#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82781 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

As planning continues for the PNW Fest, it's still not too early to be considering other activities elsewhere in the country.

Many of us are going through significant expense to do the PNW Fest, and this would come close on its heels. So I just want to gauge whether enough interest exists for a possible Fest in the New York area in August. No date has yet been chosen, as my employer is relocating my work location "sometime over the summer".

The intent is to ride all LIRR lines our group has not yet ridden together, which would involve a Friday evening and all day Saturday (nothing planned for Sunday). On the agenda for Friday evening would be LIC-Babylon via Hunterspoint Ave., Jamaica, & the Central Avenue Branch (all done on one train), return on Babylon Branch. On Saturday would be the Oyster Bay, West Hempstead, and Long Beach Branches. One reason for doing it at this time is that West Hempstead service on weekends is being eliminated in September. The full Saturday includes about 43 minutes to grab lunch in West Hempstead, and if that is not enough time, a little over an hour in Long Beach in mid-afternoon.

Potential itinerary (subject to change with timetable updates) is here.

I realize it would be easier to decide if we had definite dates in mind, but I just want to see if there is any interest, especially among those who will also be on the PNW trip in July, and those who live outside the NYC area. Two long distance journeys within a short time frame may not be financially possible and it might be a problem with time off from work.

If we do pull this off, we may not meet in the New York area in January. However there are many other things we can do then, perhaps someplace new.

If this does garner an extremely postive response for August, I will work towards establishing a date, and then folks can start making hotel & travel plans.

This is something we will discuss in person during the PNW event, but I realize not all of you will be there, and that some of you need advance time to make plans for this.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82781 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

The full Saturday includes about 43 minutes to grab lunch in West Hempstead, and if that is not enough time, a little over an hour in Long Beach in mid-afternoon.

Turns out the Long Beach Branch schedules have changed significantly for the summer, and WH was adjusted slightly. The time in WH is now 45 minutes. The Long Beach Branch change is a positive one, meaning we don't have to double back and forth between Valley Stream and Jamaica but rather there's a comfortable connection from West Hempstead to Long Beach through Valley Stream. Dwell time in LB is now 44 minutes, or if people want to walk on the boardwalk or relax for a while, it can be 1 hour 44 minutes too.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82781 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

OK Potential dates would be Friday evening 8/20 and Saturday 8/21, and I've arranged to have 8/21 off from work. Many regulars have stated they cannot attend, but we have enough east coast based people who have expressed an interest. The only stumbling block could be a possible major trackwork or signal project, but so far there have been no such announcements.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

Fortunately Aug 20/21 is the only Friday/Saturday combo in August that I can do this in. So I am in.

#5 Jack615

Jack615

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

I would like to see this happen, and possibly attend this if it happens.

Jack Suslak

Bluffton SC

Boston Celtics
NBA Champs 2008

Boston Bruins 

NHL Champs 2011

Boston Red Sox
World Series Champs 2004, 2007, 2013, 2018

New England Patriots

Super Bowl Champs 2002, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users