15 replies to this topic

#11 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 22 August 2004 - 03:06 AM

I think that's where the arrivals heading directly to the yard are put now. Putting them on the Old Colonie/Midlands lead tracks doesn't tie up both the tracks leading to Back Bay and the Old Colony/Midlands tracks like those arriving on track 9/10 do and seperates arrivals from departures when there are Amtrak trains heading in opposite directions(South/west vs. heading to the yard).

#12 NickG

NickG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5396 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:08 PM

Don't all arriving Regionals have to go to the yard so that the engine can be moved from the north end of the train to the south end (or be replaced)?
Nick Gibbon

New York, NY/Philadelphia, PA

#13 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82615 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:48 PM

Although it would seem highly unpopular, wasn't there a time when they wyed arriving trains while in revenue service, backing them into South Station so that they would be ready for southbound service and therefore not necessarily need a trip to the yard?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#14 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:14 PM

For arrivals? Probably hasn't been done in years. I would think that is mostly done in the yard now, especially with the addition of the Old Colony service at station. It would also explain some of the equiptment being put on the higher numbered tracks as well, avoid using the wye and do the turnaround in the yard.

#15 CCC

CCC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:26 PM

In my experience going back to the early 1950s I have never been on a train arriving into the Boston South station that was wyed or looped before enterring the terminal. I don't think the loop is still in place. Also,I once arrived on track one on the Middleboro commuter instead of the usual tracks,11-13.

#16 winwithceltics

winwithceltics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 01:46 PM

Kevin, I was born 19 years before you and, if that happened, I can't recall it. Anyway, don't give them any ideas!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users