WARF Weather

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 nashscan

nashscan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, Scanning, Amateur Radio, and more.

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:01 AM

I remember last year at the Winter Railfest in Philly / NYC, the forecast for my flight out was sunny not a cloud in the sky.  I barely escaped NYC as a blizzard dumped insane amounts of snow and half of all flights were cancelled.  It's just too unpredictable.  I've got a feeling this forecast will probably be accurate, but you never know.  

Preston from Nashville

Nashville needs Amtrak!

#12 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:36 AM

We were extremely lucky last year as that was a monster snowstorm that hit just a day after people had left town after the Fest. It would have seriously affected the travels of many had it hit just 24 hours earlier.

I see predictions here for rain, not snow, for the midweek days in the week leading up to the Fest weekend, so hopefully the warmer trend continues.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#13 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:05 PM

Now that we are within 6 days (Saturday is within the 5-day forecast range, but for Sunday one still has to look at the 10-day forecast), here is what weather.com is showing for Washington:

Saturday, 1/17:  Sunny, high 48 and low 36.  0% chance of precipitation (which would be all rain if there was given it's above freezing!)

Sunday 1/18: Partly cloudy, high 54 and low 31. 10% chance of precipitation (which if it occurs at the 31 degree point could be a little messy.  However with the temperature going so high nothing would remain of it.)

Also checking Baltimore for Saturday 1/17:  Sunny, high 42 and low 34. 0% chance of precipitation.

54 is jacket weather. If we dress in layers remember there is noplace to put shed layers other than to carry them around all day. So one either suffers the cold in the morning with a lighter coat or jacket, or wears a heavy coat in the 50's and roasts.   Maybe we could wear coats in the morning, and somehow be able to leave them in the Club Acela, returning for them later?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#14 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

The worst is wearing a heavy coat on a train with the heat on high.  

#15 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:58 AM

My how things change in a day.  The same source has now backed off a few degrees for Washington, and the Sunday forecast now has a higher chance of precipitation.

Saturday, 1/17:  Sunny, high 43 and low 35.  Still a 0% chance of precipitation.

Sunday 1/18: Partly cloudy has changed to SHOWERS, high 50 and low 33. 10% chance of precipitation has risen to 60%, which is more certain it will rain than before.

Baltimore Saturday 1/17:  Sunny, high 37, low 34. Remains a 0% chance of precipitation.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#16 nashscan

nashscan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, Scanning, Amateur Radio, and more.

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:38 PM

That kinda sucks, but it could be much much worse.  I'll take it.  And maybe one extra layer to boot.  

Preston from Nashville

Nashville needs Amtrak!

#17 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:28 PM

That kinda sucks, but it could be much much worse.  I'll take it.  And maybe one extra layer to boot.  

Yes, two boots might be a good idea.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#18 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:24 AM

Rain may be a downer as far as looking at scenery where the Metro runs outdoors, but it should not adversely affect us.  If we do that walk to the Hopscotch Bridge to see where the Union Station streetcar stop is, the majority of the walk is within the parking garage/bus terminal and is thus covered.  If we can't see the track/streetcar stop from the garage, it would be a very short walk outside and halfway across H Street.

Outdoor Metro stations should be well covered -- although we might elect to just remain where we are on the platform instead of walking the length of the platform to change ends.

The walk from Tysons Corner Metro to the mall does require some outdoor walking, so that is of most concern. Hopefully it won't be pouring.   Perhaps we can do some alternate plan where we all return downtown and go to another place for lunch accessible from underground Metro stations if that is the case. We'll know and be able to decide when we travel back from Wiehle/Reston East to Tysons Corner.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#19 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:12 AM

According to weather.com, 80% chance of rain is forecast for Sunday.  If it is raining, I will applaud "some alternate plan" for lunch that does not involve walking outdoors. 

#20 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

The National Weather Service has a 40% chance of rain Sunday.  These differeces among forecasts are common for this area; meterologists find accurate forecasting for this area very difficult. 

National Weather Service - Washington, DC (as of 9:30 am Thursday):

• Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 42. Northwest wind 8 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.
  • Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 27. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light north after midnight.
  • Saturday Sunny, with a high near 40. Light and variable wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the morning.
  • Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 33.
  • Sunday A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 47. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32.
  • M.L.King Day Mostly sunny, with a high near 41.

Ross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users