#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:28 PM

10 days to go until our BARF 2007 event! :)

This past Friday we learned of two service disruptions that can ultimately affect us.

Reproduced from my other post:

No C trains running; Take the A instead

12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Sun
Jan 6 – Feb 18

A trains run local making all C station stops.

This will cause our trip on the A train to be much slower than expected. It will also cause the calling times at stations to be totally thrown off since the trains operate slower, and have to contend with E trains on the local tracks south of 50th Street.

This will affect us even worse if there is an L train issue, since the A was to be our relief route in the event of the L train not running. That would result in our running local through Brooklyn too, costing us still more time.

Brooklyn-bound F trains run on the A from West 4 to Jay Sts

12:01 AM to 5 AM Tue to Fri
Jan 2 – Mar 16
12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon
Jan 6 – Feb 19

For service to Bdwy-Lafayette St, transfer to the D at West 4 St.

For service to 2 Av, Delancey St, East Broadway, and York St, take the F to Jay St and transfer to a Manhattan-bound F.

For service from these stations, take an uptown F to West 4 St and transfer to a Brooklyn-bound F.

This service change is needed to allow for track work.

This would also affect us if we were to ride the A instead of the L between 8th Avenue/14th Street and Broadway Junction, since F trains will be sharing the tracks with the A train between West 4th Street and Jay Street, and the E will be on the same tracks as far south as Canal Street.

Also, the F diversion via the A will probably throw off the F schedule over its entire route. We will be riding the F in the Jamaica, Queens area and also in Brooklyn.

I'm expecting a third diversion to be coming, and that may involve the G. Often they curtail service at Hoyt-Shermerhorn Streets rather than Smith-9th. When that happens, one has to take the A one stop to Jay Street and switch for the F on the opposite platform. With the above diversions to the A and the F, things should be quite interesting.

We will know of any more diversions that might affect us by this coming Friday 1/5, however it is possible that they could spring some last-minute ones upon us on the Friday of the fest.

At the present time, we have 14 people indicating they will attend. If you have not yet told me you're coming, please e-mail me.

More updates to follow!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:32 PM

I'm expecting a third diversion to be coming, and that may involve the G. Often they curtail service at Hoyt-Shermerhorn Streets rather than Smith-9th. When that happens, one has to take the A one stop to Jay Street and switch for the F on the opposite platform. With the above diversions to the A and the F, things should be quite interesting.

Well it's worse than that!! The G line is being terminated at Bedford-Nostrand, with bustitution between there and Jay Street-Boro Hall.

I was just in the city yesterday and today previewing many of the connections we will be making, but now I've previewed a connection we obviously won't be making. The only prudent way of doing this is to remain on the F line end to end from Jamaica/179th Street to Coney Island, including going via Manhattan and the detour over the A line between West 4th Street and Jay Street-Boro Hall.

Nick gave me the bad news which I then confirmed when I saw the weekly MTA update. He suggested a couple of alternatives which would salvage part of the G line, but I've "Nick"sed those ideas because we would have to ride over them again when we finally do get the entire G line in. So now you know what will be on tap for BARF 2008! :)

The benefit of riding the F train from end to end as suggested above is that we avoid three timely transfers:
  • Roosevelt Avenue (F to E)
  • 23/Ely-Court Square (E to G)
  • Smith-9th (G to F)
Note that the Queens-bound F train over that weekend is being rerouted over the V (which means it goes through the 53rd Street E tunnel instead of its usual route via the 63rd Street tunnel). We won't be affected by that one.

Also, on the L line is running in two sections, with the transfer at Broadway Junction. We're going to that station, which means more congestion for us to deal with. Also, Broadway Junction on the L has side platforms, not an easy place to make a transfer like that. Most likely the Canarsie segment of the L line will use the J platforms instead as they did in a previous year when we rode that part of the line.

I also found on my inspection tour today that there is station and street construction at the Jamaica Center station. One cannot exit the station on the northeast corner of Parsons/Archer near many of the restaurants, and entry will be blocked on weekends as well (although I could enter there today, a weekday). So one has to use the station exit and entrance across Archer Avenue on the LIRR (south) side of the street.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:45 AM

Oh look, here's another one they snuck in for me. The Manhattan-bound N trains are running on the D line from Coney Island to 36th Street in Brooklyn. While this won't change what train we are taking, having the N running on the D line could cause us some congestion along the West End Line.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users