• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

The first day (round trip to High Bridge) went well, the train was early arriving in High Bridge due to schedule padding. Return arrived in Newark on time. There were numerous delays elsewhere on the corridor due to cold weather.

#2 NJCoastExp

NJCoastExp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

I wish it had left late from NWK. When I ran onto the platform the cab car was passing by the door. My train was late incoming into NWK, with dispatch putting Amtrak (184 in this case) before NJT at MET and delaying it even more. At least I got a free trip inbound. Conductor never punched the ticket, so I know now, what I will be doing on my birthday. :D

This is train 3267, 5:43 Long Branch express with connection to Bay Head. South Amboy is next. First and last cars are Quiet Cars. All tickets please.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

Yeah poor Piotr missed it by that much. :( For everyone's sake I do also wish they could have held up for him, because it would have shortened our time waiting outside in the cold.

The other 11 of us had a nice round trip out to High Bridge. Once there, as John mentioned, we had a healthy layover since we came in about 12 minutes before the advertised. If you've been following the weather you know it had to be anything but pleasant out there.

We had a late add, as Chris who we met on the Boston fest 2 months ago was able to join us in Newark. I'll adjust the list to include him when I get home.

And we expect things to be just as cold as we do Newark Airport's AirTrain tomorrow morning, followed by a round trip to Poughkeepsie in the afternoon, making use of both Metro North and Amtrak.

We have a possibility of snow for our Sunday trip to/from Connecticut. Should make life even more interesting! :o

Edited by KevinKorell, 16 January 2009 - 10:57 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

Day Two if the MNY Rail Fest 2009 went OK. We had 16 people involved today. First, a smaller group of 11 rode AirTrain Newark. At least the thing was running this time, unlike our 2002 attempt. But they were apparently having some switch problems near the rail station end of the line, so we got a late start and short turned at Terminal A in order to ensure we would be back in time for our commuter train to New York. Then as it turned out, we caught a very late NJT train from the airport to New York, running about 15 minutes earlier than the one we expected to catch. After lunch at Grand Central Terminal, we took the ride out to Poughkeepsie, going up on Metro North and returning on Amtrak. Very delightful ride both ways. Those who were on the river side of the train got to see mostly ice. The MN train ran on time, and the Amtrak train got to us about 20 minutes down but ended up in NYP only 10 minutes late. The majority of the group had dinner at TGI Friday's on 34th Street, and then went our separate ways. Another cold one, but we survived. Tomorrow we wrap up the 3 days with our trip to Connecticut.

Edited by KevinKorell, 17 January 2009 - 09:29 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:33 PM

Day Two if the MNY Rail Fest 2009 went OK. We had 16 people involved today.

First, a smaller group of 11 rode AirTrain Newark. At least the thing was running this time, unlike our 2002 attempt. But they were apparently having some switch problems near the rail station end of the line, so we got a late start and short turned at Terminal A in order to ensure we would be back in time for our commuter train to New York. Then as it turned out, we caught a very late NJT train from the airport to New York, running about 15 minutes earlier than the one we expected to catch.

After lunch at Grand Central Terminal, we took the ride out to Poughkeepsie, going up on Metro North and returning on Amtrak. Very delightful ride both ways. Those who were on the river side of the train got to see mostly ice. The MN train ran on time, and the Amtrak train got to us about 20 minutes down but ended up in NYP only 10 minutes late.

The majority of the group had dinner at TGI Friday's on 34th Street, and then went our separate ways.

Another cold one, but we survived.

Glad to see everything went well!

Tomorrow we wrap up the 3 days with our trip to Connecticut.

The part of the fest I'll be at! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Edited by Long Train Runnin', 17 January 2009 - 09:33 PM.

#6 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:35 PM

Glad to see everything went well!

Tomorrow we wrap up the 3 days with our trip to Connecticut.

The part of the fest I'll be at! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Glad that your getting to join the group, as they are true ambassadors of the Aloha spirit (even while freezing).

Aloha

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

The third and final day is over. Today most of us did a round trip on Metro North's New Haven Line, as well as Shore Line East to Old Saybrook. 16 people were involved. Two of those 16 were 16. We were joined by Lou's wife Lisa for part of our outbound trip. Today was a true winter RailFest, with light snow falling much of the day and fresh snow being kicked up by our trains. At least today's temperatures were not as brutal as we experienced Friday & Saturday.

Edited by KevinKorell, 18 January 2009 - 11:02 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

Two of those 16 were 16. We were joined by Lou's wife Lisa for part of our outbound trip.

Who was 16? :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

#9 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

I was looking online for inauguration train photos and by chance tripped into this. Someone put up a photo of Shore Line East in New Haven (timestamp a little before 4PM) the same day we were there.

It might have been the same engine from our trip, but I never went all the way up to the engine while I was there:

http://www.flickr.co...kam/3206822585/

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

John, I don't know for sure, but once other photos from the trip surface, maybe we will see the same engine. FWIW, from the schedule I believe they only use one consist on weekends, back and forth on a bihourly schedule.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users