24 replies to this topic

#21 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

I came out ok with mine that were booked ahead of time. I did move from a 3pm Acela to a 2pm Acela in Sunday.

Arriving Union Station at 1:51pm (assuming it is on-time) is a pretty tight connection to make the 2:00pm Acela. Amtrak might even close boarding at 1:55pm.  There is no margin for error. Miss that Acela, and you're booking a walk-up fare for the next one at 4:00pm, or walk-up on a Regional. You might want to consider the 4:00pm Acela (#2220), or leaving lunch a little early to catch an earlier set of Metro's back to Union Station.

I'm on the 4:00pm Acela.

Leaving Tyson's Corner at 12:57 arrives Union Staton 1:41. 

Also - we won't know about WMATA trackwork for next weekend until early in the week; most likely on Monday. 

Ross

#22 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:30 AM

I agree, Steve, I would not do 2 PM.  In fact to play it safe if I were serious about making a 2 PM Acela I would probably forego Tysons Corner lunch entirely and just return to Washington on the Silver Line train we board from Wiehle Avenue/Reston East.

This is the pitfall I warned about, that when Amtrak does get around to realizing the error and they start rebooking people, one might not end up with the time they wanted originally.   If you have any spare time I suggest drafting your "Thank You" letter to Amtrak Customer Relations.  Because it's just about a given that when we are planning travel for wherever we end up for the 2016 Winter Fest over MLK weekend, we're going to play this game again.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#23 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:06 AM

I'm traveling with Mike Hammond and Kim too. Our plan is to depart on that 11:26 AM metro with the group and continue to union station arriving about 1225pm. I looked at the schedules and this time is exact. This allows 90 minutes for delays from track work.

#24 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:00 AM

I'm traveling with Mike Hammond and Kim too. Our plan is to depart on that 11:26 AM metro with the group and continue to union station arriving about 1225pm. I looked at the schedules and this time is exact. This allows 90 minutes for delays from track work.

That's a good plan! I think I might do the same thing. I could have a light lunch at Union Station, get the 2pm Acela and get home just after 4pm - in time for the entire late game. I'm liking it more and more.

#25 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

Just remember that your times could be 12 minutes later if they invoke a 24-minute construction window headway, and our chosen trips are not included.  They could also be 24 minutes later if this causes you to just miss a connection, say at Metro Center.   Still with 90 minutes of buffer that gives you enough time to deal with these potential delays..... and hopefully still enough time to enjoy Club Acela for a while.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users