Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43491 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:56 PM

USDOT Connections  blog, 6/13/17:

Meet FRA’s Railroad Safety Inspector of the Year: Corwyn Foster
Posted by The Federal Railroad Administration

In April, the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) held its 43rd annual awards ceremony, honoring employees for their unwavering commitment to railroad safety.  Awards were given to individuals and teams that exemplified FRA’s core values and supported the agency’s mission.

While all honorees received due praise, one recipient received special recognition: Corwyn Foster, FRA’s Railroad Safety Inspector of the Year.

Foster has a special story about an unforgettable day when he was inspecting train tracks, October 20, 2016.  His actions on that day involved a level of heroism and selflessness that many might not exude in the heat of the moment.

Meet Corwyn Foster.

Corwyn%20Foster_IOY.jpg
(L-R) FRA Executive Director Pat Warren, FRA Inspector of the Year Corwyn Foster, Mr. Foster’s wife Gaea Daniel, and FRA Associate Administrator for Railroad Safety/Chief Safety Officer Bob Lauby.

Q:  How long have you been with FRA?

Foster:  I joined FRA’s Region 3 team in Atlanta, Ga., in April 2010 as a FRA Track Safety Inspector.  Prior to that, I worked at CSX for four years as a Roadmaster.  My duties as a Roadmaster were similar to FRA’s Track Safety Inspectors. 

As a Roadmaster, I inspected and maintained track integrity to comply with industry and federal safety standards.  As an FRA Inspector, I am actively involved with the railroad’s Maintenance of Way supervisors to ensure that they maintain the Track Safety Standards set forth by the federal government.  My goals as a Roadmaster remained the same as an FRA Inspector: reduce derailments and personal injuries for employees working on or near the tracks.

Q:  Why did you decide to leave the industry to join the federal side?

Foster:  As a CSX Roadmaster, I worked very closely with FRA inspectors.  I was inspired by FRA inspectors and their commitment to making rail travel as safe as possible.  They gave me the opportunity to join the federal side of the house, and so I did, but with the idea in my head that it would only be for a year and then I would go back to the railroad industry.  

Fast forward seven years and I’m still here!  I think this is also due to the quality of life afforded by the FRA.  My days were long at CSX – sometimes 12 or more hours on an average work day.  Prior to CSX, I served 20 years in the Army and didn’t really know what it meant to have a quality of life.  Now I enjoy the luxury of quality of life while doing what I love as an FRA Track Safety Inspector.

Q:  What’s a typical day like for you?

Foster:  Well, each day starts with a plan, but it quickly changes based on daily events.  I get to choose where I work throughout the day and week.  It’s very flexible.  I’ll start out inspecting tracks in one area, and the next thing I know I’m gone for a couple of days inspecting tracks in a different location.  I have the opportunity to work in different locations, with a different group of people every day, and I enjoy that.

Q:  What happened on October 20, 2016?

Foster:  Region 3 was requested to send one inspector to assist with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) track inspections in Washington, DC, and I volunteered.

October 20, 2016 started out as a normal day.  We met at the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Metro Station to discuss the day’s inspector tour.  We began walking the tracks, facing oncoming Metro trains, and traveling northbound toward Braddock Road Metro Station.  We had completed the scheduled inspection on the northbound track and, at that point, decided to turn back to inspect the southbound track walking back toward Braddock Road Station. 

About half a mile to Braddock Road Station, I noticed the watchman lookout/track inspector from WMATA waving his arms and screaming.  There was a WMATA train coming head-on in our direction, traveling about 35-45 miles per hour.  As I stepped off the track to avoid being hit by the train, I noticed the inspector from the Boyd Canton Group stumbled and was going to get hit by the oncoming train.  Without thinking twice, I went back to grab my colleague to clear him off the track.  The train missed us by seconds.  We both would’ve been fatally injured if we were hit by the train.

Q:  Wow, that was very brave of you.  What made you react that way?

Foster:  During my 20 years in the military, I was taught to “leave no man behind” and make sure the person I started my day with was with me at the end of the day.  I’d also say it’s my personal moral fortitude.  Every life matters on the railroad, even if it puts my life in danger.  And I would react the same way again if in a similar situation.  October 20, 2016 is a day I’ll always remember.

Q:  Is there anything else you’d like to share about why you enjoy working for FRA?

Foster:  I take great pride in improving railroad safety throughout the United States, and I leave the tracks every day knowing I made a difference.  I also enjoy helping people advance in their railroading careers.   I feel appreciated working as a FRA Track Safety Inspector.  I am more than just a number – I am an agent of change.

Q:  What message do you have for folks regarding railroad safety and trespassing on train tracks?

Foster:  Simply put – don’t trespass on train tracks.  Everyone has an obligation to practice safety near train tracks.  You should always be alert and aware of your surroundings.  Never take a chance trying to beat a train because you can’t estimate how fast it’s going.  Also, you never know when a train might be traveling on another track in the opposite direction.  It’s possible that you could avoid one train and step right in the path of another train traveling in the opposite direction.  It’s just not worth the risk.

Foster is lauded by his colleagues for his professionalism and dedication to railroad safety.  He’s always the first one to volunteer for special assignments and is eager to learn more. He’s persuasive, and his work ethic yields positive results.  Foster is an exemplary advocate for railroad safety and highly deserving of this honor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users