the whole system in a day, unless one starts very early in the morning and finishes late in the evening. I kept in mind that the preferred routes to ride would involve the Red and Green Lines, in order to cover the Mattapan Trolley and the B, C, D, E, and Lechmere branches of the Green Line. An entire day's activity can be planned, minus ample time for lunch, with no time left for the Blue and Orange Lines unless people have the stamina to continue after dinner and long after dark. And i think we'll have some among us who don't mind those late night jaunts.

I won't make it public right now because I'm still refining it, but arbitrarily I had us starting around 9:30 AM and finishing around 6 PM, with a lunch break between 12:40 PM and 2:04 PM. To minimize travel after dark, I could move things up about 40-45 minutes earlier, so that we don't get to the lunch stop at a shopping mall much before 12 Noon. That would mean starting roughly 8:45 AM and completing the day about 5:15 PM.

I'll still also be working out an option for Fitchburg and/or Rockport. My gut feeling is to hold off on Fitchburg, because of the fact that this line is being extended a couple of miles on its western end, so we can catch that line including its new trackage on the next Boston visit.

Edited by KevinKorell, 06 December 2012 - 02:34 AM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#19 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

Keep us posted. Mike and I plan on a moonlight run friday or Saturday on some of the geen line branches because our hotel is in that direction. We are also hoping to eat one meal in fanueil hall so I can eat a lobser roll.

#20 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82604 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

All right here is a POTENTIAL Sunday all-transit itinerary, taking in all of the Red Line & Mattapan Trolley in the morning, and all branches of the Green Line including the downtown core subway in the afternoon. Those who still wish to ride the Blue & Orange Lines would have to do them on their own after dinner on a "moonlight" basis.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users