PCRF/Portland dinner

40 replies to this topic

#31 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:48 PM

Here are my results. All seem willing to work with us to one degree or another. The hostess at Jakes was rather annoyed with my research efforts.

Seratto groups yes separate checks yes

Andina groups yes but take a credit card hold. Also 20% gratuity added for groups of 5 or more.

Jakes seafood. Yes to groups yes to separate checks. Tone of person answering phone not welcoming at all.

Mothers bistro and bar. Yes to groups and separate checks. Sometimes add a gratuity of 18% if a lot of split checks. Case by case basis.

Nel centro yes to groups. Preferred one check but would do separate. Largest group can be is 16.

I think we have more than enough choices. We can take a vote and see what happens. As in Seattle Kevin needs to finalize the itinerary. In my hotel searches I'm seeing sell outs at downtown locations so it will probably be busy. The sooner we reserve the better. I'm hoping the final decision can be determined in the next week.

Penny, thank you for your legwork in finding these restaurants. This was helpful.

Edited by steve4031, 01 June 2016 - 08:56 PM.

#32 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:55 PM

Steve, thanks for making phone calls.

Based on your research, location of restaurants in relation to transit, menu options, opinions of my friend, prices, my top three choices for Portland dinner (in order of preference) are:

1.  Henry's 12th Street Tavern

2.  Deschutes 

3.  Mother's Bistro and Bar.

Both Henry's and Deschutes are very close to the street car lines, one of which we likely will be riding on Thursday evening.

#33 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:24 AM

Based on your research, location of restaurants in relation to transit, menu options, opinions of my friend, prices, my top three choices for Portland dinner (in order of preference) are:

1.  Henry's 12th Street Tavern

2.  Deschutes 

3.  Mother's Bistro and Bar.

Both Henry's and Deschutes are very close to the street car lines, one of which we likely will be riding on Thursday evening.

I would be quite happy with any of those three, with a slight preference for Henry's or Mother's.

#34 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:04 PM

I suppose we're waiting for my top 3. Given the choices, proximity to transit, and my definition of dinner as food rather than how much alcohol one can intake and then still be hungry, my choices in order would be:

1. Henry's
2. Mother's
3. Serrato (a very distant third place, given its location in the Northwest district thus the need for a longer streetcar ride, I choose it for Italian menu).

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#35 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:30 PM

I appreciate the responses.  For the sake of consistency and ease I will count first place votes for each restaurant.  Then use 2nd place votes  as a tie breaker if necessary.  These appear to all be excellent restaurants.  I am sure we will have a great dinner in Portland. 

#36 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:39 AM

So far I am counting 3 first place votes for Henry's. Alan and grace put it second. I don't see votes for anything else at this point. If there are no changes by 5 pm central time Saturday June 11, I will make a booking for Henry's.

#37 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:44 PM

Henry's does take reservations, and they ask that we make them about 10 days ahead of time. They do take separate checks.

So if we go this route, remember that the date of the dinner is July 14th. 10 days ahead is July 4th. May be hard to remember to do so on a holiday.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#38 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:43 PM

Thx for heads up. I'll put a note in my calendar.

#39 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:46 PM

I intend to make a reservation for 9 at 5 pm at Henry's on 7/14. I will do this tomorrow when they open.

Kevin, if you think 5 is too early or too late let me know.

#40 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:41 PM

I think 5 PM seems perfect.   Assuming we are on time into Portland that gives everyone time to get to hotels, check-in and dump luggage, and return.  Nine seems to be the number, of course subject to late changes either way.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users