• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#11 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

Both First Avenue alternatives advanced to the Tier 2 Evaluation. I knew 4th and 5th couplet would not work, as 4th Ave is used for parades.

Seattle Transit Blog

An SDOT report (.pdf) to the city council indicates that the 1st Avenue alignment had overwhelming support and was the better choice for connecting downtown destinations, minimizing impact to buses and bikes, and redevelopment.

#12 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:22 AM

Well, New Mayor, but same idea. Mayor Ed Murray at least supports the concept of the Center City Connector, while acknowledging that the bus is the workhorse of the transit system. The new mayor is a resident of the Capitol Hill area, and represented it in Olympia.

Seattlemet.com

Specifically, Murray highlighted the need to connect the First Hill streetcar, currently under construction, to the South Lake Union streetcar, which ends at Westlake. The new streetcar connector would likely run along First Avenue between the north end of downtown and Pioneer Square.

"When completed, these streetcars will carry more than 31,000 daily riders and will connect South Lake Union, the Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, the International District, the new Yesler Terrace, First Hill and Capitol Hill with trains as frequent as every 5 minutes," Murray said in his speech.

Last week, however, city council transportation chair Tom Rasmussen cast a shadow over Murray's vow to complete the First Hill-to-South Lake Union streetcar line, telling PubliCola that although he isn't opposed, in theory, to building a downtown streetcar connector, he also isn't convinced that a streetcar is the best use of very limited transportation dollars.

Edited by EvergreenRailfan, 14 March 2014 - 04:23 AM.

#13 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Last week, however, city council transportation chair Tom Rasmussen cast a shadow over Murray's vow to complete the First Hill-to-South Lake Union streetcar line, telling PubliCola that although he isn't opposed, in theory, to building a downtown streetcar connector, he also isn't convinced that a streetcar is the best use of very limited transportation dollars.

I have written the following e-mail to councilmember Rasmussen:

Dear Tom:

I know you are not particularly an advocate of local rail options, but I hope you will not stand in the way of the implementation the downtown streetcar connector. We will soon have two successful (yes, I predict the First Hill streetcar will be successful) lines which beg to be connected. What better way than via the same mode? Study after study has shown that, given a choice, the public much prefers rail over bus. For instance, when I take the bus downtown, I make it a point to get off well before my stop due to bus reroutes, construction delays, etc., and hop on the South Lake Union streetcar at Mercer Street. On Sundays, when I normally drive if going downtown, I park along Westlake Avenue and take the streetcar from the SLU Park stop. Bus and streetcar: it's the difference between night and day! Where applicable and feasible (at eminently in this case) it seems to be the best "route to take". The connector idea has been incubating and discussed for years and a very thoughtful, well written plan has been drawn up. I suppose it needs city council approval before it can be brought to fruition. It is not for nothing that city after American city--including ours--has been opting for a streetcar network. Cities are practically falling over each other to build lines, which I sincerely hope WE will continue to do.

You'd probably recognize me if you saw me as we have spoken before on various subjects, including transportation issues. I trust you will "come around" on this issue of vital importance to the continued vibrancy of our great downtown area. END OF E-MAIL.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

Mark, good to see people being active and contacting their elected officials. While we're at it, how about a modern streetcar replacement for the Waterfront (later George Benson) Streetcar, via another connection from the First Hill line through the International District ?? Of course the Viaduct replacement project notwithstanding.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

KK: Glad you asked about a waterfront streetcar. In the extensive plans that have been drawn up for a post-viaduct waterfront, a streetcar element is missing. Not for lack of interest. BUT I have a bone to pick (as I mention at every meeting) and that is the so-called historic Benson streetcars are historic only to Melbourne, Australia and NOT to Seattle. In fact when I mentioned this to the number 1 project manager, to me surprise he said he was unaware that they had no historic value to Seattle. OK, they ran for maybe ten years, but they are imports. Our vintage streetcars were of course scrapped, thus the need to go abroad for retired Melbourne streetcars, which former city councilman Benson learned were up for sale. The Melbourne cars still have advertisements for, among others, group rentals of cars for excursions throughout the Melbourne network and various Aussie signage. I would love a line along a reconfigured waterfront, which will be wider that the constrained area we have now (nothing more really than sidewalk). But I don't want the clunky, jerky, uncomfortable Benson cars since they are NOT historic to Seattle. Not ADA accessible, either, and that is a sine qua non these days. I, like you, I want modern cars which can hook up to the new First Hill line. If not those, then none, AFAIK.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#16 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

Well, look how San Francisco was able to put together a network of PCC and other heritage trolley cars from various US and international cities for their "F-Market & Wharves" line (and the rarely operated "E-Embarcadero" line). And I think San Diego is doing it too for their so-called "Silver Line" but I'm not sure how much of a fleet they have. Surely there must be more surplus out there that Seattle could pick up if they want to go the heritage route. But at this point with modern streetcar lines already in operation with another one soon to come, go for the same technology. Since the issue with the loss of the Waterfront line was the encroachment of the right-of-way and the storage barn by the art museum, by connecting it to another line they won't need that storage barn in that location anymore.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#17 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:33 PM

​Upcoming start of work announced on connecting the two current streetcar lines with the First Avenue Connector.  Yet another of the many new lines awaiting a future Fest.

From the Seattle Times.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#18 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:00 AM

​More, many more details from The Urbanist.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#19 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:13 AM

Great to see construction about to begin.

#20 Sloan

Sloan

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 12851 posts
  • Interests:Light Rail & Commuter Rail<br>Passenger Rail Stations

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:09 AM

Seattle to spend $177M on new streetcar line amid questions about ‘unrealistic’ revenue, rider projections

Seattle is slated to break ground soon on a streetcar line running along First Avenue. Officials say it will provide a crucial link through downtown, but streetcar lines aren’t meeting projections, and critics say the city’s assumptions aren’t realistic.

http://www.seattleti...er-projections/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users