Photo

Get your commuter rail tickets by Internet & mail!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:44 PM

On my Costs Page for BARF 2007, I have links to both LIRR and MNRR for their online ticket sales.

Trusting myself as much as I trust eating in Taco Bell these days, I went ahead and ordered my LIRR tickets for Friday evening and my MNRR tickets for Sunday. All of ther orders were placed online. LIRR was ordered the afternoon of Friday 12/8. Despite the weekend in between, they were delivered in my mail on Monday 12/11. The Metro North tickets, ordered the same afternoon, showed up today, Wednesday 12/13. So all in all, no more than 5 days for both. If you live outside the area particularly, or if you don't usually get near Penn Station New York, Grand Central, or other stations with ticket machines, then this option should be for you. And you get free postage and a 5% discount off the published regular and already discounted prices, so you make out very well. Having tickets ahead of time will cut down on wait times for our groups if anyone encounters a machine he must use to purchase tickets.

Rember to order with LIRR a ticket from Long Island City to Jamaica, peak period, and then Jamaica to Penn Station, off peak.

For Metro North, you want discounted off peak tickets, minus the 5% discount on top of that. The station pairs will be: GCT - Wassaic (includes transfer at Southeast), Wassaic - White Plains (includes transfer at Southeast), and White Plains - GCT. While you can put more than one person from the same traveling party on tone ticket, each of the above three segments has to have its own ticket.

As for Metrocards vs FunCards for the subway, it looks like the pay-per-ride Metrocard will probably be the fest intstrument given the small number of entries we plan on making into the system. Some of us already have regular Metrocards and will need to pump them up with more money before Friday, January 12th. Mine in particular expires anyhow at the end of 2006, so I'll be in the city to purchase a new one before then.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users