• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

We've completed the first leg of our trip - from Boston to Birmingham AL. Amtrak trains are quite good and we enjoyed the 'cozy' roomette on the Crescent. The Dining car food was great and the cafe car surprisingly empty so we rode lots of time there. Boston to New York is quite scenic but NY to AL has TOO many trees to see anything!
Thanks to all who offered advice on the forum.

One more question..... does New Orleans have a taxi stand and do taxis meet the Crescent at 7:30pm?
(we were VERY surprised by the lack of facilities at Birmingham station - I'd hate to arrive there at night)

The one time I arrived on that train there were a few cabs and I got one right away. It was a weeknight in October 07 and the train was a little late IIRC almost 9pm.

Edit to add I will be there again arriving 4pm Oct 2 dep 1:45 pm Oct 3. Unless you are spending the better part of a week in Birmingham, you will be there first.

Edited by jacorbett70, 28 September 2009 - 07:10 PM.

#12 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:40 PM

New Orleans should have plenty of cabs awaiting the arrival of the Crescent.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#13 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

The Queensboro Bridge at about 63rd Street Manhattan to Long Island is a majestic structure; it looks like a suspension bridge but actually is not. The design is a counterbalance link structure of solid tension links with the multiple spans acting as counterbalance weights. It is a design duplicated from the railway bridge across the Firth of Forth in Scotland, where the principle was first developed. The other major bridge of this design is across the St. Lawrence River at the City of Quebec in Canada.

The patent for Cantilever Bridge was held by Heinrich Gerber who is recognized as the first to build one. The Hassfurt Bridge over the Main river in Germany with a central span of 124 feet (38 meters) was completed in 1867 and is recognized as the first modern cantilever bridge. The Forth Rail Bridge was built in 1889-90. It still has the second longest cantilever span. The longest is at Quebec Rail Bridge. Around New York only the Tappan Zee Bridge makes it into the list of top ten in length of cantilever span at number 10. The Commodore Barry Bridge in Chester PA comes in at number 4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users